• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Supes #61 CGC 9.0 in CLink a resub?

164 posts in this topic

I do agree the proactive disclosure up front is the ideal compromise that should keep the peace between all sides involved.

(thumbs u

When I suggested stamping the centerfolds, I was really only half joking;)

I've had a few books pressed, all with very big problems, huge spine rolls, someone slept with the book, etc...maybe 5, total? I'm obviously not a huge fan of pressing, however, when I was in Chicago, I showed a friend (who does press) a few books I had purchased and automatically he said, "look, you can fix this...and this crease"...when I looked at him (like he lost his mind;) his answer was..."sorry, I just automaticallly look"...and I could see that...

This really is a game for some...and some nice people are into it...some nice people are not into it. I wasn't interested in fixing up a book from 6.5 to 7.0, because I just wanted the book to keep (at least for now). However, some others see it as an opportunity to make a little extra money and buy more books with that money.

I don't have a problem with that either, because once you buy the book, it's YOUR book as long as you proactively disclose when you sell.

So maybe we should stamp the covers, not the centerfolds ?..:shrug:

Seriously, there is no perfect answer, so let's just try and be respectful of other's opinions.

Sharon, you`ve summarized very well exactly what has gone wrong with this hobby. Pressing has gone from a relatively uncommon practice to fix the most extreme problems to almost standard practice with more and more people almost instinctively looking to tweak every book that they see, and many actually acting upon it.

And here`s the crux of why the live and let live approach that the pro-pressers are always advocating doesn`t work: because NOT pressing books by the anti-pressing contingent doesn`t impact the pressers (and actually helps them), while pressing books by the pro-pressing contingent DOES impact the non-pressers because it constantly reduces the pool of books that are available. Disclosure prevents people from getting ripped off, but it doesn`t change the fact that the books are getting altered.

I suppose there are more than 2 camps, Tim.

While I DO believe that pressing is restoration, I'm not against restoration. I might prefer a book that is not restored, but I don't hate them. I don't collect high grade books, but I'd prefer something that isn't falling apart and very often, it's the only way I can easily afford a key GA book that looks somewhat presentable.

I suppose I look at this, the same way I look at the historic designation on some houses. If I buy a house, although I might want to preserve the history, I just don't want someone to come in and tell me I can't fix damage to my house without asking the government first...so while I understand you wanting to collect only non restored (eg non pressed books)...I'm not sure how the pool can remain large without taking away the freedom of someone who makes a purchase.

So I don't really know what the answer is...

and OK, Roy, no stamps..*sigh*

That's not what Mike said at all.

Of course you have a more benign interpretation of what he said, Jeff. He`s not attacking you.

Your interpretation is not what I intended. I can see how you would take it as an attack, although a mild one, because I added the FDQ part in there. I probably should have left it out, but I won't apologize for it.

I will say I'm sincerely sorry, for you and others against pressing, that the pool of unaltered books to choose from is diminishing. However, I don't feel the same way, and my opinion, as well as many others, is just as important as yours. Actually, my opinion is much more important to me then yours is. I don't think your opinion should be unheard, and I don't think you, I, or either side should lower the debate to name calling and attacks. When that doesn't work to "stem the tide" what are you going to do, take it down another level?

I do agree the proactive disclosure up front is the ideal compromise that should keep the peace between all sides involved.

(thumbs u

When I suggested stamping the centerfolds, I was really only half joking;)

I've had a few books pressed, all with very big problems, huge spine rolls, someone slept with the book, etc...maybe 5, total? I'm obviously not a huge fan of pressing, however, when I was in Chicago, I showed a friend (who does press) a few books I had purchased and automatically he said, "look, you can fix this...and this crease"...when I looked at him (like he lost his mind;) his answer was..."sorry, I just automaticallly look"...and I could see that...

This really is a game for some...and some nice people are into it...some nice people are not into it. I wasn't interested in fixing up a book from 6.5 to 7.0, because I just wanted the book to keep (at least for now). However, some others see it as an opportunity to make a little extra money and buy more books with that money.

I don't have a problem with that either, because once you buy the book, it's YOUR book as long as you proactively disclose when you sell.

