• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NFS

174 posts in this topic

Hello, I am a relatively new collector and since I don’t have a CAF gallery yet, I didn’t feel I had anything to contribute to this subject. But as a new collector who just recently almost made an offer on a NFS piece perhaps I can offer another perspective.

If, after contacting the owner, he was willing to entertain offers I planned to make an offer based on the following. I would try to determine the FMV of the piece by checking past results from Heritage and current prices by various dealers for comparable pieces. I was going to cite these examples as well as my thought process of how I determined what I thought the FMV was and intended to make an offer which included a premium (in this case I was going to go with a 30% premium). I was also going to state that I wasn’t sure of the true FMV and that if the offer was low, that I apologize in advance.

It turned out that I did not have the funds to make my offer so it has been put on hold for the time being. At no time did I feel that the owner should provide any information to me including anything pertaining to his price expectations. In fact, since the item was marked NFS, I would not be offended if I received no reply at all.

The key thing for me is that I was approaching him on a piece he gave no impression of trying to sell so I do not feel he is required to do anything. Would I like him to give me information or a price range? Sure, but as I said, I am approaching him so I would not expect it, nor would I feel like he is playing games with me if he didn’t.

Just my personal opinion.

Regards,

Darren

another intelligent and erudite post

Let's pretend for a minute that these were the days before the internet. Or even that there are collectors interacting who don't display their art on CAF.

In real life, there aren't any imaginary descriptors placed on art. Sometimes the art is found in a binder or framed on the wall in the owners home, or up at a gallery show. Very very rarely is anything a collector owns or displays labeled "not for sale". Because the truth is that in this world, we live life without labels. Is EVERYTHING for sale in our life? Maybe if this were Indecent Proposal the answer would be yes, but as James has said, some things are not. Realistically however, most things really are, especially if the conversation to acquire them is civil and respectful with both parties genuinely discussing their interests in the matter. (not just their positions, like "i want you to sell this to me")

James, you have claimed that some of your art is absolutely not for sale at any price, but would some of those pieces be available for trade for something you really wanted more? And if a very respectful collector engaged you in conversation about them and then made an offer that would really change your way of life, and you knew the collector had a genuine and real reason to want the art, would you give some thought to selling? I suspect there has to at least be a possibility. Now I know at that point you decided you'd sell, you'd quote them a price. For others, you might imagine that what they paid 20 years ago might not be germane to the current market price, and the piece truly is near and dear to them. Psychologically, they really may need to hear a number that convinces them it's worth selling.

So rather than entrenching in positions in this thread, to me it seems the truth is more elusive. If Bill removed that status line from CAF, I suspect most people would not bother to type "NFS" into the description box of the art, unless they truly truly wanted to convey that the piece was near and dear to them and not for sale. For the bulk of us however, it is just the default setting, and the fact that it's displayed on CAF and not locked away in a vault at least partially means the piece is available in some way, shape, or form or possibly at some point in the future.

J

Hello, I am a relatively new collector and since I don’t have a CAF gallery yet, I didn’t feel I had anything to contribute to this subject. But as a new collector who just recently almost made an offer on a NFS piece perhaps I can offer another perspective.

If, after contacting the owner, he was willing to entertain offers I planned to make an offer based on the following. I would try to determine the FMV of the piece by checking past results from Heritage and current prices by various dealers for comparable pieces. I was going to cite these examples as well as my thought process of how I determined what I thought the FMV was and intended to make an offer which included a premium (in this case I was going to go with a 30% premium). I was also going to state that I wasn’t sure of the true FMV and that if the offer was low, that I apologize in advance.

It turned out that I did not have the funds to make my offer so it has been put on hold for the time being. At no time did I feel that the owner should provide any information to me including anything pertaining to his price expectations. In fact, since the item was marked NFS, I would not be offended if I received no reply at all.

