• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Terrible news concerning nik.

623 posts in this topic

After speaking with Nik's wife earlier this evening, the Nik we all know and love is more than likely gone.

Niky had what is classified as a massive stroke. Due to the carotid artery being blocked, the entire left side of his brain was severely damaged. It will not regenerate, not even with drastic measures, i.e.drilling to alleviate pressure. His neurologist is Tedy Bruschi's doctor. It was concluded that even if they drilled he would be left with no language, receptive or expressive, no memory, no cognition, he would be on a ventilator, feeding tube and catheter.

The Niky we know could not be saved. The Niky I know would not live like that.

I want to feel sadness for Nik and his family, but all I feel is anger.

Nik was unbelievably generous. I remember once having a very minor misunderstanding with him on the boards; we cleared it all up via PM quite quickly, but for some reason I felt like he may have still had some resentment towards me. Shortly after, I posted a message on the boards asking for a U.S board member's help in getting something shipped to me. Nik was the first to volunteer. The fact that he was willing to help was nice enough, but when I asked him how much he needed to ship the item to me once he received it, he said "it's on me". So not only was he doing me a favor after I thought he had some kind of problem with me, he was also willing to go out of pocket because that was just a part of his generous nature.

I sent him more than what was required to ship to me with a message telling him to buy himself a beer on me. That tiny gesture on his part made me realize that I was the one who had a problem, and that he wasn't at all affected by the BS I projected onto him. It was a flaw in my character that he exposed with the strength of his. I was extremely humbled.

That's why I'm angry. The world needs more people like him, yet it seems that they're always the ones who are struck down too damn early.

Sounds just like Nik to me.

After speaking with Nik's wife earlier this evening, the Nik we all know and love is more than likely gone.

Niky had what is classified as a massive stroke. Due to the carotid artery being blocked, the entire left side of his brain was severely damaged. It will not regenerate, not even with drastic measures, i.e.drilling to alleviate pressure. His neurologist is Tedy Bruschi's doctor. It was concluded that even if they drilled he would be left with no language, receptive or expressive, no memory, no cognition, he would be on a ventilator, feeding tube and catheter.

The Niky we know could not be saved. The Niky I know would not live like that.

I want to feel sadness for Nik and his family, but all I feel is anger.

Nik was unbelievably generous. I remember once having a very minor misunderstanding with him on the boards; we cleared it all up via PM quite quickly, but for some reason I felt like he may have still had some resentment towards me. Shortly after, I posted a message on the boards asking for a U.S board member's help in getting something shipped to me. Nik was the first to volunteer. The fact that he was willing to help was nice enough, but when I asked him how much he needed to ship the item to me once he received it, he said "it's on me". So not only was he doing me a favor after I thought he had some kind of problem with me, he was also willing to go out of pocket because that was just a part of his generous nature.

I sent him more than what was required to ship to me with a message telling him to buy himself a beer on me. That tiny gesture on his part made me realize that I was the one who had a problem, and that he wasn't at all affected by the BS I projected onto him. It was a flaw in my character that he exposed with the strength of his. I was extremely humbled.

That's why I'm angry. The world needs more people like him, yet it seems that they're always the ones who are struck down too damn early.

a wonderful testament to the man. Thanks for sharing that.

I'm not new to the boards....maybe some people reading this are....

I must admit...I don't know who Nik is.

Sounds like a helluva guy, but I've never dealt with him, nor do I remember any Nick Posts.

Please , someone elaborate ???

What is his handle on the boards...???

Sorry for my ignorance.

And, of course....I hope he recovers well....

Remember Peter Gammons (ESPN , HOF baseball analyst) had a stroke and recovered well.

Here's wishing him the best.

[

I never met the man, but I read and enjoyed his posts. This story in itself speaks volumes for him. (thumbs u

every time i check this thread, i choke up and start to weep. i never met nik in person, but i can honestly say that i love that man. if and when he does pass on, i will mourn in my own way and celebrate his life. when his kids grow up, and wants to know what kind of man their father was, i as well as many of you, will tell them that their father, was a good man, with a great heart. i'm gonna go out a drink in his memory with a broken heart. this just effin suxs! the out pouring of love here is just totally amazing.

This is gonna sound a little strange, but nothing ever vanishes or truly goes away. It just changes form.

As long as you remember nik, he is still in your life and is still with you and a part of your life, if he ever was.

I remember a recent thread on another site I frequent. It was titled "Why do the good ones die young?".

What I wrote on that thread, I will write here.

"Good and bad leave in relatively equal numbers, but we only miss the good."

I hope this doesn't sound like too hairbrain of an idea, but the annual charity fund raiser that is held on this site, or even better, the annual Christmas Exchange program that is formed and handled on this site, could be named something like "The Nikos Christmas Gift Exchange". After all. He sort of shares a name with St. Nick!

I never met the man but I have read what he has written on this site, and more importantly, I have read what those that knew him have said concerning him. He appears to be a fine individual. When so many wish him well and put him in their thoughts and prayers, he has to be a "good one". Darn shame. I wish him well, or if that ain't in the cards, I wish him Heaven.

The world indeed needs more people like Nik.

I once sold Nik a Spidey #86 CGC 9.2 Pac Coast book. At the same time I had a transaction with Steve of Worldsbestcomics for my X-men #94 CGC 9.6.

I packed and shipped out both books at the same time.

