• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Beat Up Tatty Detective 27

114 posts in this topic

I would like to see your new wantlist also when you decide to post it. I copy it and take it with me to local shows and shops. Yesterday at a Toy Show (of all places) I found someone missing only 3 issues of Sugar & Spike but they HAD #2 for example.

Yesterday at a Toy Show (of all places) I found someone missing only 3 issues of Sugar & Spike but they HAD #2 for example.

I'm curious which three they were missing. I absolutely adore Sugar And Spike. Scribbly too. Both Sheldon Mayer.

They were missing #1 as they mentioned to a dealer as I was standing there and a couple issues in the "teens" (#15, 17?). The dealer then talked about how he has a photo of himself holding 2 copies of #1 that he purchased from a collector here in town. You just never know where these obscure comics will show up.

They were missing #1 as they mentioned to a dealer as I was standing there and a couple issues in the "teens" (#15, 17?). The dealer then talked about how he has a photo of himself holding 2 copies of #1 that he purchased from a collector here in town. You just never know where these obscure comics will show up.

Sugar And Spike 1 is genuinely scarce.

i couldn't stand it any more so i sent him a blasting e-mail. if he can correctly show the entire interior pages (3 shots) there's no reason on earth that he had to crop the cover other than to disguise it and screw somebody. and the fact that he's now telling you to buy at your own risk (buried in the large paragraph) is little consolation knowing that he knows it's really a fraudulant auction, now..... 893naughty-thumb.gif

When this relisted auction ends, Ian should send eBay the correspondence from the guy indicating that he was aware of the fact that it's a reprint before he relisted it. This is as fraudulent as it gets. I just sent the seller an email too - hopefully he won't feel the need to tote his ammo out here to California...

When this relisted auction ends, Ian should send eBay the correspondence from the guy indicating that he was aware of the fact that it's a reprint before he relisted it. This is as fraudulent as it gets. I just sent the seller an email too - hopefully he won't feel the need to tote his ammo out here to California...

He tried to convince me he was the wounded party at first.

Which entirely went out of the window when he relisted it trying to cover up the fact that he KNEW it was the reprint. And leaving out the measurements after he'd already been forced into previously listing them.

Imagine some poor sod who bought it and then found out he'd been done.

Yeah, the guy's a piece of work... here are two emails I've received from him, after letting him know that people are watching this auction:

READ MY DESCRIPTION!!!!!!!!! I MAKE NO CLAIMS THAT THIS IS AN ORIGINAL!!!!!!! I AM NOT SCAMMING ANYONE!!!!!

followed by

I AM NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG-SO GO STICK YOUR NOSE SOMEWHERE ELSE.

If this guy's practices have not already been brought to the attention of the sports-card board denizens, they should be...

The fact that the guy KNOWS he's got a repro on his hands, and then deliberately sets out to sell it without disclosing the info necessary for prospective buyers to determine it's a repro, is downright criminal. this HAS to be something eBay will actually act on, right? I mean, if they got Ian's emails to/from this seller prior to the relisting, it would be obvious the guy knows he's misrepresenting the item, right?

Garth ; i got virtually the same message back as your first response. i pretty much accused him of being deceptive and said if he could properly show 3 shots of the interior pages he should be able to do so for the full cover.

i also told him we were watching........

the kick is he told me to butt out but sent the most beautifully backgrouded color response with fishing boats and sunset - very nice, actually. but he's got like 500+ responses and a decent rating - may faith in e-bay sellers is slowly going down the tube....... 893frustrated.gif

the kick is he told me to butt out but sent the most beautifully backgrouded color response with fishing boats and sunset - very nice, actually.

All his e-mails to me, including his original lie when he told me the comic measured seven by ten, were on the same pretty picture.

Here's proof.......

on 11/1/04 6:24 pm, patrick roberts at dabears@wctc.net wrote:

10 IN LONG BY 7 WIDE Thank you!!

-------Original Message-------

Date: Sunday, January 11, 2004 6:26:15 AM

To: dabears@wctc.net

Subject: Question for seller -- Item #2217333436

Hi again. There was a reprint of this comic in the 1970s, which lookes EXACTLY the same but was a bigger size. It's not even worth ten bucks. Just to be on the safe side, could you please measure your comic for me in inches, so I know it's not the worthless reprint. Hope you don't mind me asking, but if this is on the level, and it IS a genuine original, then I'm sure you won't mind answering.

--------------------

Question from: dccomicscollector

Title of item: STARTING THIS ISSUE: THE AMAZING AND UNIQUE

Seller: bear--man

Starts: Jan-10-04 23:10:00 PST

Ends: Jan-17-04 23:10:00 PST

Price: Currently $15.65

To view the item, go to: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2217333436

Visit eBay, The World's Online Marketplace TM at http://www.ebay.com

IncrediMail - Email has finally evolved - Click Here

Late as usual to a thread, but sorry if I confused anyone with my two smokestacks comment. It's been awhile since I've had a 'Tec #27 and I

was just going by memory on it. confused-smiley-013.gif

So yes it was a building next to the smokestack, but at least you guys

knew what/where to look and can spot the scammers now.

Plus everyone still owes me for wonderbread. smile.gif

My favorite quote from the current listing is:

" THE REST OF THE BOOK THE PAGES ARE FINE. PLEASE DO NOT E-MAIL ME TO ASK IF I WILL END THIS AUCTION EARLY!!! THIS WILL RUN THE FULL 7 DAYS.".

So this is what?...the 3rd time he's listed this book in about two days after canceling the first two auctions early?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35751&item=2217468219

No it's the first relist since he pulled the first one down:

893frustrated.gif

He took it down and put it up again!

Scam!

MAKE NO CLAIMS THAT THIS IS THE ORIGINAL. I BOUGHT THIS COMIC WITH ALOT OF OTHERS AT AN ESTATE SALE. I AM NOT A COMIC EXPERT SO YOU WILL HAVE TO BID AT YOUR OWN RISK!! THANK YOU AND GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!

boo.gif

Yeah, you'll need lots of luck dealing with people like this. flamed.gif

That was a post of mine earlier in the thread, and you can see it's the same auction.

Plus everyone still owes me for wonderbread. smile.gif

We'll all be sure to send you half the profits from our first five wonderbread-ed resubmissions which receive a higher grade--will that put us even? shocked.gifthumbsup2.gif