• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Beat Up Tatty Detective 27

114 posts in this topic

I need everyone's combined expertise here.

While I hate bringing it to everyone's attention at the risk of being intentionally outbid, particularly because I'm still reeling from someone trying to stop me winning the Superman And The Great Cleveland Fire giveaway, which went for the most OBSCENE amount for a brittle tatty four page, one sheet, foldover, I HAVE to know if this Detective 27 is another scam. We've all seen plenty of those lately.

SOMEONE on here must know.

It looks genuine, but then again, it could easily be a scam.

Guys, PLEASE find out, but if it's real, PLEASE let me get it, as it's really low grade, and is the only type of copy I'll ever be able to buy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2217333436&category=35751

222 positives. 191 are from unique users.

3 neutrals.

9 negatives. 6 are from unique users.

=====================================

Sells a lot of private auctions (or adult material). confused.gif

Auction is private, expect to be shilled. mad.gif

Only ships to the US. frown.gif

Only takes money orders/checks.

No credit cards/paypal. 893frustrated.gif

I'd be very careful.

Have someone you can trust look at the comic in person in/near WISCONSIN RAPIDS Milwaukee.

Have them pick it up for you too and mail it FedEx International.

Good Luck! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Also the edges of the scans are cropped, so expect the book to look worse and don't be surprised if there are restro/trim/married cover-insides issues.

Man I'd be scared to death buying this off eBay raw. 893whatthe.gif

None of his viewable past auctions were for comics (that I can find). He has a few others up for auction now but nothing before 1969.

He seems to specialize in sports cards and sports collectibles. He might have received a small collection in trade for something. I would request an uncropped pic. He didn’t crop the photos on his other books like he did this one. Makes me wonder what is up with that.

Edit

You may want to hit up the Sports Card forum to see if any of them know the guy.

Have someone you can trust look at the comic in person in/near WISCONSIN RAPIDS Milwaukee. Have them pick it up for you too and mail it FedEx International.

Please can anyone tell me if there's anyone at all on these boards from Milwaukee ???

Or anyone willing to take the money, go in person to collect the comic, and verify it's real before handing the cash over ???

If it is real, they'd be performing the greatest help EVER as far as finishing my DC collection (next to Metarog of course).

If it's real, and it certainly looks tatty, then I can't imagine anyone paying more than I would, not for SUCH a low grade. But I don't trust it. So PLEASE is there anyone willing to volunteer ???

What are unique users ???

Different people.

I put a small watch bid on it.

Boy!

I bid on a Detective 27 and a Marvel 1 within a month! 893whatthe.gif

Action 1 is next! grin.gif

Book looks to good to be true....seller is describing the book as FAIR, colours are way to bright/fresh for a 65-year old book in FAIR grade.

c9_3.JPG

Anyone on the level selling this holy grail of holy grails will have this book slabbed or show a whole bunch of scans, not some cropped tiny little thing that could have been lifted from anywhere...

don't walk away from this, RUN away.... sign-rantpost.gif

Also the edges of the scans are cropped, so expect the book to look worse and don't be surprised if there are restro/trim/married cover-insides issues.

Man I'd be scared to death buying this off eBay raw.

I just sent him a message as follows...

"Hello.

I've been really looking for a beat up affordable Detective 27. I collect DCs and I only need forty four to complete. I know where there are lots of copies of this book but they're all more expensive than I'd pay. This copy looks like the right one for me. The Overstreet Comic Price Guide lists the "fair "price at $16,000, which is half of the "good" price, which is $31000.

I'm willing to apy the sixteen thousand, maybe slightly more. If I win it at the genuine market price (and I'm very serious about doing so unless someone wants to pay silly money) then I'd like to send someone in person to collect it and pay you the money in cash.

May I please see a full scan of it, showing all the edges.

Thankyou.

Ian Levine"

As long as someone off these boards is willing to help me, it might work out. I don't see how anyone could pull a scam if someone actually goes round to see the comic and pays in cash. The problem is that it would have to be someone off these boards, so they could check it's not some forgery, or coverless with a xerox cover, or one of the thousand other possible problems that could arise.

But low grade I welcome - this does sound like the copy for me - IF it's on the level.

Book looks to good to be true....seller is describing the book as FAIR, colours are way to bright/fresh for a 65-year old book in FAIR grade.

It could, of course, be a Treasury Limited Edition reprint with the outer cover removed. It would then look like this.

What are unique users ???

Individual separate users. Your FB tally only increases by one no matter how many feedbacks a single user leaves you (for multiple or separate transactions). Otherwise there'd be shill feedbacks galore.

don't walk away from this, RUN away.... sign-rantpost.gif

With 6 negs out of 200 feeds he might have decided to close the account and go out with a bang.

I wouldn't touch it unless someone in-the-know inspected it in person like I said.

Did they make a collector’s edition of Detective 27 like they did Superman #1?

Just a thought. My collectors edition of Superman looks exactly like the original when you take off the first cover. If they made one, it may explain why the book is cropped like it is (too big for scanner). They were also made in the 70s which would match the other comics he has for sale.

It could, of course, be a Treasury Limited Edition reprint with the outer cover removed. It would then look like this.

The more I study it, the more I think it IS the Treasury Edition with the outer cover removed.

I just sent him this.....

"Hi again. There was a reprint of this comic in the 1970s, which lookes EXACTLY the same but was a bigger size. It's not even worth ten bucks. Just to be on the safe side, could you please measure your comic for me in inches, so I know it's not the worthless reprint. Hope you don't mind me asking, but if this is on the level, and it IS a genuine original, then I'm sure you won't mind answering."

Fraid so. Best to ask for an uncropped scan of both the front and back covers. If the seller refuses, leave it. That scan was severely cropped, and his description made no mention as to whether the covers were attached to the interior (or each other).

This auction has all the classic signs of a scam.

I also just noticed this isn't a featured auction.

Now what insufficiently_thoughtful_person would put up a Detective 27 and not feature it!?

Oh I'm so glad my $75.00 watch bid didn't trip the reserve! angel.gif

Somewhere on this board, someone mentions the difference between the real Detective 27 and the reprint as far as the cover image goes. All I remember is that one has two smokestacks in the lower corner and the other has one. I recommend checking through old threads or looking on-line for information about the subtle differences between the two.

Ian, as far as people on this board outbidding you, I don't know if that's a worry. I think everyone here is rooting for you to complete your collection. I know I'm certainly looking forward to the day when you post, "I did it!" I'm also looking forward to the day when I'm in England and I get to visit you and ogle all your books...

Ian, as far as people on this board outbidding you, I don't know if that's a worry. I think everyone here is rooting for you to complete your collection. I know I'm certainly looking forward to the day when you post, "I did it!" I'm also looking forward to the day when I'm in England and I get to visit you and ogle all your books...

You are more than welcome to see them