• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN Appreciation Thread

197 posts in this topic

The #11 is one of the those wash tone covers that doesn't grab me. Oh well. Here are three more from my collection:

16-08-201173446PM.jpg

02-06-201182004PM.jpg

12-07-2011105332PM.jpg

:cool:

Hepcat,

As per issue #11. A check shows this cover is a bit out of character for the Challenger group. Normally one or more of them is taking on the monster, or at least preparing to. In this cover, however they are all fleeing from the power of the explosion. :o

The book does have some excellent art and stories. Of course, as the splash page shows there was a small problem initially when they took on the flying aliens. :gossip:

CH_11sp.jpg

Note: On issue 10 I always thought it appears that the fish is swimming above the water line. Is anyone else puzzled about the diving globe being above water or not?

CHAL_10.jpg

The perspective makes no sense at all. It's as if the inker or colorist didn't realize that the whole scene was underwater and added lines and coloring which give the appearance of a skyline above water. You wonder how the editor dropped the ball on that one.

(shrug)

I didn't think the Challengers looked right in short-sleeved tunics that weren't even purple.

rantrant

yeah, I like cover #9 the best... did you ever hear from the Little Dot #1 owner, now that was a sweet collection... I passed up F richie rich #1 for $100 kinda regret it, not that I like richie rich now, but because those got me into comics as a kid