• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NFS

174 posts in this topic

Actually, all my pieces listed NFS are "not for sale at any price."

So if someone offered you, say, $10K for this classy piece:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=287375&GSub=82368

Felix,

I was thinking, I need an appraiser for insurance purposes.

What is your availability and hourly rate?

Hugs and Kisses,

Moi

...you'd turn them down?

Sorry, buddy, but you are entirely full of mess.

I'd sell it if I was offered $50

(shrug)

Felix,

Hugs and Kisses,

Moi

If someone made such an offer (which is so far out of the range of possibilities, that it almost isn't even worth the effort it took to type it), my response would be something like this:

"Thank you for that most generous offer, but the piece really isn't for sale at this time. I do appreciate your interest, though. If I ever decide to part with this item, I'll be sure to drop you an email, so you can have first shot at it. Thanks again."

See, sometimes, money isn't always the answer. And if I were to expect such an offer to part with the piece, I'd pretty much be a fool (or a money-grubbing jerk, or both). With me, NFS means just that... not for sale (at any price). Because if it was for sale, I'd have a price on it. :)

Michael -

You are too funny, there was no snatching involved - none whatsoever Anyway, thanks for the props . . . I think

Artemis,

I was glad to see my humor wasn't lost on you....I meant the utmost respect, of course :foryou: - We've talked a few times and I've always enjoyed your posts.....Insightful, interesting and well written....

Now, to get back to the matter at hand. I am anti-"make an offer"....I usually, 99% of the time, refuse to do so if someone has something I admire and try to obtain. -

That being said, my own personal rule is such : If I am emailing someone out of the blue about a piece in their gallery and it's marked NFS, then for them to say make an offer is not unexpected.

On the flip side, what I can't stand and ALWAYS avoid is the person actively looking to sell a piece(s) and has "Offers" written all over the place....It's your piece, you're looking to sell it, list a price !! rantrant

Now, to get back to the matter at hand. I am anti-"make an offer"....I usually, 99% of the time, refuse to do so if someone has something I admire and try to obtain. -

That being said, my own personal rule is such : If I am emailing someone out of the blue about a piece in their gallery and it's marked NFS, then for them to say make an offer is not unexpected.

On the flip side, what I can't stand and ALWAYS avoid is the person actively looking to sell a piece(s) and has "Offers" written all over the place....It's your piece, you're looking to sell it, list a price !! rantrant

Oh, I never said it should be "unexpected." Just that, with the owner of the piece holding all the cards, if they want to give the potential buyer a hope that they can obtain this "NFS" item, they have the onus of giving them the proper information on what that will involve. And that, if they have no wish to do that, simply say "sorry, it's not for sale at any price." Saves both parties from wasted time and lowball offers.

And I do agree that to have something for sale with nothing but "make an offer" is very annoying. I mean, you have to know what you want to get out of it. Just say what it is.

Felix,

Hugs and Kisses,

Moi

If someone made such an offer (which is so far out of the range of possibilities, that it almost isn't even worth the effort it took to type it), my response would be something like this:

"Thank you for that most generous offer, but the piece really isn't for sale at this time. I do appreciate your interest, though. If I ever decide to part with this item, I'll be sure to drop you an email, so you can have first shot at it. Thanks again."

See, sometimes, money isn't always the answer. And if I were to expect such an offer to part with the piece, I'd pretty much be a fool (or a money-grubbing jerk, or both). With me, NFS means just that... not for sale (at any price). Because if it was for sale, I'd have a price on it. :)

Felix was looking for this:

no_bullshit.jpg

but what we got was this:

elephant20shit1.jpg

You don't have to like it, but that's the facts. Deal with it.

Well, I am talking to myself here since someone blocked me for disagreeing with him.

But it made me chuckle when someone says his opinions are facts, especially when he is the only one expressing it.

Malvin

Malvin, are you saying that James blocked you for disagreeing with him??

If that's the case, it sure sounds childish.

Actually, he's blocked because of his insultingly jerkish behavior towards me and I simply have no time for such people.

The fact I'm being disagreed with here by others, yet still talking to them, should show you what the truth really is.

Sigh, should I really fan this thing?

I participate in debates, and point out foolish opinions by taking their opinions in a different setting to show how foolish it is. Nothing more than what someone else did by asking someone to price his entire collection since he has the power.

The ignore feature is probably a good thing, prevents flame wars, even though it shuts you out to other points of view, allowing you to think that your opinions are facts.

Malvin

PS At least I don't spam people (including strangers!) to ask them to comment on my pieces on CAF. :D

Felix,

Hugs and Kisses,

Moi

no_bullshit.jpg

elephant20shit1.jpg

:roflmao:

and here I thought this thread was going to go down the gutter when instead its turned into pure comedy gold :headbang::applause::banana:

You don't have to like it, but that's the facts. Deal with it.

Well, I am talking to myself here since someone blocked me for disagreeing with him.

But it made me chuckle when someone says his opinions are facts, especially when he is the only one expressing it.

Malvin

Malvin, are you saying that James blocked you for disagreeing with him??

If that's the case, it sure sounds childish.