So maybe we should stamp the covers, not the centerfolds ?..:shrug:

Seriously, there is no perfect answer, so let's just try and be respectful of other's opinions.

Sharon, you`ve summarized very well exactly what has gone wrong with this hobby. Pressing has gone from a relatively uncommon practice to fix the most extreme problems to almost standard practice with more and more people almost instinctively looking to tweak every book that they see, and many actually acting upon it.

And here`s the crux of why the live and let live approach that the pro-pressers are always advocating doesn`t work: because NOT pressing books by the anti-pressing contingent doesn`t impact the pressers (and actually helps them), while pressing books by the pro-pressing contingent DOES impact the non-pressers because it constantly reduces the pool of books that are available. Disclosure prevents people from getting ripped off, but it doesn`t change the fact that the books are getting altered.

Yes we continue to see an increase in the number of books being pressed.

A surprise? Not really. Once the first book was pressed the game was on. Is anyone aware of the grade inflation that has been taking place? Does anyone check the census? Are higher quality books being found lately or is there another explanation? It's all about the money for many. My opinion, the pressing is driving prices which is driving the money into the hobby which is driving prices? Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown.

Does Disclosure prevent people from getting ripped off? Or does disclosure help buyers to understand what they are buying? " Purist Buyers" need to weigh whether their love for the hobby is stronger than their distaste of pressing?

Disclose will always be desired by buyers but will be rare in practice. I commit a marginal amount of funds to the hobby since I understand many of the risks. It's simply not a place for me to wade. Should I join the minions and fight the battle? No. I have long since come to believe that it's a waste of time.So my mantra is ,

"Forget it Jake, It's Chinatown".

I've had a few books pressed...

"Slimebag" :baiting:

shouldn't that be slimebagette (shrug)

Bagettes. :cloud9:

I press all my baguettes with my George Foreman Grill. One time, I got confused and well... let's just say Sheena ended up with some interesting butter stains. :blush:

Excuse me....lol...but that would be FORMER slimebagette...

as much as I believe in "freedom of the press" and I would defend an owner's right to tear the book up if he or she buys it, I think Tim talked me out of pretty much never pressing again, unless the book is already restored.

and I will have you know, when someone suggested I press my larson Fantastic (before slabbing it, I did say no:)

as much as I believe in "freedom of the press" and I would defend an owner's right to tear the book up if he or she buys it, I think Tim talked me out of pretty much never pressing again, unless the book is already restored.

and I will have you know, when someone suggested I press my larson Fantastic (before slabbing it, I did say no:)

Tim has also convinced me that I should never press!

I never have, and I never will snooty.gif

(But I will pay Matt to do it for me from time to time :gossip: )

I figure if it is your book, do with it as you please...leave as is, press, restore, whatever...who am I to dictate to another..

now, when one goes to sell, just tell me what you did to the book, if anything... sure, would be better if all books were sold untainted, but can we really say that someone dabbling on his action 14 in 1962 with a new black felt tip pen is a " amateur restorer" ... tough to draw the seperation, sometimes!

You're still a slimebag.

You're still a slimebag.

YES!!! :acclaim:

You're still a slimebag.

:gossip:It's OK, it's acceptable if you are over 6'12" ;)

You're still a slimebag.

:gossip:It's OK, it's acceptable if you are over 6'12" ;)

6'12" is almost 7 feet tall :insane:

You're still a slimebag.

he was a slimebag; his slime is so toxic he sorta corroded the bag to nothingness. he's now more or less an unconstrained mass of slime. a very tall mass.

i love the big slimemass, nonetheless. damn, that's alot of s's. i'm calling mattie to see if, with a press, press, mass, nothingness, slimemass and nonetheless can become pres, mas, nothingnes, slimemas and nonetheles. i know, y'all want me to stop being such an as.

It's comical that all this brouhaha started over a book that no one knows if it was even pressed or not to increase in grade by one grade level.

A more rancor deserving example would be the Jumbo I have that was previously graded a 7.0 by CGC. After it was cracked, pressed and resubmitted, it came back a 9.0.

Sheena got one hell of a boob job.