• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Leo DiCaprio... collector?

56 posts in this topic

There would have to be at least TWO people bidding high for the prices to skyrocket in an auction, though.. If he is involved in some way, who could be bidding against him? :think:

(hint: it's not me)

There are two. DiCaprio and the auction house.

That's not nice to say.

(tsk)

the truth is not always a nice thing :baiting:

There would have to be at least TWO people bidding high for the prices to skyrocket in an auction, though.. If he is involved in some way, who could be bidding against him? :think:

That's not nice to say.

(tsk)

:applause:

That's not nice to say.

(tsk)

If someone has proof I'd love to hear it, otherwise saying negative things that are not true can be very damaging to a reputation.

I know that first hand.

That's not nice to say.

(tsk)

If someone has proof I'd love to hear it, otherwise saying negative things that are not true can be very damaging to a reputation.

I know that first hand.

I've said this here quite a few times before, but I'll say it again. Heritage allows it's employees and consignors to bid on it's own auctions. That information can be found in their terms of sale. Enough proof?

That's not nice to say.

(tsk)

What he said.

Hes a goldenage collector.I believe he is[was] a Metro Client to. I think Steve told me he bought a Marvel # 1 way back. I believe his father was in the comicbook business in some way. I cant remember how.

His dad did an underground called Cocaine Comics or Cocaine Comix. Something with Cocaine in the title anyway.

I guess hes an advocate of going Green too. Environmentally speaking.

Yes, he flies around in a private jet to speak on behalf of environmental causes.

That's not nice to say.

(tsk)

I know that first hand.

I've said this here quite a few times before, but I'll say it again. Heritage allows it's employees and consignors to bid on it's own auctions. That information can be found in their terms of sale. Enough proof?

Oh I know that. That still doesn't mean they are doing it.

I'm not defending Heritage. All I'm saying is that innocent until proven guilty is usually the way things go, isn't it?

There is a lot of talk in other threads of shill bidding and auction houses driving prices up to astronomical levels and yet from my experience it's been two zealous bidders that drive the price up.

I'm not saying it couldn't or doesn't happen, but until someone comes up with some proof it's really unfair to talk about it in a negative way.

As a FYI, I don't put in a high proxy bid in ANY auction just in case.

Word has it, father operated a comic book store in Venice CA, Leo has always been around comics his young like, can confirm he bought a Cap #1 from a certain comic book store in Santa Monica in the early 90's wrote a check for 25K on the spot jumped back in his limo, with girlfriend in tow.

True story, I was there a gaga,

B

when are you not a gaga?

That's not nice to say.

(tsk)

but probably true....

That's not nice to say.

(tsk)

but probably true....

Based on what?

Not trying to be difficult...just asking.

That's not nice to say.

(tsk)

but probably true....

Based on what?

Not trying to be difficult...just asking.

I love ya Roy, but sometimes your naïveté is profound

Buddy, I'm not being naive. I'm asking for facts.

I'm well aware of that auction house that got busted for shill bidding internally. I know it happens.

Still, it does not mean every auction is treated that way.

I've come to know some of the bidders and under bidders that have paid these strong prices and they are real people.

I've also happened to be a seller for some books that have gotten strong money and I've been paid every time by the auction house.

Most of these strong prices happen in the last few seconds, which means it's bidders going up against each other in the last few seconds.

PM or email with the facts is fine if you don't want to post it publicly.

(shrug)

Buddy, I'm not being naive. I'm asking for facts.

I'm well aware of that auction house that got busted for shill bidding internally. I know it happens.

Still, it does not mean every auction is treated that way.

I've come to know some of the bidders and under bidders that have paid these strong prices and they are real people.

I've also happened to be a seller for some books that have gotten strong money and I've been paid every time by the auction house.

Most of these strong prices happen in the last few seconds, which means it's bidders going up against each other in the last few seconds.

PM or email with the facts is fine if you don't want to post it publicly.

(shrug)

I just did a quick Google search brought up this story in the Dallas Observer site titled "Lawsuit Claims Heritage Auction Galleries Uses Fake Bidder to Manipulate Auctions" and is dated Sept 10, 2009:

http://www.dallasobserver.com/search/index?keywords=Heritage+Auction

Interesting story. I generally withhold judgment when there is an ex-employee with a vendetta, though. I've been involved in that before and the truth often gets twisted.

Bidding in your own auctions bothers me though. I can deal with employees bidding prior to the auction beginning but having the guys with a financial interest in the outcome going at it pushes the line a little.