The key thing for me is that I was approaching him on a piece he gave no impression of trying to sell so I do not feel he is required to do anything. Would I like him to give me information or a price range? Sure, but as I said, I am approaching him so I would not expect it, nor would I feel like he is playing games with me if he didn’t.

Regards,

Darren

Darren, a well thought out post. Welcome to the hobby, and best of luck with all of your future collecting goals. Something tells me you'll have great success.

Scott Williams

I guess I would add, specific to the onus being on the seller of a NFS piece of art to set the price, the following. Let's say you buy a piece of art for $500 two weeks ago, and post it, marked NFS. The piece means a lot to you, but as discussed, for the right price it would be for sale. Here's your thinking on the piece, based on potential offers you might receive:

$500 - No way, I like the piece too much and just bought it.

$1000 - It's a fair offer, but the truth is I'd rather keep this art than have another $1000. I can't replace this piece for $1000.

$1500 - Ditto

$2000 - Alright I have to think about it for a week or two. It's pretty stupid to not sell for 4X the purchase price right? (let's say there's a 50/50 chance at this point that you sell)

$2500 - Wow, you really want this. Give me a few days to see if there's anything else I want to buy I would like as much for this price. (75/25 chance right now and your girlfriend is telling you how much she likes the piece and how she hopes you don't sell it)

$4000 - Alright alright I'll sell it for sure, right now. Send me the Paypal! (100% chance of sale and you ignore your girlfriend)

So my question to you, James, is what price should the owner quote here on the NFS piece? If it would take $4K (8X the purchase price!!) to completely convince you, but only $2.5K-$4K to get you to 75%-99% what is the price to quote? I think this is what's difficult for people. If someone makes you their best offer, it gives you something concrete to think about and then decide on. You might say "just tell them it's not for sale" but as you can see in the decision model above, it really is if you take the time to think it through...

J

I guess I would add, specific to the onus being on the seller of a NFS piece of art to set the price, the following. Let's say you buy a piece of art for $500 two weeks ago, and post it, marked NFS. The piece means a lot to you, but as discussed, for the right price it would be for sale. Here's your thinking on the piece, based on potential offers you might receive:

$1000 - It's a fair offer, but the truth is I'd rather keep this art than have another $1000. I can't replace this piece for $1000.

$1500 - Ditto

$2000 - Alright I have to think about it for a week or two. It's pretty stupid to not sell for 4X the purchase price right? (let's say there's a 50/50 chance at this point that you sell)

$2500 - Wow, you really want this. Give me a few days to see if there's anything else I want to buy I would like as much for this price. (75/25 chance right now and your girlfriend is telling you how much she likes the piece and how she hopes you don't sell it)

$4000 - Alright alright I'll sell it for sure, right now. Send me the Paypal! (100% chance of sale and you ignore your girlfriend)

So my question to you, James, is what price should the owner quote here on the NFS piece? If it would take $4K (8X the purchase price!!) to completely convince you, but only $2.5K-$4K to get you to 75%-99% what is the price to quote? I think this is what's difficult for people. If someone makes you their best offer, it gives you something concrete to think about and then decide on. You might say "just tell them it's not for sale" but as you can see in the decision model above, it really is if you take the time to think it through...

J

Jonathan:

The above model only makes my point. If it would take $4k (or 8x FMV) for you to part with the piece (with a 100% certainty), then it is really not for sale, as what you are expecting is highly unreasonable (almost no one would pay that much above market value). So, for all intents and purposes, it is not for sale. If you have to quote a price that you (and most likely the potential buyer) will know is simply outrageous, it truly says you don't really want to sell. And you should be honest with the potential buyer on that.

Now, if, by some "once-in-a-blue-moon" fluke, the buyer just offers up that amount right at the start, well, then it doesn't really matter. They've met your price without even trying (or so it would seem). But they are the one who has decided to throw out the "crazy money offer," not you putting such an expectation on them to meet it. Of course, this rarely ever happens, and most collectors know that. To expect it to happen would almost be just as much monumental hubris, as a buyer expecting to get a NFS piece at market value or less.

