• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
23 23

4,796 posts in this topic

Again, Don Rosa did good things for us Picture Frame fans. His Monster and Western books seem like they're some of the best stuff out there.

It's too bad he didn't collect the romance or humor books too. It seems like nobody kept titles like My Love or Millie The Model in good shape.

Again, Don Rosa did good things for us Picture Frame fans. His Monster and Western books seem like they're some of the best stuff out there.

It's too bad he didn't collect the romance or humor books too. It seems like nobody kept titles like My Love or Millie The Model in good shape.

You're spot-on, GT.

Rosa is one of the few who took special care of non-superhero books.

I'll try and scan up more Rosa Monsters tomorrow and post them in the ol' Halloween spirit.

DonRosaCollectionPic.jpg

Some new arrivals. (Thanks, Greggy.)

Wow, how did you pry those out of greggy's clutches?

Maybe just a case of right place, right time. I saw Greg at the NY show and he told me about the Kid Colt. When he sent me the scan later, he also offered me the Harveys. So no real prying involved.

I only bought a few books at the show. But running into Greg and ultimately getting these books was worth the trip to the Javits Center.

The Harvey # 4 & # 5 came out of my (once) Epic Pictureframe collection. :acclaim:

I don't know...there are a couple of them floating around. :whistle:

OurLoveStory18cgc96front.jpg

Wow! The registration on that book is s-t-r-a-i-g-h-t!

Nope, while it is a beautiful book, it's actually off-set noticeably, similar to the My Love posted above.

I;d still take it off your hands, but there are better examples of totally straight-cuts posted on here.

TGK-102-103_raw.jpg

The Harvey # 4 & # 5 came out of my (once) Epic Pictureframe collection. :acclaim:

George, did you ever own high grade copies of other romance books? Or Millie the Model? Or Two-Gun Kid? Other than your Our Love #18, I've never seen a 9.4+ copy of any of those titles.

George, did you ever own high grade copies of other romance books? Or Millie the Model? Or Two-Gun Kid? Other than your Our Love #18, I've never seen a 9.4+ copy of any of those titles.

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

Greggy bought a lot of the romance stuff, don't know if he still has it, but by memory, I know he got the My Love # 14 and several others (though he only bought the raw 8.5/9.2 stuff, the better material was slabbed). I had a couple of Two-Gun kids as well.

I hung onto some of the reprint Superhero books, especially the Marvel Tales and the Marvel's Greatest Comics, some of them still being top-census copies years after submission.

Part of me wishes I didn't give up on the goal of assembling a complete high grade Pictureframe collection, especially as the market downturn of the last few years has made the superhero issues more readily affordable. But, I long ago came to the conclusion that it was a near impossibility, short of another Don Rosa or Oakland type complete collection coming to market. About a fourth of the 400 or so Pictureframe issues are just really, really tough, if not downright impossible to find in 9.4+ type shape.

Nowadays I just buy high grade Schomburg books, you know, cause that's just so much easier and cheaper. :P

Besides My Love 14, Millie # 193, and Special Marvel Edition # 4, this one is right there as one of the tough 25-cent Pictureframes in HG.

Funny story with this book....originally acquired it from Bob Storms in a big Bronze collection he purchased in 2004. Graded it as a 9.2/9.4. I was at MegaCon in 2005 helping out Brent from Qualitycomix and Howard Rockman of Howard's comics. I had several shortboxes of stuff that I wanted to sell, and Howard picked out about $3k worth of books. However, I had this book mistakingly in with the rest of the "for sale" stuff. Howard pulls it and puts it in his pile...when I see it, I tell him its not for sale. He tells me he either buys it all, or buys nothing.

Well, at the time, $3k was more valuable to me then any one book, so I reluctantly sell it to him with the others. Several months later, I check out his listings on ebay, and find this copy, now slabbed as a 9.6. Needless to say, I made sure I got it back, and I think I paid less then what I sold it for, and now it had a neat plastic case and label that verified it as the best existing copy to boot.

MGC34CGC96.jpg

These two were acquired from Max Rodel (Mrodel on eBay) who has been steadily selling off his OO run of Bronze Marvels for the past few years.

The # 38 is tied with one other (I think the Rosa copy) as the highest in the census, with no others better then 7.0. The # 40 is alone in the census.

MarvelTales38cgc96White.jpg

MarvelTales40cgc96White.jpg

But, I long ago came to the conclusion that it was a near impossibility, short of another Don Rosa or Oakland type complete collection coming to market. About a fourth of the 400 or so Pictureframe issues are just really, really tough, if not downright impossible to find in 9.4+ type shape.

That's a huge part of why I enjoy collecting these books so much. It's a fun challenge. For most of the titles I collect, I haven't bought raw copies in a very long time (except for new books). But in the last couple years, I've been picking through dealer's raw boxes and rolling the dice on eBay hoping to come across decent PF books. I found a raw copy of Sgt. Fury #99 at the NY show a few weeks ago. I just found out that CGC graded it a 9.4. It made my day.

George and Jim, those are just some super-sweet copies.

I've never found a remotely nice copy of M's Greatest 37.

Here's a book I found in a $2 bin at C2E2. The bottom edge is an artifact from scanning in a mylite. It's actually incredibly sharp and crisp.

IMG-42.jpg