Actually, he's blocked because of his insultingly jerkish behavior towards me and I simply have no time for such people.

The fact I'm being disagreed with here by others, yet still talking to them, should show you what the truth really is.

Sigh, should I really fan this thing?

I participate in debates, and point out foolish opinions by taking their opinions in a different setting to show how foolish it is. Nothing more than what someone else did by asking someone to price his entire collection since he has the power.

The ignore feature is probably a good thing, prevents flame wars, even though it shuts you out to other points of view, allowing you to think that your opinions are facts.

Malvin

PS At least I don't spam people (including strangers!) to ask them to comment on my pieces on CAF. :D

Dear sir

I just added this piece to my collection. Please view it or comment. :whistle:

no_bullshit.jpg

elephant20shit1.jpg

and here I thought this thread was going to go down the gutter when instead its turned into pure comedy gold :headbang::applause::banana:

Wow. ??? Really? You are all such jaded cynics, that you truly can't believe that there are people in this world who don't put money as #1 in life? And even more, you find it funny if someone does?

Maybe it's not this thread we need to have concern of going down the gutter... :(:sick:

Sorry if my honesty and sense of principles has upset your worldviews, folks. But I'm even sorrier about what you all must have lived through, to allow yourselves to find such traits as laughable or stupid. You all have my deepest pity. (shrug)

It appears that we all have personal meanings and rules for NFS...I believe it happens to be the default setting on CAF in manage galleries. So it seems kind of ambiguous, this NFS ...B/c to some it means 'make me a crazy offer so I can make a ton of money' and others 'It's really not for sale...at this time' and others 'hmmm, maybe I can get enough to buy that sweet piece...' or 'You need to wow me b/c I love this piece and I think you need to double the price I paid 8 months ago' and many, many other meanings. When someone types 'NFS, REALLY' or 'NFS I MEAN IT', well I think we all know what to do, there is no question...( wait a few years :baiting: )

I wouldn't get mad if a novice, for whatever reason offered something on a NFS piece that wasn't all that close to spectacular. (If a dealer did though, I'd tell others and call him a bad name or something no big deal, some of the OA dealers are such #$%&ers). Now there is a for sale section, but I state almost anything is up for sale/trade...you never, ever, know. Anyway, there are tons of clueless people out there who are beginning, may not know what all you guys know etc., give them a break, they don't know what they're doing...yet. Let's not come across as condescending snobs so much.

I too, am anti-'make offer'...I guess it's ok if you are a dealer type trying to make cash...but I asked my brother, and he agrees...and to us, there is something 'not right' about it, there is some toying there...in our humble opinion...(there are exceptions though, ioho, but were are speaking in general)...

Great thread...love the poop...

[

Would you consider this practice to ALWAYS be out of bounds? Suppose a collector has a truly rare and/or significant piece of art that he decides to put on the market. He knows quite well what the "market value" is on a piece because he is a seasoned collector, but he also knows this piece is so good that buyers are going to come out of the woodwork and really reach for a special piece. Isn't "taking offers" about the same as a going to an auction house to try for top dollar but without having to pay the juice? I guess a lack of transparency might be an issue for some in this case (fabricating a high offer to try to maximize another collectors offer for example), but I've seen a lot of stellar pieces sold via "offers".

Scott Williams

One very positive thing that has happened with me when inquiring about a page someone has is the owner has declined, but has also been open with me on what the approximate price they paid was and where they thought a similar item would fall price wise. This has been just plan great since it is so hard to gauge art prices if you are not familiar with the pricing and can't find any equivalent sales data.

To those people who have helped educate me, a sincere THANKS!

no_bullshit.jpg

elephant20shit1.jpg

Wow. ??? Really? You are all such jaded cynics, that you truly can't believe that there are people in this world who don't put money as #1 in life? And even more, you find it funny if someone does?

Maybe it's not this thread we need to have concern of going down the gutter... :(:sick:

Sorry if my honesty and sense of principles has upset your worldviews, folks. But I'm even sorrier about what you all must have lived through, to allow yourselves to find such traits as laughable or stupid. You all have my deepest pity. (shrug)

look out folks.. it just got even deeper

Steaming_Compost_Pile.jpg

I shudder a bit to jump in on this,... so to speak. Especially as I've just got home driving from CA and am still foggy; but... I think part of the problem here is that we seem to be trying to get at some existential truth or general OA philosophy here when really 'nfs' means many things to many people. If that weren't the case, then we wouldn't be having this discussion. Many collectors/dealers list pieces nfs and yet we see the pieces sell. That doesn't mean that all people sell their nfs pieces, but many do. Now, I've inquired on nfs pieces myself and have received responses all over the scale from get lost and or ignore to price is 5k send me a check and it's yours... I've made offers on said pieces, I've refused to make offers too and I've changed my mind and waddled away. Each piece is unique and so is each potential deal/ buyer/ seller. There is no right answer here, and alot simply depends on who the parties are. For instance; if Richie had received that 2k offer from me, I assume he would most likely think it was a typo because he knows me and he would inquire back as to my typing skills...(perhaps it was meant to be $20,000?). With someone out of the blue, he most likely would choose to ignore their email and move on without reply as he is most likely doing in this case.