You say someone giving their best offer gives the owner something concrete, but look what happens when that "best" falls way short, due most likely to the buyer being less than experienced (and this doesn't factor in the current state of most folks economic situation, like we have today), as well as the owner giving no indication of what is expected from the buyer: Lowball offers, that are publicly complained about, if not outright ridiculed.

If this is such a hardship (or annoyance) for owners, there is an easy way to correct it. The very thing I've been outlining all this time. It would do away with almost all lowball offers and save a lot of wasted time for both parties, with no one feeling offended or misled.

Once an owner wants to cross into the possibility of a sale for a NFS item, they should know what they want for that NFS item. And if what they want is obviously and completely unreasonable, they should know they really don't want to sell it. And unless the buyer has made such a "crazy money offer" on their own, they should also be smart enough to know it is extremely unlikely (or nigh-impossible) the buyer will EVER meet such a price. Thus, to save anyone from feeling insutled (by lowball offers) or misled (in thinking they'd get the piece for something even slightly passing for reasonable), you say, "sorry, the piece is not for sale." All the wasted time and offended feelings are spared both parties and everyone can continue on with the joy of the hobby.

The "thinking through" should be done, before the owner of a NFS item blindly opens the gates to "make me an offer." If they don't know the buyer, know what they want to part with the item is unreasonable, and know that to expect the buyer to pay it is extremely improbable (if not impossible), then the answer is a simple one: "Sorry, the piece is not for sale. Thanks, anayway."

Not doing so, because you are holding out some irrational hope for a "crazy money offer" is silly and is truly what is the biggest waste of time.

Darren, a well thought out post. Welcome to the hobby, and best of luck with all of your future collecting goals. Something tells me you'll have great success.

Scott Williams

Scott,

Thank you very much for your comments. I’ve been collecting comics off and on since I was a kid and to own actual pages from some of those issues have been nothing less than thrilling. Collecting OA is a great hobby. The only downside is the effort in exhibiting self control when acquiring pieces! Thanks again!

Kind regards,

Darren

Regards,

Darren

This is exactly how I believe these should be handled on the end of the one making the offer. Of course there will be people who do not follow such a respectful manner, but the same is true on the flipside.

A person who owns a CAF gallery with items NFS should not feel the need to divulge the exact amount that will get them to part with it. But again, they should be respectful and professional to offers that do come in.

I have one piece that is truly NFS under any circumstances. Every other piece in my CAF Gallery is also NFS. As I use the CAF as a showcase for my personal art collection and a way to get to know other collectors. But I'd be stupid to not entertain an offer for many reasons. Prime among them is finding another collector who shares my interests and tastes.

Some of the best, most informative connections I've made in this hobby are from people who I've asked after pages they had NFS.

Again, as I've always said and felt. This is a great hobby with a generally great community. A couple bad apples on both sides of the spectrum won't ruin it for me. I just move on...

Brian

I'm curious how most of these NFS transactions begin. I'm still a new collector, but I have received maybe 10 or so inquiries about my NFS pieces. Every single one asked if I would be willing to sell, but not one offered a price. And, none asked if I would entertain an offer. So my response is always a thanks, but no thanks. A few respond with a request to keep them in mind in the future.

I've never received an offer or offer of an offer. If they really wanted the piece, why no offer? Is it because I reply NFS and leave it at that? (No regrets, just curious how you guys end up in the situation being discussed as it is so easy to avoid. Based on my limited experience.)

Hi James,

I think we're going to have to, as they say, "agree to disagree." I will point out, and I think you should really give it some consideration, that pretty much it's 100:1 on this topic. I don't very many people agreeing with your point of view, whether they are on the soliciting or selling end of this debate. That should be cause for you to at least consider that perhaps you are not seeing this the way most people in this hobby would see it.

