• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NFS

174 posts in this topic

Hoping to buy a new scanner, perhaps the one Chris Caira recommended a while back, and then scan everything again. Lost a bunch of scanned images when my hard drive crashed earlier this year, so will have to start more or less from scratch with the scanning. That's been part of the problem.

I feel your pain, Hari. I had a hd crash recently as well. :cry: I'm quite thankful I had as many scans up on CAF as I did already...it would be a total pain to have to do them all over again.

For what it's worth, you may be able to grab some pics via the Wayback Machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050204232509/nighthawkcomics.com/art.html

I was able to retrieve some of mine via an old CAF listing.

I miss your old website, btw. It was a real inspiration to me when I started collecting several years ago. Lean, mean with great examples. And, yet, at the same time, not as impossibly daunting as a Dave Mandel or Eric Roberts collection. Just right! (thumbs u

Wow. Some amazing stuff in there.

Later.

-Will

Hoping to buy a new scanner, perhaps the one Chris Caira recommended a while back, and then scan everything again. Lost a bunch of scanned images when my hard drive crashed earlier this year, so will have to start more or less from scratch with the scanning. That's been part of the problem.

I feel your pain, Hari. I had a hd crash recently as well. :cry: I'm quite thankful I had as many scans up on CAF as I did already...it would be a total pain to have to do them all over again.

For what it's worth, you may be able to grab some pics via the Wayback Machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050204232509/nighthawkcomics.com/art.html

I was able to retrieve some of mine via an old CAF listing.

I miss your old website, btw. It was a real inspiration to me when I started collecting several years ago. Lean, mean with great examples. And, yet, at the same time, not as impossibly daunting as a Dave Mandel or Eric Roberts collection. Just right! (thumbs u

Hi Felix!

That's very helpful, thanks! That gets me a good chuck of them back, although I'll probably still get a new scanner and do them all high quality and dpi.

Thanks for the compliments on the collection as well!

Hari

Interesting reading this thread.

Now let's put it to action. I've got many pieces in my CAF listed 'NFS' by a wide variety of artists. For all the bluster that goes on with board members, take a look, see if there's something that you're interested in, and feel free to make an offer.

Let's see if the offers come close to fair market value. Here's the link to my CAF:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=147

Well, folks, I have to say I was very surprised by the number of inquiries, offers (cash and trade) and human sacrifices thrown my way in such a short time.

I have been overwhelmed by the number of people interested in items from my CAF, and I can honestly report that everyone that contacted me made very strong offers.

So much so that I accepted some of them (no human sacrifices) and let me say the Keown vault is now closed.

A big thank you to everyone that made an offer and re-established that the sincerity of their collecting pursuits is backed up by more than just bluster. (thumbs u

Interesting reading this thread.

Now let's put it to action. I've got many pieces in my CAF listed 'NFS' by a wide variety of artists. For all the bluster that goes on with board members, take a look, see if there's something that you're interested in, and feel free to make an offer.

Let's see if the offers come close to fair market value. Here's the link to my CAF:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=147

Well, folks, I have to say I was very surprised by the number of inquiries, offers (cash and trade) and human sacrifices thrown my way in such a short time.

I have been overwhelmed by the number of people interested in items from my CAF, and I can honestly report that everyone that contacted me made very strong offers.

So much so that I accepted some of them (no human sacrifices) and let me say the Keown vault is now closed.

A big thank you to everyone that made an offer and re-established that the sincerity of their collecting pursuits is backed up by more than just bluster. (thumbs u

Well, my favorite piece in your gallery is still there (for now)

One day I'll come with a strong offer :blahblah: (no human sacrifices, you say? hm )

I love it when someone see's a NFS on your page then emails and says "if you decide to get rid of this piece please let me know". When they really mean " if you decide to give this piece away let me know." I had somebody send me the let me know message a few months ago so when I decided that the piece doesn't fit my collecting anymore I let him know. Then I tell him the price of the framed piece only to get a message back saying he only wanted the art and not the frame so could I drop the price? I was flabbergasted. Anyone else get clowns like this asking?

I love it when someone see's a NFS on your page then emails and says "if you decide to get rid of this piece please let me know". When they really mean " if you decide to give this piece away let me know." I had somebody send me the let me know message a few months ago so when I decided that the piece doesn't fit my collecting anymore I let him know. Then I tell him the price of the framed piece only to get a message back saying he only wanted the art and not the frame so could I drop the price? I was flabbergasted. Anyone else get clowns like this asking?

I can see how that is annoying.

However, I have had people offer me a piece of art and proceed to tell me it was a $500 framing job and it was going to cost an extra $80 to ship it framed. That's usually when I politely mention 1) I am buying the artwork for the artwork and not the frame, 2) my offer did not take the frame into account, and 3) they were free to keep the frame because I would rather have a piece of art sent unframed rather than behind a piece of glass that could easily shatter in shipment and slice through the artwork.

But I agree, 90% of the time, nothing comes of people who give the "Let me know when you want to sell" comment.

Best,

Chris

However, I have had people offer me a piece of art and proceed to tell me it was a $500 framing job and it was going to cost an extra $80 to ship it framed. That's usually when I politely mention 1) I am buying the artwork for the artwork and not the frame, 2) my offer did not take the frame into account, and 3) they were free to keep the frame because I would rather have a piece of art sent unframed rather than behind a piece of glass that could easily shatter in shipment and slice through the artwork.

But I agree, 90% of the time, nothing comes of people who give the "Let me know when you want to sell" comment.

Best,

Chris

I have to agree with the framing. 9 times out of 10 I'm not going to even want to keep a piece in a frame that some else picked out, so why pay more for something I don't really want.

Best,

Chris

I have to agree with the framing. 9 times out of 10 I'm not going to even want to keep a piece in a frame that some else picked out, so why pay more for something I don't really want.

...and just wait for that feeling of horror when you buy a piece that is already framed and you get the package and hear the glorious rattling of a thousand shards of glass bouncing around next to a $5,000 piece of paper.... :eek:

The first mistake here would be anyone buying a frame with glass, which should never happen. Plexiglass is definitely the way to go, for this very reason (the piece could also fall off a wall at some point resulting in shattering of the glass).

The first mistake here would be anyone buying a frame with glass, which should never happen.

It's unavoidable sometimes. I once bought from an estate auction house two 50's Peanuts dailies and an early 60's Sunday. They had been framed in the 60's and I specifically asked for them to be taken out of the frames before shipping. They didn't. I received three wooden crates, one for each frame. Total shipping cost through third party shipper was $280.

I've received framed items from Heritage, Weiss, Cochran, almost every auction house that's been around for a while. The shipping cost is higher and the risk is always there but luckily so far I haven't had any problems. Auction houses just don't want to take the risk of removing the piece from the frames themselves and they want you to receive the piece exactly as pictured to prevent disgruntled buyers.

That's my best guess, who knows why auction houses do what they do.

I always ask to have the piece out of it's frame. I don't ask for a lowering of the price, but I do prefer it unframed. The two pieces I have where the person refused (for fear of damaging the piece themselves perhaps) I had the piece picked up for me so that it was never on an airplane.