• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN Appreciation Thread

197 posts in this topic

If people don't mind seeing reader copies, I'll fill in some issues. Lots of Bob Brown covers, mostly slightly edited seller's scans.

Chall 18 with a big ol' corner chip.

Chall18.jpg

Chall 22. Bizarre monster!

Chall22.jpg

Chall 24 -- inexplicably, I really like Multi-Man. We've already seen a scan of his first issue, #14. Was a numbers runner taking notes on the cover?

Chall24.jpg

Jack

If people don't mind seeing reader copies, I'll fill in some issues. Lots of Bob Brown covers, mostly slightly edited seller's scans.

Chall 27 -- Volcano Man AGAIN!

Chall27.jpg

Chall 27 splash panel (coverless copy)

Chall27cvls.jpg

Chall 28 -- Challs encounter statues of themselves AGAIN. Why does June only get her face in a window?

Chall28.jpg

Jack

Chall 34. Multi-Man finds a pal. I hope they're not planning on raising a family.

Chall34.jpg

Chall 35. Florence flask cover.

Chall35.jpg

Chall 40. Multi-Man again -- I like this bee and spider web cover.

Chall40.jpg

Jack

Chall 42 -- reminds me of the League of Lame-o Villains in X-Men around this time (#22-23, I think)

Chall42.jpg

Chall 42 splash page (coverless copy)

For some reason, seeing that motley crew gathered at a conference table cracks me up.

Chall42cvls.jpg

Chall 43 splash (coverless copy)

Chall43cvrls.jpg

Chall 45 -- look who's taken over the Lame-o League!

Chall45.jpg

Jack

I hope someone posts Sponge-Man, #47 and 51. Hilarious villain! He absorbs all the color. He absorbs all the sound. He almost absorbs all the water in the world. He absorbs any semblance of a rational plot! #51 is a fun Sea Devils team-up.

Chall 50. Has any team been transformed into evil monsters more often than the Challengers? The Vorld's Vilest Villain only gets a blurb.

Chall50.jpg

Chall 52. Villo the Giant Pin-Head gets the cover slot. They're really stretching for villains now. The series is probably on the ropes. Will DC's Angel of Death, Jack Sparling, be here soon? No! DC soon tries to resuscitate the series with Adams, Cardy, Kubert and Kirby!

Chall52.jpg

Chall 54. Who needs that ol' logo? Notice that it's Villo in charge again.

Chall54.jpg

Chall 59. Bob Brown and possibly an early Neal Adams inking job (according to GCD) trying to look like Kirby?

Chall59.jpg

Chall 60. You don't suppose that monster could be one of the Challengers, do you?

Chall60.jpg

Chall 73. Challengers jump on the Weird bandwagon with a good Cardy cover. This is my last scan that I'd call Silver Age.

Chall73.jpg

I'm only 19 issues short of a full run (plus Showcases and including 1-6 of course), but I've sort of accumulated the series without even trying. I wish I had more of them scanned, especially the nicer copies, and there are a few of those.

Jack

I really HATED the CHALLS' yellow muscle-shirt costumes...ICK!...what were they thinking? Give me the purple jumpsuits any day.

Speaking of color, does anyone out there have any COLOR repos of SKY MASTERS Sundays? There is a long story and connection between the CHALLS and Kirby's space-age newspaper strip and they would fit in nicely here!

Fun books, Jack, and an even more entertaining commentary. (:

Yeah, let's have some more of the same :applause:

Thanks!

I live to serve.

I'll dig through the boxes that aren't in storage to see if I have any more to scan.

Jack

In order to keep the monsters interesting, there was always a wide variety of colors and super-powers that each Challenger monsters possesed.

Here is a very dynamic Bob Brown cover.

Behold...THE AQUA-BEAST!

CHALLS_26.jpg

Very nice! You're embarrassing my copies.

Thankfully June doesn't have to worry about wrinkles in her trousers with the Aqua-Beast around. (Are those riding pants or does June got back?)

Jack

This is proving to be an entertaining thread. Unfortunately, I think the Challengers jumped the shark pretty quickly once Kirby left the sceen. Here's my only other copy. I'd like to collect at least the 10 centers but they seem to be really hard to find in decent shape.

Challengers9.jpg

Here's another wAcKy Challengers monster! I wonder how the Challs will get out of this one???

CHALLS_17.jpg

Stop talking and run!

Ken

Good advice. lol

Always amazed how much comic characters managed to say in the middle of the action!