• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
23 23

4,796 posts in this topic

RK-13.jpg

Looks VERY Severinesque. At least the inks do.

I think so too. GCD guesses that's it's either Severin or Kane pencils with Severin inks. It seems pretty likely to me since Severin did the covers on Ringo Kid #12 and 14. And the cowboys with the masks have some Kane-like qualities to them. Maybe Kane did a rough layout and Severin finished it up. Either way, I'd say calling it a John Severin cover is a safe bet.

RK-13.jpg

I think so too. GCD guesses that's it's either Severin or Kane pencils with Severin inks. It seems pretty likely to me since Severin did the covers on Ringo Kid #12 and 14. And the cowboys with the masks have some Kane-like qualities to them. Maybe Kane did a rough layout and Severin finished it up. Either way, I'd say calling it a John Severin cover is a safe bet.

I'd lean towards Severin over Kane...the figures are just not as fluid to me as Kane usually is capable of doing.

I'm not familiar with Kane's work on Westerns but it just doesn't strike me as Kane's work...I could be wrong.

For some reason (probably due to all the red, black, and motley browns used), the issues directly after the 25-cent Pictureframe squarebounds tend to be tough in very high grade as well.

Only two 9.8s on the census, this is one of them. Probably heading to an auction near you soon.

FF117CGC98OW.jpg

RK-13.jpg

I'd lean towards Severin over Kane...the figures are just not as fluid to me as Kane usually is capable of doing.

I'm not familiar with Kane's work on Westerns but it just doesn't strike me as Kane's work...I could be wrong.

Of the 30 picture-frames credited to Serverin, 22 were signed with his last name, 4 were signed with his initials, and 4 didn't have a visible signature (none that I could tell of anyway).

Two additional PF books bare the Kane and Severin monikers. The line artist names appear as penciller and inker, respectively (see images below).

RK#13 is an interesting study. During my research I came across several references that independently give credited to Kane, while others proposed a joint collaboration. Nothing, however, was definitive.

If I were to venture a guess, I would say that the cover for RK#13 was indeed a joint effort, with some additional refinement by the bullpen staff.

TGK-102-103_raw.jpg

TGK-102-103_raw.jpg

Those are both great covers.

Anybody know why Two-Gun Kids in this era are much harder to find than Rawhide Kids and Kid Colts? I know Two-Gun was only published bi-monthly and was mostly reprints. But Kid Colt was a reprint book too and they're much easier to find, raw or slabbed.

Anybody know why Two-Gun Kids in this era are much harder to find than Rawhide Kids and Kid Colts? I know Two-Gun was only published bi-monthly and was mostly reprints. But Kid Colt was a reprint book too and they're much easier to find, raw or slabbed.

Perhaps affidavit returns, wholesalers and distributors not wanting to deal with the product month-over-month, and the Seuling types of the world (who speculated in "fan favorites") had something to do with the (now) apparent low availability.

As far as the favorites go, I know I didn't want anything to do with reprints, westerns, and romance books back then. They were lame! For the collectors in my area it was all about superheroes, and nothing more.

Anybody know why Two-Gun Kids in this era are much harder to find than Rawhide Kids and Kid Colts?

Because I bought them all? (shrug)

Half-joking to be sure, but around 2000-2004 I noticed these were priced *much* lower than other PF books, so for awhile I kept buying out all the major dealers when they had a 9.X copy in stock. :insane:

Anybody know why Two-Gun Kids in this era are much harder to find than Rawhide Kids and Kid Colts?

Because I bought them all? (shrug)

Half-joking to be sure, but around 2000-2004 I noticed these were priced *much* lower than other PF books, so for awhile I kept buying out all the major dealers when they had a 9.X copy in stock. :insane:

That could do it. I doubt there were a ton of high grade Two-Gun Kid collections to begin with. And one or two guys snagging anything available would make a big difference.

Some new arrivals. (Thanks, Greggy.)

Wow, how did you pry those out of greggy's clutches?

Maybe just a case of right place, right time. I saw Greg at the NY show and he told me about the Kid Colt. When he sent me the scan later, he also offered me the Harveys. So no real prying involved.

I only bought a few books at the show. But running into Greg and ultimately getting these books was worth the trip to the Javits Center.

Finally finished my picture-frame study.

It was quite the undertaking, but a lot of fun. :)

I was able to get copies of every cover, map the books to a production timeline,

and then identify each cover artists (with the exception of two).

By the way, here's an interesting side.

Gil Kane is credited with 120 covers, which equates to about 30% of the production run.

He is followed by John Buscema, a distant second, with 44 covers.

Gotta love the Picture-Frames~!

(Feedback welcomed. :hi:)

picture-frame-timeline.gif

MC this is pretty awesome, it will come in handy since it looks like I'm hooked on these picture frames books.

Avengers #92 is cover month dated Sept/1971 and Avengers#93 is November/1971 which is impossible seeing their indicias state published MONTHLY inside, but it some how happened and its history. Based on this interesting fact this means Avengers #93 should NOT have been the first published Picture frame Avengers book and Avengers #94 would have been if this Marvel blunder would NOT have occurred. Very interesting indeed!

Avengers #92 is cover month dated Sept/1971 and Avengers#93 is November/1971 which is impossible seeing their indicias state published MONTHLY inside, but it some how happened and its history. Based on this interesting fact this means Avengers #93 should NOT have been the first published Picture frame Avengers book and Avengers #94 would have been if this Marvel blunder would NOT have occurred. Very interesting indeed!

That is interesting, but it may not be the result of a Marvel blunder, but rather the slow speed with which Neal Adams was completing the penciling on the title.

I'm glad the work on Avengers 93 wasn't rushed, because the interior is my favorite Adams work for Marvel, and one of my favorite combinations of story and art for the entire Bronze Age.

Some new arrivals. (Thanks, Greggy.)

KidColt159-96.jpg

So Greggy posted some Harvey's earlier in the thread, and now he's helped you fill some Harvey holes... with completely different books, no less.

So what's the deal...?

Is Greggy bograting all the Harveys, or what? (shrug)

You got some keepers there, GT! (worship)

BTW... I just love that crimson-red Kid cover.

The look of that old-timer drawing down lead on the Kid is classic~! :cloud9: