• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Visual guide to Mylar sizes
54 54

499 posts in this topic

I don't know if anyone mentioned it in previous pages, but instead of tape (which I absolutely hate to put anywhere near my comics - my personal preference) I use small white velcro dots to seal my comics in mylar.

Here are some pics as example for anyone who might want to look into alternative for tape (using my copy of Batman Adventures #12). The velcro dots I found was the easiest way for me to open and close mylar bags - when I want to read comic - with ease without having to stress about whether or not tape will ever touch comic as I'm pulling them out.

co7XIpz.jpg

uOeWv8x.jpg

Image of the velcro dot product:

P8uWzY3.jpg

The dots are relatively unobtrusive as one side is transparent and the other white. It's an added expense compared to using tape, but I found it worthwhile, so thought I share my method of using mylar with the board :)

I don't know if anyone mentioned it in previous pages, but instead of tape (which I absolutely hate to put anywhere near my comics - my personal preference) I use small white velcro dots to seal my comics in mylar.

Here are some pics as example for anyone who might want to look into alternative for tape (using my copy of Batman Adventures #12). The velcro dots I found was the easiest way for me to open and close mylar bags - when I want to read comic - with ease without having to stress about whether or not tape will ever touch comic as I'm pulling them out.

co7XIpz.jpg

uOeWv8x.jpg

P8uWzY3.jpg

The dots are relatively unobtrusive as one side is transparent and the other white. It's an added expense compared to using tape, but I found it worthwhile, so thought I share my method of using mylar with the board :)

That's an excellent idea, thanks.

co7XIpz.jpg

uOeWv8x.jpg

P8uWzY3.jpg

How thick are the Velcro tabs? Do you worry about an imprint on the comic that would be next in the box?

I'm using 725 Mylites2 with fullbacks for all my books. I store them in E Gerber acid-free boxes. There is an excessive amount of space on the right or left of the box after the comics are placed in the box. Any suggestions to prevent the books from shifting?

Great thread!

Thanks

Phil

How thick are the Velcro tabs? Do you worry about an imprint on the comic that would be next in the box?

Not very thick. I use mylites 2 and fullbacks combo (sometime halfbacks if they are cheap 'regular' books) for my entire collection and haven't had any problems. No imprint on books etc. I have around 1,500 comics atm all in short drawerboxes with small amount of room to easily sift through. I try not to cram to many books together, but if you over stuff your boxes I can see where the velcro dots might leave imprint.

Hope that helps :)

I finally ordered Mylites2 775M2 for my nice Silver and Bronze. Now I need to decide what to do with the rest of my books.

Maybe this has already been cover in one the 35 pages on this thread but is there an economical mylite for Copper/Modern books. I'm not going to use the same mylites I would for my Silver/Bronze but re bagging and boarding every so many years seems like a wast. It's not like I'm going to submit my 90s Batman books for grading but it would be nice to see them last in 9.+ condition as the years go by.

I see were the Mylites Plus 700M+, Current Comics at least come in a pack of 100 at under $25, maybe this would be the way to go in the long run?

Any suggestions or feedback on the Mylites Plus 700M+?

I finally ordered Mylites2 775M2 for my nice Silver and Bronze. Now I need to decide what to do with the rest of my books.

Maybe this has already been cover in one the 35 pages on this thread but is there an economical mylite for Copper/Modern books. I'm not going to use the same mylites I would for my Silver/Bronze but re bagging and boarding every so many years seems like a wast. It's not like I'm going to submit my 90s Batman books for grading but it would be nice to see them last in 9.+ condition as the years go by.

I see were the Mylites Plus 700M+, Current Comics at least come in a pack of 100 at under $25, maybe this would be the way to go in the long run?

Any suggestions or feedback on the Mylites Plus 700M+?

It is not a very popular thickness.

It costs nearly as much as the 2 mil in large quantities, so most distributors will not stock it. If you are purchasing in small quantities, I would not count on the price staying the same, especially if you are buying from the one ebay seller who is selling these. It appears that he bought a pallet of the entire range of Gerber products and he is selling these at the closest to his cost. You would be able to restock from the factory once he sells out, but they have a minimum shipping and handling cost of $15.

I would recommend the 2 mil.

Not bags, but boards - is there an easy way to tell Halfbacks from Fullbacks? As in, are the Halfbacks more like the thickness of a standard board and a Fullback much stiffer, or...?

-slym

Yes, halfbacks are 24 mil thick, basically the thickness of your average comic board and Fullbacks are 42 mil, almost, but not quite twice as thick.

I'm using 725 Mylites2 with fullbacks for all my books. I store them in E Gerber acid-free boxes. There is an excessive amount of space on the right or left of the box after the comics are placed in the box. Any suggestions to prevent the books from shifting?

Great thread!

Thanks

Phil

Yes put some books in that space, or a cardboard spacer.

co7XIpz.jpg

uOeWv8x.jpg

P8uWzY3.jpg

Interesting, I will have to check these out. Currently I am using tape with tabs on them already, and placing them reverse on the comic bag/ mylar so that when I want to open a bag I pull the tab off the flap so it opens, and I leave the tabbed tape on the main section. No tape pulls.

I hate the velcro dots

I had some where the adhesive was not strong enough and they either stuck to each other when opening, fell off or shifted slightly, leaving adhesive behind.

Additionally they take up a lot of space due to the height of the hook and loop fasteners. You can probably fit 120 books with tape or post-it tab fasteners in the same space as 100 books with velcro.

I only collect the walking dead comics and I want to put them in Standard Mylite2s bags and FullBacks boards.

Do you think this combination will be to tight for the comics?

725 Standard Mylite2s

700 Standard Fullback Boards

If you do collect the walking dead and you use 725 and 700FB can you scan a photo or take a photo of it? I have been worrying so much about this because they are a lot of money and I don't want to buy the wrong ones.

I only collect the walking dead comics and I want to put them in Standard Mylite2s bags and FullBacks boards.

725 Standard Mylite2s

If you do collect the walking dead and you use 725 and 700FB can you scan a photo or take a photo of it? I have been worrying so much about this because they are a lot of money and I don't want to buy the wrong ones.

Check out the very first post in this thread. It has a really good write up with pictures.

725 Standard Mylite2s

This is what a copper/modern book looks like inside a 725M2 - can't go wrong with that size for your walking dead books :thumbsup:

http://www.angryapecomics.com/mylarguide/modern-725m2.jpg