• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is the Rob Liefeld of comic book writers?

83 posts in this topic

I absolutely can't stand Jeph Loeb's writing.

Ordinarily I just see his name on the cover and immediately move onto something else on the LCS shelves.

The only time I look at his stuff properly is when he's paired up with Rob Liefeld, for example, Onslaught Reborn. I tend to sit down at the LCS and go through the book killing myself laughing at what a disaster area it is, and at the end it goes straight back on the shelf. So, he's entertaining occasionally, but with me not quite for the intended reason.

I absolutely can't stand Jeph Loeb's writing.

Ordinarily I just see his name on the cover and immediately move onto something else on the LCS shelves.

The only time I look at his stuff properly is when he's paired up with Rob Liefeld, for example, Onslaught Reborn. I tend to sit down at the LCS and go through the book killing myself laughing at what a disaster area it is, and at the end it goes straight back on the shelf. So, he's entertaining occasionally, but with me not quite for the intended reason.

I'll give him a call and tell him to give back all those Eisner Awards. lol

Judd Winnick. DC keeps using him on high profile books and he keeps killing them. Batman is tanking with him as writer.

Bendis is pretty damned good but team books dont give him enough space to do his style of massive hip dialogue

I'm trying to decide if this is sarcasm/irony or not.

IMO some of the utter pile leaders are:

Kevin Smith - Daredevil: Guardian Devil arc & Batman: Cacophony were utter garbage

Frank Miller**: All Star Batman (could be considered good if you don't take it seriously) **I do LOVE Frank's previous works, but ASB was complete trash

Daniel Way - He's a hit or misser; Wolverine Origins wasn't worth the paper it was printed on

If Rob Liefeld is the worst writer/artist, doesn't that make Eric Powell the Anti-Liefeld?

not quite, that would be jeff smith

That's a great idea....who are the BEST writer/artists out there. Guys who write and do the artwork on their own book.

Jeff Smith

Dave Sim...if you take the time to look at Cerebus it is some of the most lush linework and inking you may ever see. Yes Gerhard deserves credit for his artistic contributions as well.

Eric Powell (on some issues he has written, penciled, inked, hand colored, and hand lettered) but he has written, penciled and inked, or inkwashed every issue of the run while creating the artwork for every cover of which most of which were painted.

Good idea for a twist on this thread.

Best,

Chris

If Rob Liefeld is the worst writer/artist, doesn't that make Eric Powell the Anti-Liefeld?

That's a great idea....who are the BEST writer/artists out there. Guys who write and do the artwork on their own book.

Jeff Smith

Dave Sim...if you take the time to look at Cerebus it is some of the most lush linework and inking you may ever see. Yes Gerhard deserves credit for his artistic contributions as well.

Eric Powell (on some issues he has written, penciled, inked, hand colored, and hand lettered) but he has written, penciled and inked, or inkwashed every issue of the run while creating the artwork for every cover of which most of which were painted.

Good idea for a twist on this thread.

Best,

Chris

mike mignola

chris ware

eric powell +1

Eric Powell kicks Jeff Smith's azz. :baiting:

agreed

"I'm Scott Malkinson and Lebowski is always right."

If Michael Turner hadn't sadly passed away so young, I wonder if his work would have received the same negative reactions as Liefeld 5-10 years from now. Like Liefeld, he enjoyed fame as a hot artist, but over time I read more complaints about his work. I was never a big fan of Turner's variant covers on books that I would read. Again, I think his passing will cause critics to be more gentle, but Liefeld was hardly the only hot artist whose work doesn't hold up when the rose-colored glasses come off.

If Michael Turner hadn't sadly passed away so young, I wonder if his work would have received the same negative reactions as Liefeld 5-10 years from now. Like Liefeld, he enjoyed fame as a hot artist, but over time I read more complaints about his work. I was never a big fan of Turner's variant covers on books that I would read. Again, I think his passing will cause critics to be more gentle, but Liefeld was hardly the only hot artist whose work doesn't hold up when the rose-colored glasses come off.

So your comparing this:

civil-war.jpg

To this?? :insane:

LiefeldAnatomy.jpg

So your comparing this:

civil-war.jpg

LiefeldAnatomy.jpg

That Cap pic is an extremely bad Liefeld piece, even for him. But, neither Liefeld nor Turner could draw feet, so there's a quick and easy comparison for you. ;)

So your comparing this:

civil-war.jpg

LiefeldAnatomy.jpg

That Cap pic is an extremely bad Liefeld piece, even for him. But, neither Liefeld nor Turner could draw feet, so there's a quick and easy comparison for you. ;)

That second CAP is just SO wrong. :insane:

So your comparing this:

civil-war.jpg

LiefeldAnatomy.jpg

I never noticed...course i dont have a thing for feet! lol