• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman or Action comics?

25 posts in this topic

I have decided to collect one or the other of these titles. I have a bunch of both but I'm going to begin to unload one of the titles and concentrate on getting the full run of the other. But before I do I'd like to get peoples opinions on which Title they think is the better to collect? Superman or Action comics...

I mean which one do you think has the better covers, more relevant storylines, more in demand, better outlook long term, etc....

Thanks and I appreciate your input )

Martin

Action is always harder to find in the early numbers...I don't think very many of the Superman books are rare or hard to find, but there are a few very tough Actions. It's also the first Superman series, just as Detective is more sought after and harder to complete than Batman..

and I like Lois lane, lol...the books are so silly, they are funny.

But you should collect the ones YOU like best, Martin, check the covers in the GCD:) and good luck!

Thanks Sharon.... The problem with me has been that I like everything, and that gets expensive..) .... thanks for the link to the cover database.. awesome... I give the slight edge to Superman as far as covers, although I could use a little less yellow in every other book.

Maybe I will just flip a coin... here goes....

ok, best out of three..

ughh best out of five..

ugh... I dunno...

Wow.. great advice.. and so selflish and thoughtful.... don't tell me, the next reply will be "Unload both Action and Superman to me and start collecting Jimmy Olsens and Lois Lanes"

'

Just funning with you. Obviously, I like the Actions better so, that would be my first pick. Good luck with whatever you decide. (thumbs u

Wow.. great advice.. and so selflish and thoughtful.... don't tell me, the next reply will be "Unload both Action and Superman to me and start collecting Jimmy Olsens and Lois Lanes"

'

Just funning with you. Obviously, I like the Actions better so, that would be my first pick. Good luck with whatever you decide. (thumbs u

I know you were ))... Maybe I'll keep em both..lol

I collect both, from the SA up until about Crisis. I was just thinking about this yesterday, oddly enough - I prefer Action and I'm not sure why. At least for SA/BA, they just seem to be more fun to read. There are some good Superman runs, starting in the 70s, though. From 290 or so onwards, I'd say it's the better written book over the contemporaneous Actions, though that's just a gut feeling.

Well, whatever you decide to collect, you have a shot on both #1 issues on CC right now, which are both going to go for cheap money.

I think Supes might be a lot easier to collect, since it´ll be totally expensive to get a #1 and 2 and nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get a #3. Haven´t seen one for sale in years

since I have put both runs together at one point or another, I found that I had to make my criteria for collecting Superman "tougher" to make it a challenge at all...

in other words, if you have the bank, you can put a superman run together in about 4 minutes! (heck, there is a 1-108 auction on ebay right now that can be had for $75K)...

there is not that much "challenge" outside of finances...so, I chose to only collect one particular grade, etc...made the run fun to put together...

action, on the other hand, has some challenging books to get (3, 7, 10, 13) immediately come to mind... it is MUCH tougher to put together, and you really can't enter with any criteria, because sometimes you might only get 1 chance to own a particular copy...

so, from a challenge standpoint, Action (and it has some great war covers, etc) is the way to go...but, it is financially challeging too

from a completist and fun standpoint, Superman is easier and more attainable (thumbs u

I need 3 issues to complete Action 1-15 right now...haven't seen a copy of 1 of the 3 I need in some time (the other 2 are fairly readily avialable)...but issue #3 has been eluding me for a while now

Though it would be impossible to complete, I think the Actions are cooler
Impossible? :tonofbricks:
neither is impossible...in fact, superman is "easy"... action is tougher, but can be done (I am working on my second time putting the run together (thumbs u )