• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Key Bronze Age story arcs

30 posts in this topic

Im looking to change the way I hunt for books and am looking for ideas.

What do you consider key story arcs in the bronze age? Not necessarily just Key issues but actual story arcs and the issues they encompass.

Try Our Army at War #256 - #260.

Sgt. Rock goes solo in the Pacific. Great storyline, and you will not find 5 consecutive issues with better art anywhere in the bronze age (imho). The work by Russ Heath was, frankly, mind-blowing.

th_oaaw256.jpgth_oaaw257.jpgth_oaaw258.jpgth_oaaw259.jpgth_oaaw260.jpg

I would add the Michael-Korvac Saga from Avengers, The Strange Tales-Warlock Magus Saga, The Siseneg story from Marvel Premiere and Doctor Strange 1-5, the entire run of UXM from '75-'82 (and, finally, I know I am lame) I loved the run where Ben Grimm lost his rocks and Luke Cage and Thundra filled in somewhere like FF 160-170

From DC the Manhunter stories, the Spectre Adventure run, the Marshall Rogers Detective run, the first twenty issues of the GL/GA reboot.

It's a good start.

(and, finally, I know I am lame) I loved the run where Ben Grimm lost his rocks and Luke Cage and Thundra filled in somewhere like FF 160-170

While I'm not sure these are "classic" I also enjoyed these quite a bit, and even into the Galactus story in the 170's and the Frightful Four/Brute in the 180's-up.

Those were good times for FF fans.

Funny I was thinking of asking the very same question earlier today.

I love Project Pegasus form Marvel 2 in 1 #53-58 ithink. I know its not a classic but i loved it as a kid and again as an adult.

Neil (thumbs u

Claremont/Byrne X-Men 108-143, especially the Hellfire Club/Dark Phoenix stuff from #129-#137. You also have the beginnings of Wolverine's origin here with Alpha Flight, Sauron, Starjammers, Magneto, etc... I just about crapped myself right now thinking about how excellent that whole run was. Highly recommended if you haven't read them.

I'd add Avengers 141 - 149 (sans 145 and 146), The Serpent Crown Affair, and repeated slugfests with the Squadron Supreme/Sinister. :cloud9:

OH, and the short, but ever so sweet Avengers 164 - 166 battle against the super powered Count Nefaria. Now, that's classic.

I would add the Michael-Korvac Saga from Avengers, The Strange Tales-Warlock Magus Saga, The Siseneg story from Marvel Premiere and Doctor Strange 1-5, the entire run of UXM from '75-'82 (and, finally, I know I am lame) I loved the run where Ben Grimm lost his rocks and Luke Cage and Thundra filled in somewhere like FF 160-170

From DC the Manhunter stories, the Spectre Adventure run, the Marshall Rogers Detective run, the first twenty issues of the GL/GA reboot.

It's a good start.

I am reading those runs right now, some amazing stuff, not dated at all. why can`t I find moderns as good?

battle96.jpg

165007-18058-112804-1-detective-comics_super.jpg

starlin1.jpg

I am reading those runs right now, some amazing stuff, not dated at all. why can`t I find moderns as good?

Because moderns blow?

I notice Marvel is heavily represented here, which is only fair, because DC wasn't

really in the "story arc" business as much in the 1970's. The Sand Superman saga,

although it launched a decade of my favorite Superman material, doesn't really age that

well as a story.

Maybe DC didn't have as many "epic" storylines, but they sure had a helluva lot of

entertaining one and two issues stories. In the early '70's. the Justice League just seemed so cool to me. I had issues 99-101 as a 6 year old and it was mind blowing.

I've always enjoyed material from both companies, but the older I get, the more I feel like the

DC stuff has really hung with me.

Try Our Army at War #256 - #260.

Sgt. Rock goes solo in the Pacific. Great storyline, and you will not find 5 consecutive issues with better art anywhere in the bronze age (imho). The work by Russ Heath was, frankly, mind-blowing.

th_oaaw256.jpgth_oaaw257.jpgth_oaaw258.jpgth_oaaw259.jpgth_oaaw260.jpg

I had issue 259 that was a beater from a lot. The artwork was stunning and made me want to consider collecting these issues but I am just not a war person. Here's the splash page from that issue.

SgtRock.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions. I want to start collecting good stories as opposed to just pretty books and complete runs. This gives me a great start in exploring the bronze age.

If you can think of some good DC story arcs (1 or 2 issues) I would love to hear the suggestions. If all I have to buy are 1 or 2 issues for a great story all the better...less cost..more stories to buy.

I can't remember the exact issues, but it was Defenders, and Doc Strange had everyone manifested inside the Hulks brain to somehow help the Hulk regain control-to the extent he could, or break some demonic possesion, it's cloudy but it was a good story arc.