I really don't care what others choose to do, when I see 'nfs' I will take stock of the seller, make decisions about my desire for the piece and then negotiate how I damn well please. I may make a big offer, or I may ask the owner what he wants.I have done both! I don't have a rule carved in stone. I may get the piece, I may not, but I certainly will not lose out because I have previously laid down some arbitrary rule for myself regarding how to treat the dreaded/sacred 'nfs'...Chances are with a modicum of discretion and manners there will be some sort of meeting of minds no matter what the outcome is. Just my free opinion,... if you want my 2cents you will have to make an offer... :grin:

if Richie had received that 2k offer from me, I assume he would most likely think it was a typo because he knows me and he would inquire back as to my typing skills...(perhaps it was meant to be $20,000?).

With someone out of the blue, he most likely would choose to ignore their email and move on without reply as he is most likely doing in this case.

Correcto-mundo Dan..

wxcept I did give him the courtesy of a very courteous no thanks

It appears that we all have personal meanings and rules for NFS...I believe it happens to be the default setting on CAF in manage galleries. So it seems kind of ambiguous, this NFS ...B/c to some it means 'make me a crazy offer so I can make a ton of money' and others 'It's really not for sale...at this time' and others 'hmmm, maybe I can get enough to buy that sweet piece...' or 'You need to wow me b/c I love this piece and I think you need to double the price I paid 8 months ago' and many, many other meanings. When someone types 'NFS, REALLY' or 'NFS I MEAN IT', well I think we all know what to do, there is no question...( wait a few years :baiting: )

Perhaps, but telling someone, who is most likely new and uneducated in the hobby to "make a knock my socks off offer" is even more vague and ambiguous than NFS could ever be.

I wouldn't get mad if a novice, for whatever reason offered something on a NFS piece that wasn't all that close to spectacular. (If a dealer did though, I'd tell others and call him a bad name or something no big deal, some of the OA dealers are such #$%&ers). Now there is a for sale section, but I state almost anything is up for sale/trade...you never, ever, know. Anyway, there are tons of clueless people out there who are beginning, may not know what all you guys know etc., give them a break, they don't know what they're doing...yet. Let's not come across as condescending snobs so much.

THANK you! :foryou:

I couldn't agree more. There is no need to hide such information from a buyer you are leading on (which telling them "make an offer" for a piece marked NFS most assuredly is). Doing so only helps them to gain valuable knowledge and will prevent them from making lowball offers to begin with. But if you are simply of the kind who can't be bothered with such, simply say "sorry, it's not for sale" and leave it at that. There's no wasted time, lowball offers, or hurt egos.

I also agree that dealers are to be held to a different standard, as they are most likely not a noephyte collector and should have some understanding of market values and the like.

I too, am anti-'make offer'...I guess it's ok if you are a dealer type trying to make cash...but I asked my brother, and he agrees...and to us, there is something 'not right' about it, there is some toying there...in our humble opinion...(there are exceptions though, ioho, but were are speaking in general)...

No, it's not okay for dealers to play that kind of game, anymore than it is for a personal collector on CAF. Dealers who do such things are generally frowned upon and with very good reason.

Hate to sound cliche', people, but your mom was right: Honesty is the best policy. :)

One very positive thing that has happened with me when inquiring about a page someone has is the owner has declined, but has also been open with me on what the approximate price they paid was and where they thought a similar item would fall price wise. This has been just plan great since it is so hard to gauge art prices if you are not familiar with the pricing and can't find any equivalent sales data.

To those people who have helped educate me, a sincere THANKS!

And that, my friends, is how you help newbie collectors to not keep throwing lowball offers. (thumbs u

Glad to hear that you've gotten some good information from experienced collectors. :)

If I don't wish to sell and you want to buy, you must make an offer that makes me consider changing my position

anything else is hogwash

If you don't wish to sell, then DON'T. It's real easy.

If you want to open the "offers gate," then be prepared to give that potential buyer the info they need to make a proper one. Otherwise, if you are lowballed, it's no one fault but your own. Period!

Anything else is hogwash.

Hi James,

I think the problem with what you're saying is the reality that almost everything that is NFS really does have the potential to leave the collection. In other words, almost everything does still have a price that'll make the owner scratch their head and feel they'd be crazy to pass on the offer. Thus, for an owner to tell a person "NFS for ANY price" is rare in practical terms.

I do have pieces that are NFS at ANY price (because of sentimental or strong nostalgiac attachment, and because my income keeps my collection still just a hobby), but crazy offers will make me change my mind on some pieces, especiallly the ones I have similar/duplicate pieces of.

Here's my advice for you. If you see something you want that's NFS, try to figure out the market. You may even strike up a conversation with the seller first, asking about what the market is like for those types of pieces. Most collectors are nice and will email back and educate. Then, you can certainly (at the end) let him/her know that you'd be interested in a particular piece. Of course, by then, you may realize that you're out of the ballpark and can't afford it. But even this is fine, as you've learned the market and have not made an insulting or low-ball offer.

Happy hunting,

Hari