A couple of days later I receive a PM from Nik telling me that he had receive a

beautiful X-men #94 in the mail.

It was obvious that I had mailed out the wrong books to each guy.

I remember we both had a couple of laughs about it. He assured me that he would mail the book out to Steve.

I of course insisted on paying him for the shipping charges.

Later on I remember thinking that I was sure glad that it was Nik who recieved the book by accident instead of someone else.

I am sure that most of the guys that I am tight with on the boards wouldn't have done the same, but the fact that it was NIk meant that I could sleep easy that night.

You will be missed my friend. :(

Please , someone elaborate ???

What is his handle on the boards...???

nik

Maybe Arch can edit and lock the profile as a memorial of some kind if need be? :(

I get home to read something I didn't want to read. I had a chance to meet Nik at this years Heroes show as he and Arex along with a few other boardies stood between my booth and Gators booth. This is so unfair and as I am having a hard time just writing this I am still praying for Nik and his family. My heart is hurting and the not being able to do anything about it is the worse part. I just told my wife and she is in tears after the same thing happen to her grandmother not long ago. I cant write anything else right now.

man, I know this has been said dozens of times already but I feel absolutely crushed by this.

Once I read Ze's statement I had to leave work,...

Even though I have never met Nik in person, he was always in my book one of the best

straight up joes here.

I have always considered him a linchpin of knowledge and pm'ed him numerous times

to talk over books and help me keep things in order.

When football season rolls around is when I will miss him the most.

We were like the grumpy old men when it came to trading jabs over the NFL games

week to week. He would let me have it when ever my dolphins fell and I would return the favor

when his pats would fall short...

He would have a smile on his face if he knew that I am planning on wearing a pats hat

this year in his honor.

I miss him already...

_wally

Here's to Nik.

I never knew him, nor talked or PMed him, but having read the threads and seeing how so many others have felt about him, I give my heartfelt condolence to his family, friends, and the people whose lives he touched.

At the very end of the movie 'Deerhunter' they say the words me and my buddies have been saying for the past 3 decades when we toast. The toast never changed because within it was the humbling reminder to never forget about the people we loved and lost.

Here's to Nik.

Unfortunately I never met Nik. I had one transaction with Nik where I bought a few books. We continued to chat about Mass pedigrees via PM's. He seemed like a genuinely nice guy. I am so sorry to hear about his stroke. Somebody else mentioned this but he complained about having a headache Friday evening. He was misspelling many words and said he had a headache for four days.

I am praying for him and his family.

When football season rolls around is when I will miss him the most.

We were like the grumpy old men when it came to trading jabs over the NFL games

week to week. He would let me have it when ever my dolphins fell and I would return the favor

when his pats would fall short...

Agreed. If the worst you could say about the man was that "he was a Pats fan", well then he was my kind of man.... cheers to Nik! (thumbs u

Like everyone else I have run the gamut of emotions this week, today especially. And while there will forever be a gaping hole in my heart over the loss of our dear friend I realize the best way to honor Niks life is to live our lives all the better.

Or perhaps it just helps me cope with tragedy by talking about it.

So here is one of many stories that made Nik such a special person, and friend to me.

During a conversation years ago Nik mentioned he had tons of Disney Animation Cells. I asked about which ones he had and if he would ever sell one to me for my daughter. He asked me what characters my daughter liked and I said Dumbo, she loves Dumbo! We talked for awhile he went and looked and said most of the nicer cells were framed and in his kids rooms....no biggy. I moved on none the worse and forgot about them.

So fast forward many months and he sends me a HUGE box during the Holiday Season ,in it there was a wrapped gift for Ellen(my 5 year old) Christmas morning came and we set about opening our gifts and when Ellen was opening her gift from Nik I had a inkling of what was inside, but was not sure because Nik just chuckled whenever I asked what he sent(typical torturous Nik!)

Ellen sat and stared, as we all did at what he sent. A matted, framed Dumbo and Timothy Disney Cell. To this day it is still one of Ellen's favorite things.

This is classic Nik. Thoughtful, generous and top shelf all the way without EVER expecting anything in return and I will never, ever forget it.

Somebody else mentioned this but he complained about having a headache Friday evening. He was misspelling many words and said he had a headache for four days.

I am praying for him and his family.

If only what we all know now was known then and maybe it could have been stopped before it happened. My mother was lucky 8 years ago when she had a rare aneurysm that affected her vision and gave her headaches over a longer period.

She was saved by surgery in time.

All the more reason we need to look at our own health and make those around us aware of our medical history and family heath history so sudden tragedies like this have more chance of being prevented.

I've been at work, at soccer, and I come home to find out that Nik's not going to be ok in this world. A tear comes to my eye. We've all seen the kind of Man Nik is and was on the boards. I feel an incredible sense of loss.

All my heart goes out to your Family Nik......you will be missed. :-( :sorry:

I will keep my beater reader Brave and the Bold 28 that you sold me for a paltry $75 shipped and always remember you and the hobby you enjoyed.

Boardies, please remember to be generous in helping the family, I already see how incredible this place is. Let's make it a testament to Nik and the man he will always be.

Collin

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

The first thing I check when I get on the boards is to see how Nik is doing, when I saw that there were so many posts, I knew this couldn't be good.

I just got on late tonight to take a peek and was hit with the exact same thought when i saw the huge bump in posts. Not at all what I was expecting the outcome to be.

But, there's still hope - miracles do happen... :sumo: