• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

have you ever had any comics stolen from you?

24 posts in this topic

back in the summer of 93 my parents went out of town and i had a big party,unfortunately i trusted all of the people there and when i looked at my comics that i had hanging up on my wall i noticed 3 were missing.they were avengers#1 in fine,amaz spiderman annual#1 vg,and amaz spiderman#3 fine.i was pissed and never found out who it was. i later replaced the spideys but never the avengers.

back in the summer of 93 my parents went out of town and i had a big party,unfortunately i trusted all of the people there and when i looked at my comics that i had hanging up on my wall i noticed 3 were missing.

Exact same thing happened to Nicholas Cage. He lost Action 1, Detective 14 & Detective 27 when he had a party and they were stolen from his wall.

Yes, I had one comic book stolen from me.

The year was 1974. I was in sixth grade, attended parochial school and I was terrified of the nuns. And I loved comic books. Spider-Man was my favorite and I loved buying anything associated with him. My only source of back issues was trading with my friends, but they usually bought the same comics I got from the newstand.

One day a classmate shows up with a coverless copy of Marvel Tales 43. Holy cow! I had never seen anything like it! I had to have it! So I went home and looked over my massive collection. Of course, I had may be 120 books, but I thought no one on earth had as many comics as me. I spotted Amazing Spider-Man 115. I had read it so many times that it was a bit worn (in today's terms probably a VG copy). I knew that issue's story inside and out that I felt I could part with it.

The next morning before school, I traded a VG Spidey 115 for a coverless Marvel Tales 43. My comic book buddies told me it was not a good trade. I didn't care. I would be able to read a brand new Spider-Man story. I felt like I just pulled off the deal of the year.

School started and I put my treasure in my book bag in the class closet. The closet was located in the back of the room separated by a partition. At morning recess, I went to the closet area to look at the comic book. It was gone! Oh my God! People usually go into therapy because of parochial school. I knew I would be in therapy for the rest of my life because of this outrage.

I was miserable at recess. My comic book buds asked me what was the matter. After I told them of my horrible discovery, word of my tragedy spread throughout the school yard. Within minutes, word got back to me that Oscar had been seen in the closet during class. He was the type of kid who was always getting into trouble, but he was tough and you never wanted to get in his way. The rest of the morning I wondered how I was going to get the comic back. Heck, where did he hide it? I didn't even know what type of book bag or knapsack he had. Did he hide it in his desk?

At lunch time, the nuns would dismiss the students by row. Those that sat at attention would go first. Oscar's row would probably be dismissed last, as he would never sit at still. My row went first or second. I casually walked by his desk and quickly glanced at his desk top and book area under his seat. There it was! My precious Marvel Tales was sandwiched in a notebook located right under his seat.

I went to lunch wondering how I was going to get the comic without Oscar knowing I took it back. The only way to do it was to sneak back into the classroom during lunch, take the comic back and then sneak back out to the playground. What if I got caught by the nuns? I never had gotten into any trouble before. If I got caught, I might go to hell, or worse, get sent to the principal's office. I had to chance it.

In the playground, I looked around to see if anyone was looking at me. I slowly walked up the stairs to the school building. The door was unlocked. Great! I opened it and walked in. The hallway was clear. My classroom was several doors away. I quickly moved to my classroom door, and looked in through the small glass pane in the door. Nobody was in there. I turned the knob and scampered to Oscar's desk. My heart was beating furiously. I pulled out his notebook, opened it and stole back my beloved Marvel Tales 43.

Now, where to hide it? I couldn't put it in my book bag. That was obvisously not a safe place. I could hide it in my notebook, but I would place my notebook behind some text books where it could not be easily seen. Yes, that was the answer! I hid my comic and made my way out of the classroom and back to the school yard. Whew, I think I made it! At the end of the day, I safely got my treasure home. That day was a good day in my life.

I always wondered what happened to Oscar. Did he end up in jail, welfare or political office? And what ever happened to that Marvel Tales 43? To this day, I don't know where it is. I know there is a moral to this story, but I don't know what it is. Oh well, I guess that's life.

Have had comics stolen from me three times.

1) When I was about 21, just before I got married, a former girlfriend talked her way in my house with the ruse: " I forgot something the last time I was here two months ago". The roommates did not notice anything unusual and she catred off w/ my ASM 1 - 55 run. Make a long story short I huffed and puffed and blew the house down and threatened her with interstate "hot goods" as she moved back to Raleigh, NC area( Scotlandneck) and a few weeks later her mother Prioritied them back. Oh, the catch: the ASM 1 was never recovered. Her mother badgered her and insisted that the ASM 1 was not in my hobby closet when she took the others. Either she was lying( still, and I could not trust her, thus I got rid of her), or someone else snaked off w/ ASM 1. Just to get rid of her( again) I forgot about it.

2) We had to vacate the condo off Saratoga Ave. Dec 13, 2003 when the next door neighbors' propane cannister caught fire and nearly burned us all. It was the wife, two daughters and two neices and myself loading up box after box of comics until the Fire Marshall stopped us. We were forced to leave some long boxes outside as they could not all fit in the vehicles we had. When we were allowed back, we discovered that an entire box of MINT Witchblades were gone, along with a box of ASM CGC'd price variants.

3) About 2005 the oldest daughter was seeing this Marine that drove all the way up from Camp Pendelton, stayed w/ friends when possible, etc. He was the last person seen in the comics room when my FF 1 turned up missing. The daughter swears that she knew nothing about his behavior, but let's face it: things happen. He broke up w/ her very shortly afterwards. Just to get rid of him( he was threatening to beat her over the various stupid macho mens stuff that this type pulls over on women) so just to get rid of him, I dropped it.

Having learned my lessons well, the primo stuff is in a Vault I rent( and the FBI is upstairs off Victoria Ave. in Ventura), and the guest house is the CAL office. Bay alarm, video, and now we have a dog as well. All covered under Insurance, of course, but still: no more missing stuff.

CAL learned the hard way

I used to own a comic book store in Belgium. I have seen book been stolen under my nose... I know who took it but they worked with three to distract me...

The worst however where 2 break ins I had to deal with... Only change was missing, but the damage was always horror (and security started to cost me a bomb!)... but I guess that's the world we live in!

The year was 1974. I was in sixth grade, attended parochial school and I was terrified of the nuns. And I loved comic books. Spider-Man was my favorite and I loved buying anything associated with him. My only source of back issues was trading with my friends, but they usually bought the same comics I got from the newstand.

One day a classmate shows up with a coverless copy of Marvel Tales 43. Holy cow! I had never seen anything like it! I had to have it! So I went home and looked over my massive collection. Of course, I had may be 120 books, but I thought no one on earth had as many comics as me. I spotted Amazing Spider-Man 115. I had read it so many times that it was a bit worn (in today's terms probably a VG copy). I knew that issue's story inside and out that I felt I could part with it.

The next morning before school, I traded a VG Spidey 115 for a coverless Marvel Tales 43. My comic book buddies told me it was not a good trade. I didn't care. I would be able to read a brand new Spider-Man story. I felt like I just pulled off the deal of the year.

School started and I put my treasure in my book bag in the class closet. The closet was located in the back of the room separated by a partition. At morning recess, I went to the closet area to look at the comic book. It was gone! Oh my God! People usually go into therapy because of parochial school. I knew I would be in therapy for the rest of my life because of this outrage.

I was miserable at recess. My comic book buds asked me what was the matter. After I told them of my horrible discovery, word of my tragedy spread throughout the school yard. Within minutes, word got back to me that Oscar had been seen in the closet during class. He was the type of kid who was always getting into trouble, but he was tough and you never wanted to get in his way. The rest of the morning I wondered how I was going to get the comic back. Heck, where did he hide it? I didn't even know what type of book bag or knapsack he had. Did he hide it in his desk?

At lunch time, the nuns would dismiss the students by row. Those that sat at attention would go first. Oscar's row would probably be dismissed last, as he would never sit at still. My row went first or second. I casually walked by his desk and quickly glanced at his desk top and book area under his seat. There it was! My precious Marvel Tales was sandwiched in a notebook located right under his seat.

I went to lunch wondering how I was going to get the comic without Oscar knowing I took it back. The only way to do it was to sneak back into the classroom during lunch, take the comic back and then sneak back out to the playground. What if I got caught by the nuns? I never had gotten into any trouble before. If I got caught, I might go to hell, or worse, get sent to the principal's office. I had to chance it.

In the playground, I looked around to see if anyone was looking at me. I slowly walked up the stairs to the school building. The door was unlocked. Great! I opened it and walked in. The hallway was clear. My classroom was several doors away. I quickly moved to my classroom door, and looked in through the small glass pane in the door. Nobody was in there. I turned the knob and scampered to Oscar's desk. My heart was beating furiously. I pulled out his notebook, opened it and stole back my beloved Marvel Tales 43.

Now, where to hide it? I couldn't put it in my book bag. That was obvisously not a safe place. I could hide it in my notebook, but I would place my notebook behind some text books where it could not be easily seen. Yes, that was the answer! I hid my comic and made my way out of the classroom and back to the school yard. Whew, I think I made it! At the end of the day, I safely got my treasure home. That day was a good day in my life.

