• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ref: what push your limits of patience when at a show or LCS

399 posts in this topic

Oh, here's another good one for you.

There's a certain comic book shop that I stopped going into for the following reason. I'm sure this doesn't happen very often.

In the early part of the decade I got a little jaded and was only buying maybe at most 6 comic books a month. The proprietor of the shop regularly started giving me dirty scowly looks when I entered, which I ignored- just thought he was being miserable or something like.

One day he appears from the stock room, rushes up to me and starts snorting away in my face, you know, like he's facing someone down to pick a fight with them. I can't figure what this is all about, so I turn away from him and he hits me on the back of the head. True story.

I walk out and never return, thinking pragmatically about what had just happened. What a coward he was, doing this when there were no other customers present and only a couple of very shocked-looking assistants to witness his actions and to desperately assert his alpha-maleness with. I had no way of proving the assault itself, but I did make it clear in a complaint letter to his boss that if this was ever repeated (outside the premises) and I have witnesses to support me that I would happily have the guy prosecuted. The complaint letter itself yielded no apology. Go figure.

A while later I discovered that the staff at the shop had previously informed the manager that I "wasn't buying any comics" - not true, as I stated above, but he clearly felt entitled to unrealistic amounts of business from me and had the big hissy tantrum when I didn't fulfil my 'obligation' to him.

I don't think anyone here can possibly come up with a sadder story.

I hope not. This one makes me weep.

There's a certain comic book shop that I stopped going into for the following reason. I'm sure this doesn't happen very often.

In the early part of the decade I got a little jaded and was only buying maybe at most 6 comic books a month. The proprietor of the shop regularly started giving me dirty scowly looks when I entered, which I ignored- just thought he was being miserable or something like.

One day he appears from the stock room, rushes up to me and starts snorting away in my face, you know, like he's facing someone down to pick a fight with them. I can't figure what this is all about, so I turn away from him and he hits me on the back of the head. True story.

I walk out and never return, thinking pragmatically about what had just happened. What a coward he was, doing this when there were no other customers present and only a couple of very shocked-looking assistants to witness his actions and to desperately assert his alpha-maleness with. I had no way of proving the assault itself, but I did make it clear in a complaint letter to his boss that if this was ever repeated (outside the premises) and I have witnesses to support me that I would happily have the guy prosecuted. The complaint letter itself yielded no apology. Go figure.

A while later I discovered that the staff at the shop had previously informed the manager that I "wasn't buying any comics" - not true, as I stated above, but he clearly felt entitled to unrealistic amounts of business from me and had the big hissy tantrum when I didn't fulfil my 'obligation' to him.

:( sad to say your right. If I were you I would have still mad a police report you may have not been the only one to have dealt with the meat head.

Customers who never buy from me that come up and ask what I would price a certain book at. And it's not the same book every time and it's done every Chicago show.

Customers when putting a book back in the box insisting on stuffing it in even when it's meeting resistance. I've literally had them try and stuff one comic into the other and then get upset when I stop them.

Topless male dealers. Frankly guys, your best years are behind you. I don't care how hot it is keep the shirt on. And remember your superpowers guys over 40, you are invisible to women in their 20's.

man, you should of broke that dudes nose lol....

Customers who never buy from me that come up and ask what I would price a certain book at. And it's not the same book every time and it's done every Chicago show.

Customers when putting a book back in the box insisting on stuffing it in even when it's meeting resistance. I've literally had them try and stuff one comic into the other and then get upset when I stop them.

Topless male dealers. Frankly guys, your best years are behind you. I don't care how hot it is keep the shirt on. And remember your superpowers guys over 40, you are invisible to women in their 20's.

:sick:

The only things I can think of that bother me at a show would be

1) Loud, constant noise...like the live punk band playing in Chicago this year doh! or the video game section when someone has volume cranked.

2) poor lighting. It's a constant at cons and is really tough on the eyes.

I don't have any complatins about the LCS I frequent as it's owned by a guy who is big on customer service and I've never had a problem.

1) Loud, constant noise...like the live punk band playing in Chicago this year doh! or the video game section when someone has volume cranked.

I don't have any complatins about the LCS I frequent as it's owned by a guy who is big on customer service and I've never had a problem.

Curly haired bohemians :baiting:

Curly haired bohemians :baiting:

I don't know that I've ever seen one at a show.

???

I'm not a big fan of spending 15 minutes scrutinizing 20 copies of the same comic to find the best one, only to get to the cash register where the clerk bends the comic putting it into a bag.

That is probably my biggest pet peeve....at that point I don't even want to but the books anymore...makes me wonder if people who own LCS even care about comic books...if I had a shop, each book would be bagged and boarded!!!!

There is a shop that is about 45 minutes away in Iowa City(that is local for me) and they don't even bag new books. I could see not bagging them when they are on the shelf, but to just stick it in the sack without anything at all....Despite this they are great store, they have a huge selection of recent comics, the store is clean, organized and the staff is very friendly.

This just happen this past Sunday -- was at a large very nice flea market - there was a comic dealer with about 20 very nice golden age books on his display -- wanted way to much for all them -- but the guy had 8 short boxes of mostly 80`s and 90`s drek on his table -- I skimmed thru the boxes some nice Wonder Womans in the mid 200`s , Wolverine 1 along with some more early issues -- just really good drek - if there is such a thing -- dude says he wants to get rid of them and blurts out take them all for a nickle apiece ........ I think for a minute and say sure -- want to just make it an even $40 instead of counting each book individually -- since they were all bagged and boarded at about 100 books a box --- guys starts going ughh --uhh -uuhh ---- his buddy then reminds him he did say .05 a book -- guy then backs out of the offer and says he cant do it but he`ll take $180 for the books as thats what he paid -- needless to say , I just say whatever and walk away ..... guess he wasnt expecting me to take him up on his offer

One more thing...lol. I really hate it when a shop shelves their books in some sort of rack that stands them up and then they need a brace in front of them to keep them from spilling out. Everyone who looks through the books bends them over as they are thumbing through them. There are always three or four that are left all bent to hell, that nobody wants to buy. You would think that a shop owner could save some money by shelving books in a way that would keep them in better condition.

I also think is kind of cheap of stores to take brand new variants, like the Daredevil 500 1:25, and slap a 24.95 price tag on it right out of the box. You would have to be nuts to buy it at that price, but why can't they put a decent price on it...reward the customer a little.

Hearing the " My mother/father threw out my comics when I was a kid" or any of the other seemingly endless variations of it. Usually I get an issue by issue (they would've all been 9.4's, etc) listing. At least give me the readers digest version because believe me, I've heard it before :)

1) Loud, constant noise...like the live punk band playing in Chicago this year doh!

That was so fricking irritating!! :frustrated:

DRX

I also think is kind of cheap of stores to take brand new variants, like the Daredevil 500 1:25, and slap a 24.95 price tag on it right out of the box. You would have to be nuts to buy it at that price, but why can't they put a decent price on it...reward the customer a little.

Because the store needs to buy 25 copies of Daredevil #500 (that may or may not sell) in order to get that single 1:25 variant?

Because if they price it at cover price some guy will grab it & flip it on ebay in a second?

There is a shop that is about 45 minutes away in Iowa City(that is local for me) and they don't even bag new books. I could see not bagging them when they are on the shelf, but to just stick it in the sack without anything at all....

The shop closest to me does that, sticks them in a bag unless you want to pay an extra 15 or 25 cents for a bag/board.