• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which would be a better investment? X-men 137 or Hulk 340

36 posts in this topic

You would do far, far, far better learning how to grade with precision and buying raw books, and THEN slabbing them, as you will buying already slabbed books at this time.

This is true in the abstract, and is absolutely essential to building a real collection (which I question is of importance to you, based upon your focus on appreciation) but belies the fact that there are real bargains in slabs out there.

GPA 12-month has the Hulk #340 in CGC 9.8 at $223

-------------------------------

For $223 you can get a raw #340 that is likely a good 9.6 - 9.8 candidate with some searching as well as a #137 (actually, you could buy 2-3 of each to maximize your chances) and like 50-100 decent/nice bronze age books? I have a tough time seeing that Hulk 340 go beyond the above price and feel similarly about the X-Men 137 (though don't know what that sells for).

Maybe I'm delusional and out of whack with the times, but am I nuts to think that you can't go to a big show and pluck a fantastic copy or three of these books out of dealerstock and get them pretty easily for $20-$30 each (or less)? Maybe the X-Men 137 is tougher, even though it was a speculation book, it is a square bound giant size and almost 10 years older, but the last two copies of Hulk 340 I've owned came out of dollar boxes (true, one was a mistake the dealer said OK to because I bought a ton of other stuff and it was only like a 9.2 and the other was a 9.0).

I also agree that in terms of slabs, there's better stuff to spend your money on, though nothing on Aggiez list is a 9.8. Can the Spotlight 32 be had for under $250 in 9.8? How about Mystique's first app in Captain Marvel? What about something wacky like Sabretooth's second appearance in Powerman/Iron Fist? I mean, if you HAVE to have 9.8s. Hulk 340 is a cool book and an iconic rematch, but is that enough to spend close to $250 on? X-Men 137 would have meant a lot more if Phoenix had not been brought back 27 times since then.

Seriously, if Nik were still with us the man could walk into a show and find raw 9.8 copies of those 2 books priced at half guide in what, 20 minutes?

You would do far, far, far better learning how to grade with precision and buying raw books, and THEN slabbing them, as you will buying already slabbed books at this time.

This is true in the abstract, and is absolutely essential to building a real collection (which I question is of importance to you, based upon your focus on appreciation)

He asked a question about investment, I answered it. We don't live in a vacuum, after all.

Suffice it to say, I bought a Batman #232 and Spidey #129 last February for the sole and express purpose of slabbing & flipping. I already have copies of these books in grades that I am satisfied with; I certainly didn't need more copies for my collection.

I still have both, and have no intention of selling either. Have not sold, nor have any intention of selling, my undercopies.

but belies the fact that there are real bargains in slabs out there.

That depends on what you mean by real bargains.

Do you mean slabs that are flippable at a profit NOW?

Or do you mean slabs that have a serious amount of potential, and are cheap because the market doesn't choose to recognize them for what they are?

Suffice it to say, I bought a Batman #232 and Spidey #129 last February for the sole and express purpose of slabbing & flipping. I already have copies of these books in grades that I am satisfied with; I certainly didn't need more copies for my collection.

I still have both, and have no intention of selling either. Have not sold, nor have any intention of selling, my undercopies.

Sooo...you bought copies of books with the sole intention of flipping, but also with the intention of never selling?

Oooookay. Keep up that logistical nightmare of a point. (thumbs u

[Knowing that this post will never be replied to due to butthurt = priceless :cloud9: ]

Do you mean slabs that are flippable at a profit NOW?

Or do you mean slabs that have a serious amount of potential, and are cheap because the market doesn't choose to recognize them for what they are?

You are on my page! This is exactly the thinking I'm at right now trying to figure out what these diamonds in the making are.

Sooo...you bought copies of books with the sole intention of flipping, but also with the intention of never selling?

