• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HULK #181 sells for $18k

81 posts in this topic

The latest Hulk #181 in CGC 9.8 has sold on ebay for $18,100

I recall someone around here stating this book had peaked because sales were not hitting the $25k level anymore.

However ............. this latest sale was for a OW-W copy ........ not a white copy.

It also has a slight mis-wrap.

I think if a perfectly wrapped white page copy was put up for sale we could easily see it sell for $25k again 2c

But these $25K copies were also NOT perfectly centered, and as many on here have stated, few buyers even care about anything other than the CGC label.

I think more and more buyers are starting to look at page quality on their purchases.

White page books consistently sell for higher prices across the board it seems to me, regardless of the era.

I have offered bronze books to other board members that were OW-W and was told they would have bought them but they only buy white page books. This was for bronze books mind you, not moderns.

And C-OW is turning into a pariah it seems, especially for bronze books.

Still waiting for the day when Wolverines "official 1st app." becomes iss. 180! :grin:

I don't understand the obsession with 9.8s. But to each their own. Seems like a lot of dough to me... what do 9.6s go for?

I would say based on recent sales avg $5300. I know of a 9.6 White sold for 6k on Pedigree not to long ago. My opinion is these books will come down. Last year there was 12 graded on the registry. I think there is over 20 now. I expect more 9.4 and 9.6 copies to be resubmitted in hopes of a 9.8 whether that means the books are pressable or undergraded. i'm glad I sold my 9.8 last year and picked up key SA grails. My 2c

Still waiting for the day when Wolverines "official 1st app." becomes iss. 180! :grin:

didn't this happen with sgt. rock?

I think Overstreet kept changing what was considered to be the first official sgt. rock appearance

I think Overstreet kept changing what was considered to be the first official sgt. rock appearance

That one I didnt hear about

That one I didnt hear about

Rock's history is complicated:

http://sacomics.blogspot.com/2009/04/fifty-years-ago-today-gibraltar-man.html

Excerpt:

Unlike most DC characters of the Silver Age, Sgt. Rock did not spring to life full-blown and ready for an action figure set. For most of the 1950s, DC's war mags had bucked the trend towards continuing series in favor of one-shot stories. But things were changing; DC had placed a tiny squadron known as Gunner and Sarge as a regular feature in Our Fighting Forces in May 1959 (the squadron did expand a few years later with the addition of "Pooch", a German shepherd).

Wikipedia notes the existence of a Sgt. Rock prototype in GI Combat #68 (January 1959). Our Army At War #81 and #82 both had characters that would clearly become Sgt. Rock; in the former he was referred to as Sgt. Rocky, and although they got his name right in the latter tale he was a subsidiary character to Walker (BAR) and Dugan (bazooka), who were the real stars of the story.

But with Our Army At War #83, the series was ready to kick into gear. Overstreet calls it the "first real Sgt. Rock". In The Rock and the Wall, we learn that the legend of Sgt. Rock and Easy Company is spreading throughout the armed forces:

I can see the reason for obsession. It is just a dangerous game to play if you are betting big bucks. You can look at books like hulk 181 and X-Men 114 and see how the dollars have pulled more 9.8s out of the woodworks every year. Then a book like X-Men 94 is still sitting out there pretty lonely at 9.8.

I know if I spent 18K on a bronze age book it would be perfectly aligned, no white stripe, and white pages. But that is just me. I would rather buy that Batman 6.0 ep on the boards and be guranteed I had a rare book.

But these $25K copies were also NOT perfectly centered, and as many on here have stated, few buyers even care about anything other than the CGC label.

btw... that was kinda' the point I was making on the CM 26 a couple days back... which really wasn't that bad a miswrap to some of us that do "buy the book along with the label" but don't share the same level of distaste for straight, less than 1/8" miswraps as some.

I think 9.8 181's have peaked and settled too. I expect the book will drop further (not maintain) by the time 10 more 9.8's arrive. I also expect that there will be even wider gaps in the sales prices depending on the quality of the copy. There are many more to choose from now and its serious money.

I think 9.8 181's have peaked and settled too.

So why are there so many more Hulk 181's in 9.8 than X-men 94's in 9.8?

Is X-94 a tougher book because of darker colors in the cover? Or production errors?

I think more and more buyers are starting to look at page quality on their purchases.

White page books consistently sell for higher prices across the board it seems to me, regardless of the era.

I have offered bronze books to other board members that were OW-W and was told they would have bought them but they only buy white page books. This was for bronze books mind you, not moderns.

And C-OW is turning into a pariah it seems, especially for bronze books.

True enough, which is why I hope my 9.8 DD #131 and #168 do well on Clink (both with White pages).

I have noticed that C-OW tends to be the average page color for late 50s through 1962 DCs, though.

Is X-94 a tougher book because of darker colors in the cover? Or production errors?

Not sure what you mean Dek???... what does one have to do with the other in regards to my opinion about it's market status? 9.8 181 supply has exploded over the past 3 years. When I sold my 2nd copy around 3 years ago, I think there was only 4 or 5 tops in the census... now its 30ish.

That aside... yes, I think XM 94 is tougher in part because of the darker cover.

Not sure what you mean Dek???... what does one have to do with the other in regards to my opinion about it's market status? 9.8 181 supply has exploded over the past 3 years. When I sold my 2nd copy around 3 years ago, I think there was only 4 or 5 tops in the census... now its 30ish.

That aside... yes, I think XM 94 is tougher in part because of the darker cover.

I mean that ok, maybe Hulk 181 has peaked due to increasing supply, but why is the supply of X-94 not increasing at the same rate. I just found it odd, because both issues have been hoarded and protected for a long time