• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Census

16 posts in this topic

A few questions regarding the census...

When CGC updates their census, is the addition of newly graded books the only change they make?

Can anyone think of a feasible way to make the census more accurate (ie. in order to eliminate books that received bumps, pressing, etc, that might still be in the census as duplicates)?

Or is it more of a "why fix what's not broken" situation?

The only way to fix that is for people to mail their certificates in.

They used to offer an $11 credit IIRC when certs were returned for a re-submission but they no longer do, which is a shame.

Other than that there is no other way to enforce or encourage label return other than hope that people do.

R.

I think it was $3 per cert. They no longer do this. If you are re-subbing a book at least mail the labels in if you cracked it out.

You're probably right on the rice. $11 was/is the reholder price.

I agree that encouraging people to mail in labels would be a terrific thing for everyone.

I think it was $3 per cert. They no longer do this. If you are re-subbing a book at least mail the labels in if you cracked it out.

I agree that encouraging people to mail in labels would be a terrific thing for everyone.

Some worry about it affecting the grade. I think they have nothing to worry about, but if you do...send them in after.

Some worry about it affecting the grade. I think they have nothing to worry about, but if you do...send them in after.

I agreed. I'm 100% sure it will NOT affect the grade as the graders only see the book in front of them but it's not hard to stuff them in an envelope and just mail them in and it would greatly benefit the census.

(thumbs u

Lots of people consider the census "worthless" because of this problem... HOWEVER...

While it is true the census is "wrong" because there are books no longer in slabs,

the census can still be used in a "currently no more than" manner.

Suppose a book has 34 copies on the census in CGC 9.4.

Some people will say that the census is wrong, so the 34 doesn't mean anything...

BUT, it is still valid to say that there are "currently no more than 34 copies in CGC 9.4 slabs".

As a result, the census is always a "high estimate" of the current slab counts.

If you have "one of 34", it's possible you have "one of 30", but it's not possible you have "one of 35".

(thumbs u

Let's suppose for just a moment....someone were to get their hands on a very high grade key issue with availability at 1 or 2 at that grade. For this example we'll use Avengers 1 at 9.8 (and no I haven't looked to see how many there are) Let's suppose they list it for sale and have a shill bid something so ridiculously high that there's no way anyone would outbid them and so the shill ends up appearing to buy the book at a very inflated price.

Now....let about a year pass and crack the book out of the CGC case...let's resubmit, get the same grade with new CGC number. New Seller ID or what have you and sell this one with it being a very well known fact that one previously in the same grade sold for X, wouldn't that automatically necesitate that the asking price be that much or higher?

This would be a very real way to inflate the value of a high grade key issue and according to your example there's no more than 2 of these in existence.

You have a point with the "no more than."

I guess we just have to live with the fact that once the books are out of CGC's hands then that it is obviously out of their control.

When they went from old label to new label, I'm assuming there were a good number of books that were resubmitted for the new label. Is it safe to assume that there are a number of duplicates in the census from that transition or were most old labels turned in? (apologies but I wasn't paying much attention since I wasn't buying slabs during that time)

• Administrator

If the books were just sent for a reholder to get the new label, then that would not affect the census numbers. Only if the book was sent in for regrading without the label and the label was never returned would the census be affected.

Lots of people consider the census "worthless" because of this problem... HOWEVER...

While it is true the census is "wrong" because there are books no longer in slabs,

the census can still be used in a "currently no more than" manner.

Suppose a book has 34 copies on the census in CGC 9.4.

Some people will say that the census is wrong, so the 34 doesn't mean anything...

BUT, it is still valid to say that there are "currently no more than 34 copies in CGC 9.4 slabs".

As a result, the census is always a "high estimate" of the current slab counts.

If you have "one of 34", it's possible you have "one of 30", but it's not possible you have "one of 35".

(thumbs u

We know this because at CGC all the slabs are female. No unauthorized slabbing going on.

You have a point with the "no more than."

I guess we just have to live with the fact that once the books are out of CGC's hands then that it is obviously out of their control.

When they went from old label to new label, I'm assuming there were a good number of books that were resubmitted for the new label. Is it safe to assume that there are a number of duplicates in the census from that transition or were most old labels turned in? (apologies but I wasn't paying much attention since I wasn't buying slabs during that time)

Yes. There are a number of duplicates on the census.

How many? It's probably not possible to ever know.