I do applaud you for continuing to debate it, and I applaud everyone else for trying to convince you, but I think we've pretty much beat this to death at this point.

Best,

Hari

I'm curious how most of these NFS transactions begin. I'm still a new collector, but I have received maybe 10 or so inquiries about my NFS pieces. Every single one asked if I would be willing to sell, but not one offered a price. And, none asked if I would entertain an offer. So my response is always a thanks, but no thanks. A few respond with a request to keep them in mind in the future.

I've never received an offer or offer of an offer. If they really wanted the piece, why no offer? Is it because I reply NFS and leave it at that? (No regrets, just curious how you guys end up in the situation being discussed as it is so easy to avoid. Based on my limited experience.)

Probably because most of those inquiries were wondering whether you would sell at strictly FMV, i.e. is it really for sale (hoping to catch you at a moment you need cash, for example). Once they realized you are not really interested in selling, and that it would take something higher than FMV (be it 10%, 20% or more), then they moved on. I don't know the pieces in question, but it's also possible that they are asking everyone with similar pieces, and are focusing on the ones who are opening the door to a FMV purchase. Just my initial thoughts.

Hari

A few respond with a request to keep them in mind in the future.

I get a lot of those emails as well and don't really know what are the expectations here. Am I obligated to contact these folks prior to trading the page? If they see the page auctioned in Heritage without first being offered the piece, will they feel slighted?

I have no idea if these guys are serious buyers or not, so I have interpreted the "keep them in mind" emails like this: When I decide to sell my NFS page, then I will contact these guys, if I remember to do so. And if I forget or lost their emails, then no big deal.

Not sure if I am obligated to do more.

It could be that, but I'd have to say it's probably because the person asking in inexperienced in the marketplace and doesn't know how much to offer up, which would be fair to you and them. Either that, or they fear that their offer won't be close to what you would actually want for the piece, thereby resulting in a lowball offer, which makes them look bad and become possible fuel for public humiliation (if you were to make a public complaint about it).

If it is an experienced collector, they might be feeling YOU out, to see if you lack enough market value knowledge, that they can get the piece for a fraction of it's worth. After all, why give you any idea what it's worth, if you have no idea anyway? You might sell it for a song.

Anyway, those are just my theories. The truth is, the reasons for it are pretty much legion. :)

A few respond with a request to keep them in mind in the future.

I get a lot of those emails as well and don't really know what are the expectations here. Am I obligated to contact these folks prior to trading the page? If they see the page auctioned in Heritage without first being offered the piece, will they feel slighted?

I have no idea if these guys are serious buyers or not, so I have interpreted the "keep them in mind" emails like this: When I decide to sell my NFS page, then I will contact these guys, if I remember to do so. And if I forget or lost their emails, then no big deal.

Not sure if I am obligated to do more.

You aren't. "Keep me in mind" is only really valid, if you have a way of giving that person an easy way to contact you, when/if the piece goes up for sale. Like in a comment of the piece listed at CAF. You can use that comment, to contact them when you do go to sell (and it helped me get one of my favorite pieces, so I know it works).

Otherwise, it's a shoot, as if you don't plan to sell for a long time, their request could be lost to time and the ether of the Internet.

When it comes to Iron Man covers, you should always read the comments, then work out a deal with someone that wishes they had tried harder to acquire the piece when it was available through the HA auction. :grin:

All right. This argument might have outlived its useful life, so I'd like to provide a scenario that occurred with me about the original topic. At the time I didn't feel like I'd done anything unreasonable, but I'll let you guys be the judge.

Earlier this year, I sent an e-mail to someone from their CAF gallery. The text is below:

Hey, I've been meaning to contact you for a while to let you know I really like the ****** collection you're putting together. I've been focusing my collection toward ****** for a while and it's nice to find other people who appreciate its art like I do. Of course, it goes without saying that if you ever decide to sell any pieces, I'll be interested, but I know right now you're still building the collection. I'll be keeping an eye on your gallery... take care!

