• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trimmed art

17 posts in this topic

Question on a piece like this. It's a Kirby splash from Demon 16 and a pretty nice one but the edges have been trimmed including into some of the art.

Any ideas how badly this affects value? From what I can tell similar pieces, if untrimmed go for about $1000-1400. Then is 500-700 off base? Thank you ahead of time for any input.

Here's a link to a larger scan

th_005.jpg

002.jpg

Oh and here's another piece that came with this one. It's a kamandi page and trimmed up to the comic edges. I figure this would also be discounted but not quite as heavily.

Larger images on the thumbnail

th_006.jpgth_003.jpg

001.jpg

As far as I am concerned, there is no discount if it's trimmed to the margins but does not affect the art. I personally would pay full price as long as the art is not trimmed into.

IF the art itself is affected, then yes a discount is in order.

Thus, the second page should reflect full market value, while the first page may have a discount of sorts. In my mind, a 20-30% discount seems reasonable for it, as clearly over 90% of the art is unaffected and there remains great eye appeal.

Best,

Hari

Hi, a new guy here so take my statement knowing I lack a lot of experience and knowledge. For me personally, a page trimmed to the margins that didn't affect the art wouldn't be valued at 100%. If I had a choice between two pages, comparable in every way execpt one was untrimmed and the other was trimmed right up to the margins and not affecting the art, I would rather have the untrimmed page. How much of a discount would depend on the piece, but for me, a 5% maybe even a 10% discount. Just my opinion and preference.

Regards,

Darren

the art does NOT seem to be trimmed to me at all.

the art displayed is behind a mat that is used when you frame it !!

at least this is what it seems to me.

the mats are not cut to the exact size of the piece / artwork.

this way some of the art is behind the mat and therefore does not show.

I don't know it does kind of look that way from the front. In the back images the edges are not straight...

Hi, a new guy here so take my statement knowing I lack a lot of experience and knowledge. For me personally, a page trimmed to the margins that didn't affect the art wouldn't be valued at 100%. If I had a choice between two pages, comparable in every way execpt one was untrimmed and the other was trimmed right up to the margins and not affecting the art, I would rather have the untrimmed page. How much of a discount would depend on the piece, but for me, a 5% maybe even a 10% discount. Just my opinion and preference.

c

Regards,

Darren

Hi Darren,

Your argument works for something like comic books, where there can be two identical books, one trimmed one not, but for comic book art you will not find two pieces "comparable in every way" because original comic book art is one-of-a-kind. The vast majority of the value of a piece of original art relates to content, vintage, artist, nostalgia/readership, etc, with minimal relationship to condition for the most part. In general, deal breakers on condition typically are excessive stats, caked on white out (not for artistic purposes), tears, rips and pieces missing, changes in the art, redrawn art, water damage, and severe yellowing/damage unamenable to restoration. Trimming is seen as minor unless it affects the art. I believe this has been concensus in the community for some time, although individual collectors will undoubtedly differ in opinions.

Hari

These are not behind any mat and are pages pure and clear. The picture was taken with the floor as a background to the OA.

Thank you for all the responses.

Ed

Your argument works for something like comic books, where there can be two identical books, one trimmed one not, but for comic book art you will not find two pieces "comparable in every way" because original comic book art is one-of-a-kind. The vast majority of the value of a piece of original art relates to content, vintage, artist, nostalgia/readership, etc, with minimal relationship to condition for the most part. In general, deal breakers on condition typically are excessive stats, caked on white out (not for artistic purposes), tears, rips and pieces missing, changes in the art, redrawn art, water damage, and severe yellowing/damage unamenable to restoration. Trimming is seen as minor unless it affects the art. I believe this has been concensus in the community for some time, although individual collectors will undoubtedly differ in opinions.

Hari

I'd have to disagree slightly here, since in my view there is very little OA that truely comes into the 'one of a kind' category.

Most pages of art do indeed have very comparable examples...with the same characters, by the same artist, sometimes from the same book.

If I came across two similar pieces of art by the same artist and one was trimmed and one not, I would pick the untrimmed piece every time.

My feeling is that if a piece of art is trimmed it DOES affect the value. Perhaps not as much as a stat, or a bad stain, but an affect nevertheless. hm

Hari

I'd have to disagree slightly here, since in my view there is very little OA that truely comes into the 'one of a kind' category.

Most pages of art do indeed have very comparable examples...with the same characters, by the same artist, sometimes from the same book.

If I came across two similar pieces of art by the same artist and one was trimmed and one not, I would pick the untrimmed piece every time.

My feeling is that if a piece of art is trimmed it DOES affect the value. Perhaps not as much as a stat, or a bad stain, but an affect nevertheless. hm

I agree with what you say, however for what I collect there is little comparable art available oftentimes. As you go for older and older art, the rarity factor becomes striking. What you see is what you get, and you'll have to decide if the trimmed factor is a deal breaker. For me, whenever something like this has come up, I've more often gone for it than not, as comparable examples are few and far between.

For more modern art, the supply is surely there to be more choosy.

Best,

Hari

Hi Darren,

Hari

Hi Hari,

You make a very good point and I agree that when dealing with original art finding pieces that are “comparable in every way” is very difficult. Blowout states it in a much clearer manner when he says, “Most pages of art do indeed have very comparable examples...with the same characters, by the same artist, sometimes from the same book.” But as you say, for older art, this doesn’t necessarily apply.

My statement was generally more theoretical than practical and was intended to illustrate that, at least for me personally, trimming a page to its margins would be a factor in the way I value it. I like seeing the title, issue number and page number at the top border and any comments that are sometimes on the other borders. Trimming a page to its margins would not be a deal breaker but would, for me, affect my overall interest in the piece. Although the most important thing is that the actual art is unaffected by the trimming. In any case, thank you for your comments and insight.

Kind regards,

Darren

Question on a piece like this. It's a Kirby splash from Demon 16 and a pretty nice one but the edges have been trimmed including into some of the art.

Any ideas how badly this affects value? From what I can tell similar pieces, if untrimmed go for about $1000-1400. Then is 500-700 off base? Thank you ahead of time for any input.

Here's a link to a larger scan

th_005.jpg

002.jpg

$1000 would be an acceptable price