• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
23 23

4,797 posts in this topic

If you are going to talk about classic Gil Kane Pictureframe covers, this one is in my Top Five easily. The colors really pop against a snow white background.

MarvelTales35CGC98White.jpg

wow.gif

Hot damn! That is one smokin' copy!

Gil Kane's cover interpretation of ASM#49 is freaking incredible.

Marvel Tales #35 has ALWAYS captured my four-color imagination.

And it is one of the single best examples how the employment of the picture-frame enables a 3-D effect.

Every time I see this book I feel like I need to catch Spider-Man as he's falling right off the cover!

Look here folks... I’m gonna go out on a limb.

I have always felt that the cover of MT#35 was superior to the original.

That's right, I said it. Comic-book blasphemy though it is. Kane got it right, Romita didn't.

At the end of the day, I honestly don't care what the traditionalist has to say.

The fact of the matter is quite simple... the cover of MT#35 is freaking CLASSIC~!

Thx for sharing the scans and stories behind them, George. Also thx to Master Chief and Ghost Town for posting more amazing copies. The picture frame reprints with new cover art are great books to target, and it's always a thrill to see the finest examples of forty year old comics.

I'm blown away not only by the extraordinary numerical grades of your examples, but also the exceptional cover color preservation and page quality. Marvel seemed to use their worst paper stock for these reprint books, and finding examples with bright cover whites and snowy pages is nearly impossible.

Now who's got a sweet copy of Thor #198?

Geez, I guess you're right Bob...most of these books are nearing the 40-year old threshold, just like Yours Truly. :eek:

If there is any one item I take issue with in the Overstreet Guide, its how neglected the Pictureframe reprint books have been. Its absolutely silly that many of them are still under $10 in 9.2 Guide.

showoff. :grin:

I have to. This thread is the only place in the world where somebody might appreciate how hard it is to find a non-reprint super-hero book from 1972 in high grade.

There some other tough Thors from this era. Although they're not as hard to find in 9.4+ as #198. It took me a long time to find 9.6 copies of #195, 197, 204 & 205. I'm still looking for a #206. Iron Man #44 is another oddly tough super-hero book.

I can understand it when Millie the Model and Li'l Pals are hard to find in high grade. But it's surprising for a mainstream super-hero book from 1972.

showoff. :grin:

I have to. This thread is the only place in the world where somebody might appreciate how hard it is to find a non-reprint super-hero book from 1972 in high grade.

There some other tough Thors from this era. Although they're not as hard to find in 9.4+ as #198. It took me a long time to find 9.6 copies of #195, 197, 204 & 205. I'm still looking for a #206. Iron Man #44 is another oddly tough super-hero book.

I can understand it when Millie the Model and Li'l Pals are hard to find in high grade. But it's surprising for a mainstream super-hero book from 1972.

As the buyer of your Thor #198 undercopy, I can appreciate what a find your 9.6 copy with great registration is. I started buying Thors off the rack with issue 200, and unfortunately none of the early ones survived in top shape - my original copy of 205 graded 9.0, and it's still in my collection as my top copy.

Sweet books, guys. And curse you for getting me psyched about them again. I need to have a big weekend at the warehouse packing glasses. Instead, I see myself bagging and boarding.

I know I've posted these elsewhere, but am shocked I never did in this thread.

The 158 is from Mile High. Got it for a song about 5 yrs ago during a sale (slabbed already, of course).

The 162 is from Al Stoltz. Sweet unpressed book from 2 yrs ago. I think both are still highest slabbed, which says something for their scarcity in grade. Sorry for the lousy pics--my scanner is even worse with slabs.

105545.jpg.7b17d6b9549f63670d0ad5a7534fee09.jpg

105547.jpg.884998bfdd3ba32021081cb8cc70b85b.jpg

The troll picked up Thor's hammer. What's up with that?

That ain't no run of the mill troll, that's Mangog. The living embodiment of an entire planet. :grin: Gawd, I love Thor stories.

I posted the Northland copy of Journey into Mystery #1 last month, but the original auction scan I used didn't do the book justice. So it is posted again – thanks to a new scanner – and just in time for Halloween.

Also posted is JIM#2, which is another one of my all-time favorite PF horror covers.

When the original cover art to JIM#2 sold several years ago, the auction description perfectly described this magnificent work of art:

"Gil Kane - Original Cover Art for Journey Into Mystery #2 (Marvel, 1972). Robert Bloch's immortal short story "Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper" is finally adapted to comics, and the legendary Gil Kane is tapped to render the cover -- a rare combination of talents that led to one of the finest horror covers of the '70s. In a rare and innovate move, the figure of Jack was rendered on transparent vellum, and then overlaid onto an inked Bristol board, lending him an eerie translucent quality that is especially striking when viewed in person. "

JIM-1_9-4_northland.jpg

JIM-2_9-4.jpg