• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN Appreciation Thread

197 posts in this topic

Anybody interested in this? :)

Steve

challengers6.jpg

Wow, that's uber high grade for an early Challenger! Gorgeous...

Thanks John, actually trying to sell it. :)

Oh, good luck! Are you going to post it in the selling forum?

I just checked and it's tied for second highest graded. High grade Challengers are rare as hens teeth.

I was happy to get a group of nice 10-centers (from DRX as well). These issues seem to be particularly hard to come by in decent shape--even more so than the more coveted Kirby issues, I think. I was having trouble finding any of them.

Challs13.jpg

Challs15.jpg

Challs17.jpg

Challs19.jpg

I was happy to get a group of nice 10-centers (from DRX as well). These issues seem to be particularly hard to come by in decent shape--even more so than the more coveted Kirby issues, I think. I was having trouble finding any of them.

Bob Brown did have some big shoes to fill when Kirby left DC for Atlas...

Ive shown this one before, and its one of my favorite Challs covers:

chunk_10.jpg

And like Jack, Mr Brown did excel at creating interesting monsters

CHALLS_32.jpg

I really like this one too:

CHALLS_38.jpg

I find myself in desperate need of trimming down my comics. Unfortunately this means that I am parting from some comics I would rather not. As it is, my Challengers of the Unknown is one such title. However, if they have to go, I REALLY want them to go to a person who will properly appreciate them. They are currently listed on eBay under the username Gambit.Flower in a lot of twenty. This includes issue #1 and starts with a 19.99 start bid. I really hope someone here gets them, as I assume this is where I’ll find the people who will treat the issues with the most kindness. Good Luck!

I have no clue how to load images (modern technology, not my thing, i still love my NES) but i have some great shots that you can see a lot of detail in that i can email anyone who wants them. My email is a gmail with a username Gambit.Flower.

Here are the descriptions,

#1 printed in 1958, with a ten cent cover price. The spine is delicately attached, rather detached in most areas. The cover lays flat but there is a seven inch white mark vertically down the book and a similar line of three inches where it had once been dog eared. The bottom left-hand corner has a similar smaller line where that too had once been folded. There is ¼ by 1 ½ section missing from the bottom right hand corner. All inside pages are attached (firmly sans cover) and all are flaw free sans small crease in the corner of the first half of the pages. Back cover is flat, no major creases. Bottom corner has a fold line four inches long but flat. small radiating fractures along spine. Please be careful when you de-bag!

#4 printed in 1958 with a ten cent cover price. The cover lays flat with no major creases, when really looking one can see the indentation of where the top right corner was once folded, very mild. The spine is firm but is softly fraying. The top left corner is missing a triangular section of ¼ inch. Some white chipping along the bottom edge and the bottom left hand corner has a rounded white line. No creases or flaws on any inside page, all of which are there. The back cover has the typical dirt discoloration. Very light water damage at the bottom corner. The paper is not warped and it is only visible as the outer ring of shape, a color which is very similar to the page anyways. This ring is about an inch into the back cover. Also, along the top edge is stamped in black “AUG 14 1958”. I’m not a grader but this book is a very nice sold copy.

#9 printed in 1959 with a ten cent cover price. The cover is attached but 2/3rds of the spine is split. The comic lays flat but there is evidence of repeated creasing across the cover. Sharp edges. The bottom left corner has a half inch by inch portion missing. There is some fire damage, (goodness knows how) through the last five pages and cover. This is 3 by 1 ½ area at it’s worse. This is the book in the least favorable condition of the twenty.

#23 printed in 1961 with a twelve cent cover price. The cover not attached but it’s not noticeable from the outside of the comic. The cover detached cleanly from the stables but the front and back is still a solid sheet. There are no major creases in the cover some very mild light white lines, nothing noticeable when looking from a foot away. No damage alone the perimeter of the book, the edges are very sharp. There is light water damage isolated to the bottom left corner but this is only noticeable when looking at the back of the front cover. Also, there is a 5 written in faded black marker over the comic code symbol. No flaws on any of the inside pages. The back cover’s only flaw is a ½ inch portion missing by the bottom staple.

#36 printed in 1964 with a twelve cent cover price. The cover has no creases, there is two inch X that looks like it might have been made with a pin. Minor chipping is along the edges but they are more sharp than not. The top right hand corner has a folded mark at about ¼ inch. The top left hand corner has a similar sized mark only with detachment at the spine for that ¾ inch. All inner pages are flawless with the exception of the very middle page being detached from the top staple. Back cover has the light discoloration from age but is otherwise faultless.

#41 printed late ‘64 - early ‘65 with a twelve cent cover price. This is where the comics in this lot really start reflecting light. The spine of this issue is firmly attached but the top staple is starting to pull away from the front cover. No creases, folds or anything wrong with the cover except that this issue has done that white line along spine thing where the back cover starts creeping onto the front cover. Back cover, some dirt from age but no visual faults.

