• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do if you had the "Dentist" collection?

64 posts in this topic

I would rather have the Richard Evans collection.

:blush: That sounds nice.

But you could sell Dave's books, buy my books, and have enough left over to buy everybody else's books on the boards.

What does that matter? What's a collection without the sentimentality?

Encyclopedias, that's what it is.

Okay, but if you bought Richard's collection, what sentimental value would it hold for you?

Where in the OP did it mention purchase?

My point was I would rather have a collection from someone I know or knew as opposed to a random bunch of books from someone who means absolutely nothing to me.

I know Richard. I know his passion for collecting. I would be reminded of that every time I flipped through the books. A collection without meaning is nothing but a commodity. Perhaps that is how people become sick of the hobby?

But you could sell Dave's books, buy my books, and have enough left over to buy everybody else's books on the boards.

Okay, but if you bought Richard's collection, what sentimental value would it hold for you?

My point was I would rather have a collection from someone I know or knew as opposed to a random bunch of books from someone who means absolutely nothing to me.

I know Richard. I know his passion for collecting. I would be reminded of that every time I flipped through the books. A collection without meaning is nothing but a commodity. Perhaps that is how people become sick of the hobby?

That is an extremely noble point of view. But it's also a view in the extreme minority.

The Allentown TEC 27 :cloud9: isn't this one of if not the best one?

it's the best. in fact dave passed on the mile high 27 to acquire the allentown.

I wouldn't say "pass" (I believe he did own it early on)...but the MH copy is not super duper high grade (as in likely in the 8.0 range)...the allentown is clearly the best circulating copy, so I would say his "upgrade" was a wise choice (thumbs u

The Allentown TEC 27 :cloud9: isn't this one of if not the best one?

it's the best. in fact dave passed on the mile high 27 to acquire the allentown.

From what I've heard said, it's a 9.6

Jim Payette originally graded it a vf/nm....so, that is likely a 9.2 to 9.4 cgc grade (based on other submissions Jim graded vf/nm)... though, I guess with a little massaging (the tec 38 was originally graded VF raw, but was able to be pressed-so I am told- to a 9.4)....

That is an extremely noble point of view. But it's also a view in the extreme minority.

Then that's a shame.

Then that's a shame.

Along those same lines imagine what Niks books would sell for.No slight to Richard of course.