• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Perfect example of what is wrong with this hobby!

190 posts in this topic

As Lauren stated print books are on the decline. I believe with the increased circulation of the Amazon Kindle and other companies book tables that book circulation will drop even farther.

To combat this, some publishers are now limiting how long you have an e-book for in that Kindle. It's so they can maybe go and buy the physical book. (Much like how Fox is pulling their movies from Red Box after a month.)

As Lauren stated print books are on the decline. I believe with the increased circulation of the Amazon Kindle and other companies book tables that book circulation will drop even farther.

To combat this, some publishers are now limiting how long you have an e-book for in that Kindle. It's so they can maybe go and buy the physical book. (Much like how Fox is pulling their movies from Red Box after a month.)

I dont think they can limit a kindle book.

Once you buy it it's yours!

That episode were books were deleted was because the people who published the books had no right to them! so Amazon deleted them.

Amazon has said they will never do that again

I belong to a book club. I found it was a bargain compared to buying individually. I also have books on my ipod. I am having trouble though,I stay in hotels a lot and when I try to open my ebook the hotels wifi comes up and I can't seem to get it off the screen without closing the page and then starting over again and again.

I dont think they can limit a kindle book.

Once you buy it it's yours!

That episode were books were deleted was because the people who published the books had no right to them! so Amazon deleted them.

Amazon has said they will never do that again

Not true. Kindle used to allow for a reader option for all e-Books until publishers realized that they were essentially giving customers both a written text as well as the equivalent to books on cd amounting to a two-for-one deal. Many quickly got on board and put a stop to Kindle's voice reader option for their texts. I was very excited about this option for many of my students with written language disabilities until I saw this unfortunate development.

And for what it's worth, you're actually just purchasing a license for access to the text--not actually purchasing the text itself.

Yes I know some of my Ipod books expire..which sucks because I don't always read books right away. If I like a book I find myself obsessed with finishing it. Starting a large book could take me a few hours or days of straight reading so I tend to avoid starting until I can have the time in case it is good.

Do some people honestly think that novels will actually stop being printed anytime in the forseeable future? Come on.

My mom reads around three books a week, and I honestly can't see someone like her going and buying the latest (add any given electronics giant here) gadget just so she can download them.

Not everybody will embrace the world of evolving technology in the next few years. If novels were to switch to solely electronic ditribution anytime soon it would kill the industry stone dead within months.

We are not even close to having widespread available high speed internet throughout the country...until that happens, you will see printed media.

Comic books are different, not only is it about reading but it is about owning artwork.

You will never see artwork available only for download on the internet...that will always be a medium produced in "hard" copies...and I believe comic books will remain the same.

The only reason so many comics are online now is the lack of local stores and comic publishing companies are afraid they may be left behind...it's about reaching out to more people, not about replacing what they already have.

Do some people honestly think that novels will actually stop being printed anytime in the forseeable future? Come on.

My mom reads around three books a week, and I honestly can't see someone like her going and buying the latest (add any given electronics giant here) gadget just so she can download them.

Not everybody will embrace the world of evolving technology in the next few years. If novels were to switch to solely electronic ditribution anytime soon it would kill the industry stone dead within months.

(thumbs u

as I said before....as long as people have the sense of touch, sight, and even smell, printing will never, ever vanish.

Look at it this way....

Before printing took hold, how did people communicate? Through a combination of oral tradition and hand writing.

Have those things vanished?

No, of course not. Oral tradition...or "storytelling"...remains a viable method of communication throughout the world. Handwriting, too, though not anywhere near as popular, is still considered important enough to be taught in school.

My big fear isn't the disappearance of print....it's the destruction of the language at a ridiculously fast pace.

"Wahhh! you're such a grammar nazi! Wahhhh! Why do you have to correct my spelling and grammar!!?? WAHHHHH!"

Win u kent unturr stan wut ay half 2 seh bcuz wi done spec teh sim lane witch wi r rlly gona b skrud. Pee pull wil dai bcuz thay kent kum u nee ket.

And that's just the beginning.....

Rock,

I think a lot of the issues with grammar is that these kid's today just play games and sit around. Any sort of communication is done with text messages and quick emails. They have all been taught that it is ok to communicate quickly and typing cuz, instead of because in a text seem's "right" to them.

I believe that had you and I grown up today, we would be the same. Hopefully by college we would change our communication characteristics.

Rock,

I think a lot of the issues with grammar is that these kid's today just play games and sit around. Any sort of communication is done with text messages and quick emails. They have all been taught that it is ok to communicate quickly and typing cuz, instead of because in a text seem's "right" to them.

I believe that had you and I grown up today, we would be the same. Hopefully by college we would change our communication characteristics.

ur2gr82b4 gotn...I h8 2 say it bt ur kinde r

Rock,

Yet the word 'cuz' fits into today's vocabulary straight out of the dictionary doh!

Rock,

Stop posting on this message board and go fix your outstanding orders.

Rock, shove it. I am off right now. Also, fyi, I have computers at work and am on the boards then as well. When I go to work, I work, when I leave I go home, work some more and check out the boards.

Get off your pulpit, I am fixing them. I don't need to explain play by play to you

Rock, shove it. I am off right now. Also, fyi, I have computers at work and am on the boards then as well. When I go to work, I work, when I leave I go home, work some more and check out the boards.

Get off your pulpit, I am fixing them. I don't need to explain play by play to you

Stop posting on this message board and go fix your outstanding orders.