• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Beat Up Tatty Detective 27

114 posts in this topic

I will PM you my address; send them to me and I will host.

It's now become irrelevant.

Here's the latest.....

on 11/1/04 7:58 pm, patrick roberts at dabears@wctc.net wrote:

I JUST HAD MY HUSBAND MEASURE THE BOOK-IT IS 10X14.

To which I replied.......

"Yes, I'm afraid that's the cheap worthless reprint. You won't even get ten bucks for it."

NOW WHY OH WHY OH WHY OH WHY DO YOU SUPPOSE HE REPLIED EARLIER AND SAID IT WAS SEVEN BY TEN, NOT TEN BY FOURTEEN ????????????????????

I noticed this is up on the auction now:

"I HAVE BEEN EMAILED BY ONE PERSON TELLING ME THAT THIS COMIC IS A REPRINT. SO JUST TO BE FAIR WITH EVERYONE, I AM NOT CLAIMING THIS TO BE AN ORIGINAL. THIS COMIC IS DATED 1939, WITH NO OTHER DATES IN IT. THE CONDITION OF THIS COMIC IS IN THE CONDITION I WOULD EXPECT IT TO BE FOR 1939. THE SIZE OF IT IS 10X14. ALL PAGES ARE THERE. I AM NOT A COMIC EXPERT. THIS COMIC AND ALL THE OTHER COMICS I HAVE FOR SALE ON EBAY RIGHT NOW, I BOUGHT IN AN ESTATE SALE. SO IN CONCLUSION,YOU MUST BID AT YOUR OWN RISK. "

I noticed this is up on the auction now:

"I HAVE BEEN EMAILED BY ONE PERSON TELLING ME THAT THIS COMIC IS A REPRINT. SO JUST TO BE FAIR WITH EVERYONE, I AM NOT CLAIMING THIS TO BE AN ORIGINAL. THIS COMIC IS DATED 1939, WITH NO OTHER DATES IN IT. THE CONDITION OF THIS COMIC IS IN THE CONDITION I WOULD EXPECT IT TO BE FOR 1939. THE SIZE OF IT IS 10X14. ALL PAGES ARE THERE. I AM NOT A COMIC EXPERT. THIS COMIC AND ALL THE OTHER COMICS I HAVE FOR SALE ON EBAY RIGHT NOW, I BOUGHT IN AN ESTATE SALE. SO IN CONCLUSION,YOU MUST BID AT YOUR OWN RISK. "

So did I do a good deed today ??????????

I’m sorry, but I do not understand how anyone could look at the oversized comic and think it was an original.

I got that Superman when I was 14. I would not start collecting comics for another 4 years and knew nothing. However, I knew damn well it was not the real thing (though I didn’t know it was worthless).

Again…I was FOURTEEN and knew better and I sure as heck wasn’t a genus child.

Yep, but I think you helped some lazy bidders who should have done this to start with. Nice sleuthing.

Yes but sadly and most unfortunately it doesn't get me my beat up really low grade copy of Detective 27 at a price I can actually afford.

frown.gif

They might well have one, but this is hardly a book that lots of people want to sell. If I was lucky enough to own one, it would take a lot to prise it away.

I’m sorry, but I do not understand how anyone could look at the oversized comic and think it was an original.

Can you BELIEVE that he's cancelled the listing and now relisted it OMITTING the 14 by 10 measurements that he added before when I caught him out with the scan.

CAN YOU BELIEVE ?????????????????

I just love this. This has got to be about the tenth auction - all by different sellers, mind you - where 1974 repros of various DC keys are sold and not indicated as such, and all with the following monus operendi. First, the seller says s/he's not a comic pro, of course. But tellingly, they also give the book's measurements, 10 x 13 1/2 in. or 10 x 14. I have never seen a comic book seller mention a book's measurements, except in the case of these '74 repros (or, conversely, sellers selling real Batman 1's, etc., and photographing them by a ruler to show that they're not the '74 repros). Sometimes, the scammers don't come clean with the measurements until they've received many e-mails about authenticity, at which time, as with this listing, they discuss the likelihood of authenticity and, out of nowhere, discuss the book's dimensions. The reason, of course, is that Overstreet clearly states in each such book's listing (including Tec 27's) that the '74 reprint is identical to the original but for the 10 x 13 1/2 size. After the unsuspecting sucker buys the book, when he realizes the truth and contacts the seller, the seller can always say (a) I never promised it was authentic and (b) I did give the size, which Overstreet states is a repro, so there's been full disclosure. (Sellers who give the measurements as 10 x 14 rather than 10 x 13 1/2 probably think they're clever, because their dimensions are not identical to what it says in Overstreet about the repros, but they're still close enough that the seller can say it was an honest mistake.) The sellers occassionally have a lot of feedback, often from non-comic related sales, which makes the claim to non-expertise all the more plausible. I wonder whether there's some Website that teaches how to pull off EBay scams, and talks about the ole '74 reprint/measurement disclosure ploy. Maybe it's true what they say, that you can't cheat an honest man....

Ok everybody. Hands up who wants to go round to the gun-totting, scam artist with $16000 in cash ????????????

Thankyou for encouraging all my fellow board members......

You have a heart of gold.

Please. Do you really think someone is going to meet a scammer face-to-face with $16,000 to buy an item that you're 99.999999% sure is a farce?? makepoint.gif

Please. Do you really think someone is going to meet a scammer face-to-face with $16,000 to buy an item that you're 99.999999% sure is a farce??

That was then - this is now.....

At first we all thought it just MIGHT have been on the level. As events unfolded it became clear that it was YET ANOTHER SCAM.

893frustrated.gif

He took it down and put it up again!

Scam!

MAKE NO CLAIMS THAT THIS IS THE ORIGINAL. I BOUGHT THIS COMIC WITH ALOT OF OTHERS AT AN ESTATE SALE. I AM NOT A COMIC EXPERT SO YOU WILL HAVE TO BID AT YOUR OWN RISK!! THANK YOU AND GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!

boo.gif

Yeah, you'll need lots of luck dealing with people like this. flamed.gif

Ewwww…those scary Ebay dealers. Just when you thought it was safe to turn on the PC!

Now I wouldn’t want to go trotting anywhere with someone else’s money, but I would have happily knocked on the guy’s door if I was in the area and do a visual inspection. I would also have been happy to “educate” him if found to be wrong/scam.

Well, I live in Madison, Wisconsin and would gladly go give it a look-see.... if it were a Marvel book. I know less than nothing about Golden Age DC, tho', so I'd be dangerous. Anyhow, with a 97% rating, I'd definitely pass.

Good luck,

Fan4Fan