To this e-mail I received a reply that some of the pieces were available immediately, which were basically simple panel pages (definitely the lowest quality of the pages in his collection, which did include some other very nice pages), if I'd like to make an offer. I knew the owner had purchased the pieces very recently, the exact amount that had been paid, and that there was no way they had gained any kind of value in the interim.

I proceeded to offer the same amount that they had originally been sold for, to which I received a somewhat annoyed reply that stated: "I have never heard of a guy asking to buy stuff and not offer a premium".

Now, my question... did I do something wrong here? My original e-mail was not one stating that I wanted particular pieces right now, just a general feeler to keep me in mind into the future. The pages offered were the worst of the group that I had asked about, and it would be arguable whether or not they were actually worth what he'd originally paid. Surely there must be some situations where the "premium" rule doesn't apply for a generic piece that is anything but premium... or are there?

Hi James,

I think we're going to have to, as they say, "agree to disagree." I will point out, and I think you should really give it some consideration, that pretty much it's 100:1 on this topic. I don't very many people agreeing with your point of view, whether they are on the soliciting or selling end of this debate. That should be cause for you to at least consider that perhaps you are not seeing this the way most people in this hobby would see it.

Hi Hari, :)

I'm perfectly fine with "agree to disagree." That's what I did with Scott Williams and it's all good with me.

I appreciate what you are saying, but let me give you a little something to think on: While it is true that not many have taken my side of the issue, historically "popular wisdom" has often been shown to be very faulty. At one time you'd have had a 100:1 outcome on the benefits of cocaine vs. those who thought it dangerous. But as time has shown, those "1" folks were very much correct. People might not see things my way now, but that can change. As the old adage goes, "in a world where ANYTHING goes, everything WILL." Don't be surprised if someday that 100:1 you see now is a lot closer to 50:50. ;)

I do applaud you for continuing to debate it, and I applaud everyone else for trying to convince you, but I think we've pretty much beat this to death at this point.

Best,

Hari

Thank you. And I appauld you and the few others who managed to keep things civil and intelligent, without insulting or laughing at me, just because you didn't agree. I still feel that the friendly and helpful collectors are the exception in this hobby, rather than the rule, but I'm glad those exceptions exist. (thumbs u

Now, my question... did I do something wrong here? My original e-mail was not one stating that I wanted particular pieces right now, just a general feeler to keep me in mind into the future. The pages offered were the worst of the group that I had asked about, and it would be arguable whether or not they were actually worth what he'd originally paid. Surely there must be some situations where the "premium" rule doesn't apply for a generic piece that is anything but premium... or are there?

You did nothing wrong. The owner of said pages was being a jerk in that reply. You have nothing to feel ashamed of, or feel at fault for. (thumbs u

It could be that, but I'd have to say it's probably because the person asking in inexperienced in the marketplace and doesn't know how much to offer up, which would be fair to you and them. Either that, or they fear that their offer won't be close to what you would actually want for the piece, thereby resulting in a lowball offer, which makes them look bad and become possible fuel for public humiliation (if you were to make a public complaint about it).

If it is an experienced collector, they might be feeling YOU out, to see if you lack enough market value knowledge, that they can get the piece for a fraction of it's worth. After all, why give you any idea what it's worth, if you have no idea anyway? You might sell it for a song.

Anyway, those are just my theories. The truth is, the reasons for it are pretty much legion. :)

James,

I do not disagree with you that those are valid possible reasons why the OP never received offer. I just think that jumping immediately to what can seem negative reactions is not healthy to the community.

Perhaps the people sending the OP emails were content with a "Sorry, this really is NFS" email and moved on. They didn't need the OP to tell them, "Well, it's NFS. But if you offer me exactly $X, which is what I'd be willing to part with it for, we have a deal!"

