• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a cgc 9.8 house of secrets 92?

55 posts in this topic

Would a HOS 92 9.8 sell for 20k? It might.
HOS #92, DC comics version of ''Hulk #181'' hm

Except for there are no 9.9 or 9.8 copies floating around yet, it had an outstanding story, the cover has history behind it with Wrightson's love of Louise Simonson, and the artwork is some of the best to come out of the Bronze Age.

Other than that - you are dead-on!

Would a HOS 92 9.8 sell for 20k? It might.

A few months ago I would have said no way, but after some of the prices we've seen lately for "highest grade" BA books, nothing would surprise me anymore.

ComicConnect sold the single highest Green Lantern #76 in 9.6 for 30K+ recently, claiming the highest ever spent for a bronze book at auction. OSPG FINALLY has put GL #76 past HOS #92 in the 9.2 range, $1200 for GL and $1050 for HOS. The GL #76 has had huge jumps in the past two guides due to the large sums being realized at auction for 9.2+ copies. I didn't realize when I made my last post that there are zero HOS 9.8s yet slabbed. I'd have to revise my estimate upward to $15-$25K when a copy does surface. This is still a great cover and a key bronze book to be sure, but hasn't been "Hot" for years. Do you guys agree that HOS 92 has officially handed the baton over to GL #76 for king of DC bronze books?

ComicConnect sold the single highest Green Lantern #76 in 9.6 for 30K+ recently, claiming the highest ever spent for a bronze book at auction. OSPG FINALLY has put GL #76 past HOS #92 in the 9.2 range, $1200 for GL and $1050 for HOS. The GL #76 has had huge jumps in the past two guides due to the large sums being realized at auction for 9.2+ copies. I didn't realize when I made my last post that there are zero HOS 9.8s yet slabbed. I'd have to revise my estimate upward to $15-$25K when a copy does surface. This is still a great cover and a key bronze book to be sure, but hasn't been "Hot" for years. Do you guys agree that HOS 92 has officially handed the baton over to GL #76 for king of DC bronze books?

We did a poll on this recently.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3252099&fpart=3

The results were 16 in favor of HOS 92, 11 in favor of GL 76. I don't think a HOS 92 CGC 9.6 has sold in a while, but it would be interesting to see results in the recent market.

Take my word for it. There are a few Bronze and Copper stashes "out there", that will be surprises.

There might even be a Silver Age surprise collection or two (but I am only guessing on that one cause I do not know that for sure). Like BangZoom surprised a few with Golden Age stuff.

You are right that only an idjut would bring them all out at once. The trickle method is the way to maximize value and profit.

Patience grasshopper. :)

Take my word for it. There are a few Bronze and Copper stashes "out there", that will be surprises.

There might even be a Silver Age surprise collection or two (but I am only guessing on that one cause I do not know that for sure). Like BangZoom surprised a few with Golden Age stuff.

You are right that only an idjut would bring them all out at once. The trickle method is the way to maximize value and profit.

Definitely. There was a thread in the Gold Comics section where Bob Beerbohm mentioned having details on a multiple 10,000s Golden Age bulk sale in the 1960s (or maybe late 50s) that are still floating out there. I wonder how that would impact some of the current census numbers? There are still great SA collections that have yet to surface, and talking to a couple of dealers at the SDCC makes me believe that many of them have cherry picked HG SA and BA keys sitting in their personal collections that would challenge for top census copies. I would also be that a lot of long running LCS owners have a lot of HG SA and BA books in storage that they do not know they have (I know of one locally in that position).

Definitely. There was a thread in the Gold Comics section where Bob Beerbohm mentioned having details on a multiple 10,000s Golden Age bulk sale in the 1960s (or maybe late 50s) that are still floating out there. I wonder how that would impact some of the current census numbers? There are still great SA collections that have yet to surface, and talking to a couple of dealers at the SDCC makes me believe that many of them have cherry picked HG SA and BA keys sitting in their personal collections that would challenge for top census copies. I would also be that a lot of long running LCS owners have a lot of HG SA and BA books in storage that they do not know they have (I know of one locally in that position).

Exactly, which is why I can't understand why BA and late SA HG prices are as high as they are. Maybe the demand for a few books like Hulk 181 and GSX 1 is almost infinite, so the price will stay high no matter how many 9.6s and 9.8s get pumped out, but for other books, particularly mid-run non-keys, I just can't believe that's the case.

Agreed. Paying huge prices for lesser keys and common books in 9.6 or 9.8 seems foolish to me as well. My personal collecting rule is to sell any 9.8 late SA/BA/CA books I get back from CGC. The money from those books can be better placed elswhere.

WRT Hulk #181 or GS X-Men #1, it depends on how many 9.8 or 9.9 copies of those two books are still out there. My guess is that the pool of buyers at that end of the spectrum is small and that if you had a dozen or so new copies come onto the market in a couple of months period the prices on those books would drop as well.

We are starting to see that with GL #76 in 9.4 right now. There have been copies in 3 or 4 recent auctions and prices are down from last year. One of them happened to be owned by a dealer board member who came across it in a box of books at home and decided to slab it.

So this is interesting. After all these years; now in the present the census population stands at only a mere 2 for HOS 92 CGC 9.8.

In 2014, there was an ebay sale for $3,600 for a 9.6 slab.

Contrast this to an old 9.8 auction I dug up on CC from what appears to be 2011 ?

I was surprised that it did not break $10K (sold for $7800) as I think at this point in time, it could have been the sole 9.8 in the census.

But given the huge uptick in price in 2014 (basically the 9.6 fetched nearly half of the 9.8 2011 sale) where do you think the 9.8 lands on price today?

And if anyone has other data on private side or other sites i.e. CL, etc. fill us in.

No idea. If you have one put it up for sale and see. :baiting:

I was in exile and banned from buying when the 9.8 was sold on Metro, otherwise I would've snapped it up no problem. I sold my 9.4 in the hopes of getting a 9.8. Maybe one day...

No idea. If you have one put it up for sale and see. :baiting:

I was in exile and banned from buying when the 9.8 was sold on Metro, otherwise I would've snapped it up no problem. I sold my 9.4 in the hopes of getting a 9.8. Maybe one day...

I have a raw one but its most likely gonna slab out @ 9.2 on a good day. I just have always been fascinated with this particular issue because unlike other keys that are now flooded with 9.8's this one dramatically held up now.

Too bad you missed out on that Metro listing. Do you by chance have a guess how long ago that was or what the end price was?

The ask was around $8k IIRC. Which is pretty much a fair price. If it's deflated a bit as compared to other keys it's because horror gets a bad rap among collectors. Horror mags are like war...people READ them, not necessarily collected.

You can go straight up and down on most horror titles and you still won't see tremendous upticks in submission counts as compared to superhero books, so it's not just this one issue.Even given scarcity, demand is being supplied.. I think sub $9k is a good price. I can get a good Gaines 9.8 precode horror key for that price....