I always wondered what happened to Oscar. Did he end up in jail, welfare or political office? And what ever happened to that Marvel Tales 43? To this day, I don't know where it is. I know there is a moral to this story, but I don't know what it is. Oh well, I guess that's life.

Really well told! Great childhood story!

Great story and as Iggy stated...well told! :headbang:

A couple but they werent worth much, so..

In middle school, a girl I knew stole some of my Archie comics from me. She was dumb enough to brag to a bunch of people about it. I told my mom when I got home from school, and she drove out to the girls house and snatched my comics back. The girls mom tried to make me feel bad for not letting the girl keep my comics, and my mom called her a bunch of mean names and we left.

I had been collecting every DC/Marvel/Atlas book since the Summer of 1960. In the Spring of 1965, a former friend of mine from my neighborhood called me (he had moved at least 15 miles away). He stated a friend of his was interested in seeing/perhaps buying some comics (he knew of my collection).

Guy rides his bike to my house (yep, one LONG ride). We go down and look at my collection (he was a marvel reader only),and we talk books. He asks if I will sell Hulk #1 to him for $3. Its a pretty nice copy as I remember, as I use to keep my books in nice condition, stacked them vertically and opposite so they would stay "crisp", and my dad had built special shelving for the books in the basement that was high off he floor (in case of a flood). The books were away from sunlight in a nice cool, dry environment. Most of my books were real nice -I can even remember bagging them in the new product "baggies" that were used for sandwiches originally, but now came in larger sizes (this was before comic bags).

I agreed to the sale of Hulk #1, and we completed the transaction downstairs. Remember, I'm a kid and $3 will buy a lot more books at 12 cents, and I couldn't believe anyone would offer that amount of money for a comic.

He gets ready to leave, and asks me if I'd go get him a glass of water. No problem, I go upstairs to get him water, leaving him downstairs,

A few months later I'm going through my books, and notice Fantastic Four #1 and #5 are missing (I did not own #2-4, but had the rest of the run). Look everywhere for them w/in all my collection (and i was stickler about keeping the books in order). Guess where they went? Called my friend, and his number was disconnected (years later I found out his family had moved).

The good news is he never touched the Spidermans, AAF collection (including #15) or any other book.

Bottom line is I sold my Marvel collection circa 1973, so i would have parted with the issues anyway (I did keep my DC collection)..

Lessons learned...

My parents split when i was 8 on 1980. My Dad moved out and took the comics with him.

Short of cash he agreed to sell some books to a freind's son who collected. He turned up with a friend (the Steve H of my sig line).

Both guys were admiring my dads collection (Every mainstream Marvel and many DC since Summer 1962). One of them, not sure which one, bought Amazing Fantasy 15 for £20 ($28ish) or £25.

Steve H borrowed 57 comics from my Dad. After he did this he saw my Dad again and said he would return the comics. Of course he never did.

According to the other guy who brought him, he moved to London to be an artist.

When i was 14 my Dad gave me the entire collection and among it i found the list of books written out by Steve H. I no longer have the list but i remember most of the books:

ASM 1 - 10

XMEN 1 - 10

AVENGERS 1 - 10

The list also included a few Nick Fury's, Hulks, IMSM etc.

When i catalogued the collection for the first time i noticed certain books were missing. These books filled in the gap.

Did Steve H mean to keep the books? Well yeah i think so, maybe he didn't mean to from the start but once he had them he didnt want to let go, he knew where my Dad lived after all....

This is our family's version of our crown jewels being stolen. Still i would've sold them to silveracre in '95, so at least he didn't get them.

Neil

I have actually come to think about it. My former best friend and I used to collect together, always going to the LCS and ordering from mail orders and stuff. He was a Superman collector and I was into Batman - seemed perfect really.

We both started branching out into different stuff when Preacher came out. We both jumped on it straight away and started collecting the run. We were renting out a place at the time too, so there were basically comics everywhere, but we both knew whose stuff was where all of the time. My longboxes were rammed full so I put the first 6 issues of my Preachers into one of his boxes as he had acres of room.

The time came for me to move out a few months later and I asked him for my Preachers. He said he didn't have them, and I was pretty gobsmacked. I reminded him I'd put them in one of his longboxes but he denied it. I moved out without the books, I couldn't bring myself to go through someone elses stuff to find my own. I did bring it up a few times more as we played in the same band for a couple of years, but he always laughed saying he didn't have them.

We haven't spoken for a few years now, and I've replaced my Preachers, #1 and #2 in SS (Thanks Pat (worship) ) :cloud9:

Great Story! I can relate to the parochial school experience...I was afraid of our principal, Sister JoAnne.