#45 printed in 1965 with a twelve cent cover price. This cover has some damage, the top left hand corner has an 1/8th inch portion missing. There is some tape damage which is purple like the cover and not eye catching but it is a 1/4th by 2/3rds inch in size. The spine is fully and firmly attached. There is an inch long tenth of and inch wide of cover missing along the bottom edge. On the right hand side of the cover there is some water damage. Nothing is warped, everything lays flat but there is discoloration noticeable only because it is located on the white banner. The water damage is present to a lesser degree for two pages. No faults with the rest of the inside pages. Very light dirt discoloration on back cover.

#47 printed in 1965 with a twelve cent cover price. The cover has a faded crease mark where the top corner was made, the fold is seven inches reaching from top of the book to the right edge. The back cover has started creeping onto the front creating the white line along the spine. No damage or faults inside, light dirt discoloration on back.

#48 printed in 1966 with a twelve cent cover price. This book suffered come water damage. It’s almost not noticeable on the cover because it looks like it is part of the image however, the cover does hold discoloration if looked for and it shows more so on the back of the front cover. Also, the front cover, and only the cover has mild warping. The water damage is only barely noticeable on the few pages closest to the covers. The back cover is similar to the front.

#49 printed in 1966 with a twelve cent cover price. This book also has some water damage but to a lesser degree than book 48. None of the inner pages are touched by the water damage. The front cover is warped to feel over a space the size of a quarter. There are creases you can feel but not see on the front cover. The white is creeping along the spine.

#51 printed in 1966 with a twelve cent cover price. The feel of this book is a bit different from the rest, I’d almost call it rough or gritty. The water damage is nearly identical to book 49. The spine is attached but is starting to split along the stables and is not attached for an inch of space hover between the bottom staple and the bottom of the page. No faults with inside pages.

#53 printed in 1967 with a twelve cent cover price. Same condition as book 51 with added creasing on front cover with added creasing at top and bottom right corners.

#55 printed in 1967. Cover is firmly attached, mild creasing at bottom right corner, lays flat. Water damage is evident on the front cover along half of the right edge. This is not visible but you can feel the change in the paper. The water damage does become visible inside the book at the bottom corner of the pages. The inside pages are darker than the rest of the books in this lot and feel to be of lesser quality.

#57 printed in 1967 with a twelve cent cover price. This book is not near mint and the same dirt/age discoloration is on the back cover but I can find no other fault with this book.

#60 printed in 1968 with a twelve cent cover price. On the cover there is ½ inch diameter dot of something in the lower right hand corner. The book feels stiffer than most of the others but I find no other fault.

#61 printed in 1968 with a twelve cent cover price. There is a thin white line that looks to be made with something similar to a needle for a fourth down the page. Around the edges, primarily the spine and bottom, there looks to be some buffing. Some creases on cover detectable by touch.

#68 printed in 1969 with a twelve cent cover price. Spine firm, some buffing along the spine. Age discoloration on back cover.

#72 printed in 1970 with a fifteen cent cover price. Spine firm with white wrapping around from the back cover. Very small creases at bottom right corner. Discoloration caused by age, consistent with what you’d expect.

#74 printed in 1970 with a fifteen cent cover price. Spine firm, all inside pages faultless, there is a strange yellow chalk like stain on the cover about the size of a quarter. It almost blends with the cover. The back cover has water discoloration on the top left corner with no warping. The water damage does not reach any other pages.

#75 printed in 1970 with a fifteen cent cover price. Everything is nice and faultless until the back cover. On the inside of the back cover there is address information or some writing to do with posting which is in pen and the indentations show through to the back cover. There is also a water stain on the top left corner which does not hit any of the inside pages.

Welcome to the boards, you actually have to post comics for sale in the "Comics Market - Forum Only Selling" Thread. And please read the guide for posting first. Goodluck, (thumbs u

showcase11.jpg

OMG, I am without speech. What a fresh looking copy of such a tough book.

I like the the way the red date stamp blends in with clouds. White pages ?!?

Awesome book, I hope it is a personal keeper.

showcase11.jpg

OMG, I am without speech. What a fresh looking copy of such a tough book.

I like the the way the red date stamp blends in with clouds. White pages ?!?

Awesome book, I hope it is a personal keeper.

Got it in the last Heritage auction. I don't have it in my grubby paws yet. It will probably show up here tomorrow, right after I hit the road for Charlotte :pullhair:

It is a keeper, though it is very late for what I normally collect. But dang, what a cover!

showcase11.jpg

Good golly! One of my favoirte SA covers. I've always thought the red-white-and-blue colors in the upper third of the cover were particularly attractive, especially with the pinks and lavendars in the smoke and the greens in the background.