• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Beat Up Tatty Detective 27

114 posts in this topic

Check it out...the seller of that 'Tec 27 has seen the light... he pulled the auction, and after a couple of brief missives to the tune of "are you happy now?" he ultimately sent me this:

i really thank you for your input, i was just really mad on how much money i lost on this deal. oh well!! thank you i feel better now and if i do relist it later i will start off with " this is a reprint not the original"

I invited him to visit the boards and out the original seller who duped him... dunno if he'll do that, but at least this story has a semi-happy ending...

Check it out...the seller of that 'Tec 27 has seen the light... he pulled the auction, and after a couple of brief missives to the tune of "are you happy now?" he ultimately sent me this:

i really thank you for your input, i was just really mad on how much money i lost on this deal. oh well!! thank you i feel better now and if i do relist it later i will start off with " this is a reprint not the original"

I invited him to visit the boards and out the original seller who duped him... dunno if he'll do that, but at least this story has a semi-happy ending...

Maybe it took awhile for it to set in that he got screwed.

Isn't the first reaction in any crisis denial?

"This couldn't have happened to me!" 893frustrated.gif

So will freiherr now correct his warning post in the cards section?

I think that would be a good idea.. the guy seemed genuinely remorseful in his emails...I don't think he makes a practice of duping people, he was just in denial on this one...

So will freiherr now correct his warning post in the cards section?

I think that would be a good idea.. the guy seemed genuinely remorseful in his emails...I don't think he makes a practice of duping people, he was just in denial on this one...

Go back to page 1 and read ALL the thread again. Now tell me the guy is an A1, nice-guy-to-be-recommended-to-our-card-buddies seller

Point taken, GP... but at least this guy appears to have 'seen the light' of his own accord (albeit with some nudging by forum members), rather than just having the auction pulled by eBay. So he didn't actually defraud anyone with this Tec 27 reprint, and he was appreciative of the 'guidance,' ultimately. I don't see the need to unduly condemn the guy.

If one of his card auctions is deemed to be iffy in some way, that would be different. But under the circs, I say let bygones be bygones...

This might be a little off topic but what I was wondering about is why you would offer the $16,000 up front even if it really WAS an original copy. I believe that telling the seller this may lead him to use a different account to bid up the book (is that what a shill bid is?), assuming that the high bid may be well under that amount. If you say you would pay $16,000 but with the end of the listing coming up and the book is at $8,000... wouldn't that be a little tempting for some dealers? You never really know how honest people are these days. I notice that alot of key books sell well under guide. I imagine that is because many experienced buyers are skeptical about the sellers honesty or grading abilities. Also, I do not believe you are doing anything wrong by offering much less for a book that what the "guide" says. Unless you have money to burn I believe trying to get the best deal you can is a good thing to do. Just my opinion. -----Sid

This might be a little off topic but what I was wondering about is why you would offer the $16,000 up front even if it really WAS an original copy. I believe that telling the seller this may lead him to use a different account to bid up the book (is that what a shill bid is?), assuming that the high bid may be well under that amount. If you say you would pay $16,000 but with the end of the listing coming up and the book is at $8,000... wouldn't that be a little tempting for some dealers? You never really know how honest people are these days. I notice that alot of key books sell well under guide. I imagine that is because many experienced buyers are skeptical about the sellers honesty or grading abilities. Also, I do not believe you are doing anything wrong by offering much less for a book that what the "guide" says. Unless you have money to burn I believe trying to get the best deal you can is a good thing to do. Just my opinion. -----Sid

Hi Sid

If it was on the level and was a genuine tatty copy of Detective 27 in no better than fair, I don't believe anybody would accept less that that amount for it. I was just trying to offer the fair market value for a really low grade, and fill the most important gap in my entire collection.

But as it was a fake, it's all immaterial anyway

Hi Sid

If it was on the level and was a genuine tatty copy of Detective 27 in no better than fair, I don't believe anybody would accept less that that amount for it. I was just trying to offer the fair market value for a really low grade, and fill the most important gap in my entire collection.

But as it was a fake, it's all immaterial anyway

Hi, I know this is irrevelant as it was a fake, but if it was genuine, unless the guy had a reserve on it for $16,000 then assuming it was a legit dealer he would have had to take the high bid over whatever his reserve or minimum bid was set at. If it was a real deal I imagine a reserve may be set at 10 grand or so. most dealers start their bidding or reserve well under guide. I know, all irrelevant on the D 27, but for future investments on other high end books i believe it is best to keep your high bid to yourself. Good luck. ------Sid

Did he tell you how much he paid? If not, I would have been too curious not to ask...

I thought about asking, but by the time we were on 'speaking terms' I kinda felt sorry for the guy and didn't wanna rub his nose in his mistake. I'm guessing he paid a few hundred for it, tops.

Honesty At Last

The seller has relisted the item, and does in fact very clearly note that it is the reprint. Unfortunately, the seller has also chosen to list this reprint at the low low price of $174.99. blush.gif At this point, I'm pretty sure that the poor guy really did spend a few hundred bucks on it. Tragicomedy.