• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Whats everyones choice of drink?

161 posts in this topic

What kind of Absinthe do you drink? I usually order whatever brand I can find online. Sometimes it's good sometimes it's not. One time I ordered a bottle and it turned out the Thujol content was between 1-2 percent. I was pretty pissed. tongue.gif

Do you have a recommendation?

Where can you order this stuff online? I have a friend who always bugs me to bring him back a bottle when I go to places where the stuff is legal (e.g., Spain, Portugal, Sweden), so I would rather just refer him to a website than bring this across the border.

I hear that diluted versions are widely sold in Canada? confused-smiley-013.gif

Gene

It's not a big deal bringing it over from overseas. I brought back a couple bottles when I was leaving from Netherlands. I have a friend who was in Italy and got caught with them, they just confiscate it and let you go on your way.

I don't have a regular website I order from, I keep switching around. I've ordered from this site multiple times. That's about as strong as I've been able to find without having to go overseas to buy it.

Brian

Absinthe, as you may know used to be lethal, especially to late 19th century artists and writers residing in Paris.

It only recently made a comeback in Britain and all I can remember is that there are only one or two brands available - one of them I recall is made by Pernod (I think). Absinthe is a syrupy, aniseed flavor drink which is very strong (about 50% alcohol - stronger than Whisky) and is definitely an acquired taste. I'd go with the Pernod version, but there may be other brands from France I'm not aware of, and may be stronger. I'm no expert, I admit.

Aguardiente, meanwhile is Latin Moonshine which can be 75% alcohol. Difficult to imbibe, that stuff.

It tastes like really really bad/bitter licorice. If you have a strong gag reflex, it'd be hard to get it down. I don't buy it for it's taste. tongue.gif

It's just a fun recreational drink. That you do have to be careful with.

Brian

Another teetotaler here. smile.gif I don't think it's wrong to drink, I was just never interested, so I never started (same with coffee - just never started). I've never seen anything that made me want to start, but I've seen a LOT of things that make me glad I never did. Turns out that my father had a problem with alcohol (just like his father), so it's probably for the best that I never touched it.

I LOVE soft drinks and juices, but I'm TRYING to drink a lot of water and stick to diet sodas. Thank heaven for Diet Cherry & Diet Vanilla Coke! smile.gif Funny, growing up, I said I'd never drink a diet drink. Then I turned 30 and my metabolism went on vacation. So I diet-drinking I have gone. smile.gif

It tastes like really really bad/bitter licorice. If you have a strong gag reflex, it'd be hard to get it down. I don't buy it for it's taste. tongue.gif

It's just a fun recreational drink. That you do have to be careful with.

Brian

Yep, as I said, aniseed (which is the same as licorice). And yes, it may not be lethal but if you're gonna drink it I suggest a babysitter (sober person to watch over you). Most drinks which contain over 50% alky are hard to get down unless you're a seasoned souse.

Another fun, recreational drink that's very popular with the Kidz in London Town (and elsewhere in GB) is Red Bull. It contains the active ingredient Taurine (hence its' name) which effectively speeds up the heart rate enormously whilst thinning the blood. The kids like it because it allows them to drink more alcohol than usual, prevents headaches/hangovers and acts like amyl nitrate. Six cans of this in a couple of hours, and you're in trouble.

Surprisingly there's virtually no bad press re this drink as you might expect. I've never touched the stuff, though, as it sounds 'orrible.

I am partial to any of the generic drinks your local grocery establishment has. You know the kind: 5 twelve packs for 10 bucks. The names they use are hilarious. Dr. Bob, Thunder Mist, Mountain Lighting, Lemon Twist, Sam's Choice Cola, Dr, Thunder, Cherry Picker, and on and on.

It saves me money for comics. smile.gif

One final thing regarding soft drinks. I had a serious, very long term addiction to Coke (the drink, not the marching powder) - about 4-5 cans a day. It just made me thirstier, fatter and irritable.

Yes, it can be nice (I always preferred the Coca-Cola we get in the U.K. to the U.S. one - you get Classic, we get the new version which is less sweet and has a subtler flavour) but the best thing I did last year was to quit drinking that insidious stuff. These days it's mineral water (sparkling) with juice. Much healthier, and I've lost weight.

It's all poison as far as I'm concerned.

I have a friend in California who's an athlete, and he uses Red Bull for energy to fuel his workouts. He's slowly upping the amount he uses, and I'm anticipating the day when he ends up in the hospital for it. From what I know about it, it's a disgusting drink.

As far as I know, it's not sold here in Canada? Anyone here know for sure?

One final thing regarding soft drinks. I had a serious, very long term addiction to Coke (the drink, not the marching powder) - about 4-5 cans a day. It just made me thirstier, fatter and irritable.

When I was in my late teens, I drank way too much coke as well. At school I would have a 600ml bottle for lunch, a Litre after school on my way to my night job, and another litre during work. I would get home at 2 in the morning, sleep 4-5 hours, then do the whole thing over again. It was horrible. I didn't gain weight because my metabolism was fast and I was always moving, but I was very irritable and my temper was out of control.

We're talking 140 calories per 330 ml can (11.5 fl oz.) That's as many as a Mars Bar. When I visited SD last year, I was buying those 20 oz. bottles and getting thru them stupidly fast. Mountain Dew (especially Cherry flavor) - ghastly. Nice tasting, but you pile it on with that stuff.