• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ok....who bought it !!?

32 posts in this topic

I stand corrected. I'm very American-centric, I admit. Your post explains more fully why these prices are being realized, so thank you for that.

I guess time will tell in terms of staying power, as these pieces (especially panel pages) may eventually hit the secondary market.

Now that I have convinced you I will trade you straight up one of my Dredd pages for one of your Killing Joke pages. :devil: and :roflmao:

Does anyone seriously doubt that KJ will have more staying power and room for growth than Dredd? One of them is still in publication after 20 years :baiting:

Hari

Do realize that Dredd stories are still being published in the UK and have been for the last 32 consecutive years?

Do you realize that Dredd stories have been constantly in print in the US over the last 26 years?

Do you realize that Dredd has appeared in nearly 2000 issues since his 1st appearance?

Those three points are completely negated by the fact that sylvester stallone played dredd on the big screen :kidaround:

Just bustin your chops. I love the judge

Does anyone seriously doubt that KJ will have more staying power and room for growth than Dredd? One of them is still in publication after 20 years :baiting:

Hari

Hari,

You need to take the time to read those books my man. This is a wee bit off.

Oh No...I feel a rantrant coming on.

Do realize that Dredd stories are still being published in the UK and have been for the last 32 consecutive years?

Do you realize that Dredd stories have been constantly in print in the US over the last 26 years?

Do you realize that Dredd has appeared in nearly 2000 issues since his 1st appearance?

Killing Joke is a wonderful one shot story. But it was out of print for most of the last 20 years until they released the anniversary hardcover. Being in print in 1988-1990 and then out of print until 2008 doesn't mean it's "still in publication". "Back in publication" yes.

Not only is Dredd one of the most enduring characters of British comics, he's spent more time in publication in America than KJ. Beginning in 1983 Dredd stories began running in the US and stayed in publication until the late 1990's. At the same time the TPB's of all the great stories have continued to go back to the presses over and over and over again which has kept Dredd "still in publication" in the US for the last 25 years without a break .

As well Dredd has now been optioned to an American comic book publisher to begin printing new stories with new covers by Bolland and others. A new Judge Dredd film is in production along with another video game built around the Dredd universe.

Judge Dredd isn't just another character, an entire comics universe was built around this character. It's a universe that still lives and breathes today and has been for over 30 years non-stop. With the amount of love, fandom, and success the universe and the character has enjoyed in his 32 year unbroken streak I doubt he is going to fade away anytime soon. He's a fricken Icon to millions upon millions of fans.

The KJ one shot is great, iconic, wonderful. So are these early Dredd stories. I think there is room for both to exist in the world. Especially since one of them has proven to be consistently successful for over 3 decades and been the subject of comic, novel, film, audio book, video game, toy and merchandising non stop over that period.

Just saying. Dismissing Dredd as something that isn't still around, isn't still influential, isn't still popular, and isn't iconic, is an error.

Best, :foryou:

Chris

Hit him again Chris, I think he's still twitching! lol

Actually I did think Hari had completely overlooked the significance of the character, particularly that he's still going strong today, here in the mother land at least. But I think you covered everything pretty comprehensively, counsellor.

:applause:

Hari

Hari,

You need to take the time to read those books my man. This is a wee bit off.

Oh No...I feel a rantrant coming on.

Killing Joke is a wonderful one shot story. But it was out of print for most of the last 20 years until they released the anniversary hardcover. Being in print in 1988-1990 and then out of print until 2008 doesn't mean it's "still in publication". "Back in publication" yes.

Not only is Dredd one of the most enduring characters of British comics, he's spent more time in publication in America than KJ. Beginning in 1983 Dredd stories began running in the US and stayed in publication until the late 1990's. At the same time the TPB's of all the great stories have continued to go back to the presses over and over and over again which has kept Dredd "still in publication" in the US for the last 25 years without a break .

As well Dredd has now been optioned to an American comic book publisher to begin printing new stories with new covers by Bolland and others. A new Judge Dredd film is in production along with another video game built around the Dredd universe.

Judge Dredd isn't just another character, an entire comics universe was built around this character. It's a universe that still lives and breathes today and has been for over 30 years non-stop. With the amount of love, fandom, and success the universe and the character has enjoyed in his 32 year unbroken streak I doubt he is going to fade away anytime soon. He's a fricken Icon to millions upon millions of fans.

The KJ one shot is great, iconic, wonderful. So are these early Dredd stories. I think there is room for both to exist in the world. Especially since one of them has proven to be consistently successful for over 3 decades and been the subject of comic, novel, film, audio book, video game, toy and merchandising non stop over that period.

Just saying. Dismissing Dredd as something that isn't still around, isn't still influential, isn't still popular, and isn't iconic, is an error.

Best, :foryou:

Chris

Hit him again Chris, I think he's still twitching! lol

Actually I did think Hari had completely overlooked the significance of the character, particularly that he's still going strong today, here in the mother land at least. But I think you covered everything pretty comprehensively, counsellor.

:applause:

Damn lawyers :baiting:

I certainly wouldn't be interested in this Judge Dredd cover...

Not everyone likes the same thing, that's the beauty of our hobby and of art appreciation in general.

You might not like what I like, and I might not like what you like. (what do you like btw?)

To me, this Judge Dredd cover is one of the most memorable covers of the last couple of decades. It helped to introduce a character that has been a staple of British comics for about 40 years to American audiences.

It's hard to find an artist with more technical skill than Bolland, and this cover clearly and concisely captures the essence of the character and draws the reader in for a closer look. To collectors in the UK they may love Dredd more than Spider-man and if you read these stories, look at this art, and realize the history the character enjoys you might understand their point of view.

After reading the Judge Death/Dark Judges Saga I realized immediately I was reading one of the best comic stories ever. So the demand for this artwork doesn't shock me in the least. If more American readers took the time to read the stories and take in the lovely artwork they might realize that as well.

Best,

Chris

True, I need something that get's me excited. Older SA and GA stuff and some old horror seems to be my poison.

Those three points are completely negated by the fact that sylvester stallone played dredd on the big screen :kidaround:

Just bustin your chops. I love the judge

I know I'm in the minority here, but I actually liked the movie! and I've never even read the comic book!

No tomatoes please! :boo: