• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Beat Up Tatty Detective 27

114 posts in this topic

Someone mentions the difference between the real Detective 27 and the reprint as far as the cover image goes. All I remember is that one has two smokestacks in the lower corner and the other has one.

Can we clarify this right away, please everybody.

Somewhere on this board, someone mentions the difference between the real Detective 27 and the reprint as far as the cover image goes. All I remember is that one has two smokestacks in the lower corner and the other has one. I recommend checking through old threads or looking on-line for information about the subtle differences between the two.

Here is the post by zillatoy identifying the treasury edition as having only one smokestack on the right....

I am waiting to see if he replies to the emails.

He might just be ignorant, but I doubt it. Being a dealer of collectibles and the way he is advertising the book lends to a crook.

If so, the SGC folks might want to know about him as well (since he sells so many cards).

He might just be ignorant, but I doubt it. Being a dealer of collectibles and the way he is advertising the book lends to a crook.

This is a silly and naive question, but is there the REMOTEST chance that it's on the level ???

The problem is that I went and looked at the Treasury Edition, and the colours do look more like that than the original scan that just got posted up on here.

Here is the post by zillatoy identifying the treasury edition as having only one smokestack on the right....

If you study the scan of the real Detective 27 that someone just put up, you'll see that there's only one smokestack but then there's an upper story of the building right next to it.

I just went and looked at my Treasury Edition, and yes indeed, the whole edge of the upper story, next to the smokestack, is completely deleted.

So this is an easy way to tell the difference, and therefore makes this copy on e-bay seem fraudulent because they've cropped this off in the scan.

Here is what I am going by.

1. He may not be exclusively in comics, but he does deal in other collectibles (namely sports cards). It would not take much to question rather or not if it was the real thing.

2. He took scans of the interior. Why not scan the publication date?

3. He did not crop his other comics that are up for bid.

4. This book has all tale-tale signs cropped out.

5. All his other books are from the early 70s.

Stuff mentioned by others

1. The book seems very bright and I can’t say why I feel this way, but it seems to be on the card-type paper (whatever it is called).

2. He is selling an Overstreet guide so he knows the value. Wouldn’t you feature it?

$75 and still no reserve met? 893whatthe.gif

If it is a Treasury (and probably is) this guy will go on my Rip-Off list.

Someone out bid me! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Here is the real deal ...ask the seller for a full scan and then compare the two...

I compared the two pics side-by-side on my desktop and my God almost 20% of the bottom is cropped off and 10% on each side.

That can't be by accident! mad.gif

Scam!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to see if Ian gets a reply to his e-mail questions. I give it an 80% chance he gets no reply, but I'm hoping the seller tries to give some intentionally vague or explicitly deception-ridden response! 893crossfingers-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

i'm almost more confused than when this thread started. the whole 2 smoke stack theory has got me baffled. it's almost as if that original poster who proposed that theory was looking at the gerber picture (which also crops the upper portion of the building so that it kinda looks like another skinny smoke stack). in reality, there is only one as the post of the real detective 27 points out quite clearly.

i don't have the treasury edition but would be very curious if anyone could try to scan their copy onto the software used and see how the larger image would crop. it looks like you're missing about a half inch of the left edge, a half inch of the right edge and about an inch and a half of the lower edge.

question; if this wasn't legit how does the seller ever pull this off?? where do you hide?? this isn't a question of missing the grade by 2 points or even restoration - this is the worst kind of fakery........ 893naughty-thumb.gif

Scam!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to see if Ian gets a reply to his e-mail questions. I give it an 80% chance he gets no reply, but I'm hoping the seller tries to give some intentionally vague or explicitly deception-ridden response!

I re-read his description very very carefully, assuming it's the Treasury edition, and he never says it isn't. He could sell if for fifteen grand and then turn round and claim he never misled anyone.

It's what's known as a lie of omission.

IF it's a scam, and I stress IF, then people capable of pulling scams like this should REALLY be stopped from duping people.

E-Bay make BILLIONS off people like us.

It's time they offered an inbuilt protection against fraud for customers who buy off them.

I'm 99.9999999% convinced it's the Treasury Edition minus the wraparound cover, and I think it's a DISGRACE.

Can't we all do something about stuff like this ?????

Scam!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to see if Ian gets a reply to his e-mail questions. I give it an 80% chance he gets no reply, but I'm hoping the seller tries to give some intentionally vague or explicitly deception-ridden response!

I re-read his description very very carefully, assuming it's the Treasury edition, and he never says it isn't. He could sell if for fifteen grand and then turn round and claim he never misled anyone.

It's what's known as a lie of omission.

Scum and cockroaches like this should REALLY be stopped from duping people.

E-Bay make BILLIONS off people like us.

It's time they offered an inbuilt protection against fraud for customers who buy off them.

I'm 99.9999999% convinced it's the Treasury Edition minus the wraparound cover, and I think it's a DISGRACE.

Can't we all do something about stuff like this ?????

I agree, Ian.

I would completely back away from this.

I'd hate to see you lose ANY money, much less a LOT of money.

You'll get a copy someday. Better safe than sorry.