Oooookay. Keep up that logistical nightmare of a point. (thumbs u

[Knowing that this post will never be replied to due to butthurt = priceless :cloud9: ]

I'm not sure I follow him but I totally understand his point of view. I'm sucked into this hobby hardcore and would love to get some great comics that are worth money only because they are worth money. But then you have a piece of history and IMO it would be hard to let go. Same thing could be said if you bought a mint 1969 Camaro RS/SS. $$$$$$$$$ but could you let it go? Some yes, some no.

This is true in the abstract, and is absolutely essential to building a real collection (which I question is of importance to you, based upon your focus on appreciation) but belies the fact that there are real bargains in slabs out there.

not to mention fraught with danger, since it doesn't specifically exclude buying books off the Internet. If the statement was expanded to make sure it was referring to books one sees in-hand, then i woud agree

Oh, and for the record...and I know this doesn't help anyone, even me....but I don't think ANY CGC slabbed books are "a good investment" unless we're talking uber rare, and/or uber high grade.

And this means virtually everything from about 1964 up.

For every slabbed book that has gone UP since GPA was founded, I can show you 100 that have gone DOWN (ok, that may be an exaggeration, but it's not much of one.)

I think this is a great point. I just picked up a Daredevil 174, that I think has a really good shot at hitting 9.8. I bought it raw for $5.50 plus a couple dollars to ship it. Now, this isn't a KEY book or anything like that but buying it already slabbed would have cost quite a bit more. Plus now I have the fun of sending it in.

If you are patient books will come, for sure. When I started collecting in the mid-eighties, you had to be patient...there was no eBay, no internet that would allow you to pick up just about anything, anytime.

Here are a few books I'd rather have in that price rante...just a few...

Conan #1 CGC 9.0

Captain America #110 CGC 9.2

Hero for Hire #1 CGC 9.0

House of Secrets #92 CGC 7.5

Iron Fist #14 CGC 9.2

Iron Man #55 CGC 9.2Marvel Spotlight #2 CGC 9.0 WP

Marvel Spotlight #5 CGC 8.5

Marvel Spotlight #32 CGC 9.6 WP (probably a good investment)

Silver Surfer #4 CGC 8.0

Tomb of Dracula #10 CGC 9.2

Werewolf By Night #32 CGC 9.0 WP

Just me though... (shrug)

Those are my three.

Go with the XM 137...best single issue ever! :applause:

I dont think any copper comics are good investments - they are everywhere.

For $233 you would be better off buying a couple hundred dollar books and falling in love with the stories that grabbed us all and brought us here today and get a feel for the stories.

For the record I would choose XMen 137. One of the biggest stories in the whole Marvel Universe. Hulk 340 has a great cover and thats all. Neil

For $233 you would be better off buying a couple hundred dollar books and falling in love with the stories that grabbed us all and brought us here today and get a feel for the stories.

For the record I would choose XMen 137. One of the biggest stories in the whole Marvel Universe. Hulk 340 has a great cover and thats all. Neil

I would buy what you are into. If you like X-Men then 137 is the best copper to get for the story. If you like Todd's art then Hulk 340 is the way to go. Buy what you are into and so you can enjoy it if the price never goes up from what you paid for it. Both are good but can't go wrong with X-MEN. (thumbs u

I would buy what you are into. If you like X-Men then 137 is the best copper to get for the story. If you like Todd's art then Hulk 340 is the way to go. Buy what you are into and so you can enjoy it if the price never goes up from what you paid for it. Both are good but can't go wrong with X-MEN. (thumbs u

+1 (thumbs u

Here are a few books I'd rather have in that price rante...just a few...

Conan #1 CGC 9.0

Captain America #110 CGC 9.2

Hero for Hire #1 CGC 9.0

House of Secrets #92 CGC 7.5

Iron Fist #14 CGC 9.2

Iron Man #55 CGC 9.2

Marvel Spotlight #2 CGC 9.0 WP

Marvel Spotlight #5 CGC 8.5

Marvel Spotlight #32 CGC 9.6 WP (probably a good investment)

Silver Surfer #4 CGC 8.0

Tomb of Dracula #10 CGC 9.2

Werewolf By Night #32 CGC 9.0 WP

Just me though... (shrug)

I completely agree with this.