• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NFS

174 posts in this topic

So, I was wondering what you all think proper etiquette is on a piece listed as NFS or not for sale? If your searching CAF, and you see a really sweet piece that you really really want, but its a NFS, is it ok to contact the person and ask if they would be willing to sell if the price was right, or not contact them at all. I know some people get really erked if you ask them if they would be willing to sell, while others are open to offers. So what do you think is the right way to go about this. It never hurts to ask, right? (shrug)

I agree, i cant remember who said it, or what thread it was in, but someone had expressed their frustration when someone asks them if they will sell, especially if multiple people ask. But hey, at least you know you have a very desired piece.

Even when someone has "NO WAY "!...or "Grail !" or whatever, I shoot them an email if I am really interested...Sometimes, it's just about timing. I've emailed people who have won stuff on Ebay the day the auction ended and I was able to buy it.....course, there are those pieces that people tell me to "wait till I get the piece".....and when they do, it's "I'm keeping this bad boy !".....(a certian Hamiliton Spider-man piece that a board member here snatched from me fits into this category).... :cloud9::devil:

It never hurts to ask!

I have NFS pieces, and even though I won't sell if someone asks, I'll keep them in mind if I change my mind in the future. Plus its flattering to get friendly inquiries!

Malvin

I couldn't agree more.

that is true, making an offer sucks sometimes. You dont want to overpay, and you dont want to come off as cheap either. Whenever i make an offer i feel like I am in no mans land, I usually have absolutely no idea what price is right.

It never hurts to ask, but at the same time, the OA hobby is a small community and no one wants to be known as the guy who regularly makes low ball offers.

I always assume pages marked NFS are valued by the current owners, so if I am making an offer on a page marked NFS, I try to make it worthwhile for the owner to consider parting with the page. Generally, this means I add 10-25% on top of whatever I believe is FMV just to start negotiations. That seems to be effective and I have been able to make several purchases that way. I'm sure I've overpaid, but I would rather have a reputation for being fair.

I ping people all the time. In many case I get a polite "no" but you never know until you ask. The hardest thing to do is make an offer. I have had no luck with this ... guess I am just too cheap ...

If I see a NFS, I assume it is not available. If the owner had ANY intentions of selling, they should make that known and clear, IMO.

As for "best offer" listing, I only approach those, if the owner has a price to go along with it (example: $150.00 or best offer). This gives me a good idea on what they are looking to get for it. So I can rough out an idea of how much below that they might go, as well as how much over I'd be willing to go. Without a price attached, though, "best offer" is treated as a NFS with me. If the owner can't even be bothered to give you some idea what they want, then they really aren't that interested to sell, in my eyes.

I have had some success asking. I am lucky because most of the stuff I look for nowadays has a market value of 500 to 700 so if I offer 1000 or so, it is a good premium (percentage wise) without breaking the bank. I have also gotten some offers without taking any but it doesn't mean they bother me. I answer politely to all inquiries.

I've noticed a lot of the time just listing something on CAF is an advertisement that it's for sale for the right price. Bottom line is that everything is a conversation. Ask away politely, and you might make a new acquaintance, the piece might be offered to you in the future, or you might have a shot at it right away. I'd say the chances of you one day obtaining that NFS piece are at least 50/50 if you keep at it. (in general, as you will have no luck with some folks and plenty of luck with others)

I do it a lot with people who have nice Kitson pages, they have said no, but I have had a couple email me months later saying they want to sell, so it doesn't hurt

I ping people all the time. In many case I get a polite "no" but you never know until you ask. The hardest thing to do is make an offer. I have had no luck with this ... guess I am just too cheap ...

If I see a NFS, I assume it is not available. If the owner had ANY intentions of selling, they should make that known and clear, IMO.

cool more art potentially for me.

There are probably a few people who find it annoying but there are many many people who if you are willing to pay stupid money for a piece are more than willing to sell. I mean if someone is offering double what you paid for a piece just 2 years ago it's hard not to turn down such a strong offer. If you are only going to offer market value or round what a person paid and it's listed NFS I probably wouldn't bother. I've had several people offer good money, but at the time I was not looking to sell. However, a short time later I have decided to let some pieces go and they are the first people I contact. For that reason I would say it is worth contacting them.

I've had several people offer good money, but at the time I was not looking to sell. However, a short time later I have decided to let some pieces go and they are the first people I contact. For that reason I would say it is worth contacting them.

This is a much more interesting question. I've had several pieces in my CAF listed as NFS. It hasn't stopped people from asking to 'please keep me in mind if you decide to sell'.

Well, over the course of time, I've contacted the folks that loved the piece so much, and I keep all of their emails, so when it comes time to sell, I contact them first, and I can't begin to tell you the types of excuses I've received about them not being able to purchase the art for reason X, Y, Z.

I'd say only 1 in 10 have actually followed through and made the purchase.

What has everyone else's experience been?

NFS is the default for the "For Sale Status" on CAF, and I keep all my art on it for no better reason than laziness. I get inquiries from time to time and it does not bother me. I have not sold anything this way, but it could work in the future.

On the other side, I have not inquired about pieces in other CAF galleries listed as NFS.

Even when someone has "NO WAY "!...or "Grail !" or whatever, I shoot them an email if I am really interested...Sometimes, it's just about timing. I've emailed people who have won stuff on Ebay the day the auction ended and I was able to buy it.....course, there are those pieces that people tell me to "wait till I get the piece".....and when they do, it's "I'm keeping this bad boy !".....(a certian Hamiliton Spider-man piece that a board member here snatched from me fits into this category).... :cloud9::devil:

Michael -

You are too funny, there was no snatching involved - none whatsoever :slapfight: Anyway, thanks for the props . . . I think ???

As for the thread, from my understanding, most people don't mind an inquiry about a NFS piece, as long as the inquiry is made tactfully and thoughtfully. Also, it never hurts to ask to be kept in mind if the person should decide to sell the piece.

What I think people do mind are lowball offers on a piece. Especially when it is preceded by months of "This is my grail of grails," etc.

Good luck with your inquries!

- A