Not every email regarding a page marked NFS has to be an aggressive attempt to pry something loose from a collection.

Nor in any way does NFS = "Please Inquire". If anything it is the opposite. Does that mean one shouldn't make an inquiry? Well that is a subjective matter. There are no solid facts to state. No hard and fast rules.

Yes, the reasons are "legion" as you say. I guess I prefer to think the community takes a more positive bent.

Brian

$1500 - Ditto

J

Jonathan:

The above model only makes my point. If it would take $4k (or 8x FMV) for you to part with the piece (with a 100% certainty), then it is really not for sale, as what you are expecting is highly unreasonable (almost no one would pay that much above market value). So, for all intents and purposes, it is not for sale. If you have to quote a price that you (and most likely the potential buyer) will know is simply outrageous, it truly says you don't really want to sell. And you should be honest with the potential buyer on that.

Now, if, by some "once-in-a-blue-moon" fluke, the buyer just offers up that amount right at the start, well, then it doesn't really matter. They've met your price without even trying (or so it would seem). But they are the one who has decided to throw out the "crazy money offer," not you putting such an expectation on them to meet it. Of course, this rarely ever happens, and most collectors know that. To expect it to happen would almost be just as much monumental hubris, as a buyer expecting to get a NFS piece at market value or less.

You say someone giving their best offer gives the owner something concrete, but look what happens when that "best" falls way short, due most likely to the buyer being less than experienced (and this doesn't factor in the current state of most folks economic situation, like we have today), as well as the owner giving no indication of what is expected from the buyer: Lowball offers, that are publicly complained about, if not outright ridiculed.

If this is such a hardship (or annoyance) for owners, there is an easy way to correct it. The very thing I've been outlining all this time. It would do away with almost all lowball offers and save a lot of wasted time for both parties, with no one feeling offended or misled.

Once an owner wants to cross into the possibility of a sale for a NFS item, they should know what they want for that NFS item. And if what they want is obviously and completely unreasonable, they should know they really don't want to sell it. And unless the buyer has made such a "crazy money offer" on their own, they should also be smart enough to know it is extremely unlikely (or nigh-impossible) the buyer will EVER meet such a price. Thus, to save anyone from feeling insutled (by lowball offers) or misled (in thinking they'd get the piece for something even slightly passing for reasonable), you say, "sorry, the piece is not for sale." All the wasted time and offended feelings are spared both parties and everyone can continue on with the joy of the hobby.

The "thinking through" should be done, before the owner of a NFS item blindly opens the gates to "make me an offer." If they don't know the buyer, know what they want to part with the item is unreasonable, and know that to expect the buyer to pay it is extremely improbable (if not impossible), then the answer is a simple one: "Sorry, the piece is not for sale. Thanks, anayway."

Not doing so, because you are holding out some irrational hope for a "crazy money offer" is silly and is truly what is the biggest waste of time.

I won't belabor the point, but as you can see from the above, the prospective buyer has a 50/50 chance of obtaining the piece at $2K and while paying 4X the recent purchase price may seem like a "blue moon" event, I personally don't think that it is, especially when someone with means really wants something. One thing I've seen in my short time in this hobby is that completely unreasonable prices happen all the time, and everything is relative. I've been on both sides at least once in just 4 years. If you scale down my example, would I pay $600 for a page I knew someone paid $150 for recently? Absolutely, if I wanted the page badly enough. And it was a page I fully knew the market value of. Likewise I recall buying a couple of panel pages for $140 each that I sold for over 7X the value of just a couple years later. And not to a new collector either but someone who really just wanted to pry them away from me and that's what it took.

I freely admit I don't play in the big boy sandbox, but I think life is different up in the clouds. I think we'd all be amazed at some of the deals that get done that you would consider "blue moon events"...If, suddenly, you realized those events were more likely to occur than you're giving them credit for, it would change the dynamic of your argument significantly.

J