• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ok, I've held back long enough, RANT ON !!!! UK Forumites comments appreciated.

21 posts in this topic

HELLBLAZER IS AN ENGLISH/ BRITISH/ AT THE VERY LEAST EUROPEAN COMIC BOOK

And who do those 893censored-thumb.gif geniuses find to play Mr. Constantine - none other than Keanu Frickin Reeves

- The nuances of the book - IE it for the most 99% takes place in London.

- The language - Sod, Bullocks, 'Innit, Bleedin', wanker, [!@#%^&^], etc etc is all English/Scotish, Irish/ in origin.

- Hes got 893censored-thumb.gif blonde hair and blue eyes.

- JC is a scruffy looking anti-hero, not a pasty faced insufficiently_thoughtful_person !!!!!!

- How did DC let alone Vertigo, ever let this happen.

- Hellblazer was created and for the most part written by UK writers. Man I guess they know how Anne Rice felt over Tom Cruise as Lestat.

Lastly, can anyone say SEAN BEAN Its a NO brainer, I dunno which studio is claiming idiocy over the casting but aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Sorry foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif893censored-thumb.gif10_1_117.gif

10_1_131.gif

Its like getting Gerard Depardieu to play Captain America........ makepoint.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

i was initially in agreement with you only because i consider keanu to be the stiffest freakin' actor on the planet!! (and please no silly comments from the gallery on my choice of words here...)

BUT, it REALLY hit home after the hilarious "it's like getting GERARD DEPARDIEU to play captain america".......thanks for the laugh......... grin.gif

And who do those 893censored-thumb.gif geniuses find to play Mr. Constantine - none other than Keanu Frickin Reeves

All that is changed for the movie. Constantine is now an American Magus in LA.

Nothing even remotely European evidently...

All that is changed for the movie. Constantine is now an American Magus in LA.

Nothing even remotely European evidently...

Ugh, Even worse - looks like the total sell out on this one. 893frustrated.gif

I've ranted before about this, but never at the top of a thread. Excellent words, all the same. To be honest Hollywood have rarely if ever done any justice to comic characters, or the medium in general at least as far as I'm concerned. The only time they do get it right is when they "borrow" elements from them, e.g. The Matrix.

Obviously I have to throw my 2 cents in, and they are: when I heard that Keanu got the Constantine gig, I basically rolled my eyes, muttered "typical" under my breath, and then wrote off any chance of Hollywood treating this cinematic shoo-in (or any other shoo-in) with even a hint of respect or intelligence.

You're right about one thing - there hasn't been enough rage, or anger, or bile at this idiotic, brainless bit of casting from the Land of Brit.

As I said before in another thread, the only way the casting could've been worse is if Meg Ryan had been chosen, or perhaps Michael Clark Duncan. I mean, did you see his gormless, slack-jawed performance in My Own Private Idaho?? He can scarcely emote in any dialect, let alone one that is totally alien to him.

Sean Bean would be a half-decent choice, although he isn't a scouser. Guy Pearce at least looks the part. Robert Carlyle? Ewan Mcgregor? Jonny Lee Miller? Jude Law, even??

ANYONE WITH A PULSE IN FACT, except, as you said, KEA - TWATTY -NU.

God Bless.

It's like hearing that Tom Cruise might look to play the role of Iron Man. Makes my skin crawl.

The only superhero role they should consider Keanu for is Plastic Man. He'd be perfect.

Toby McGuire made the perfect Peter Parker/Spider-Man. They nailed that. And the X-men movies were chock full of great casting jobs. Other than that........eh. Oh, Electra and Bullseye in Daredevil were pretty good too.

Best bit of casting in a superhero flick - Nicholson as the Joker. Not great, but moderately inspired.

I loved Christopher Reeve in Superman. Great casting of an unknown who fit the part perfectly. And Lynda Carter in the Wonder Woman TV show was good casting. She really looked the part.

Have to admit I didn't like Toby Maguire in Spider-Man.

It's like hearing that Tom Cruise might look to play the role of Iron Man. Makes my skin crawl.

The only superhero role they should consider Keanu for is Plastic Man. He'd be perfect.

Toby McGuire made the perfect Peter Parker/Spider-Man. They nailed that. And the X-men movies were chock full of great casting jobs. Other than that........eh. Oh, Electra and Bullseye in Daredevil were pretty good too.

Ohh no you don’t!!! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Don’t give them insufficiently_thoughtful_persons any bad ideas.

Plastic Man would be played by Bruce Campbell!

(let me dream)

Oh BOY!!! Keanau did such a great job with an english accent in 'Bram Stokers Dracula' that I suppose they just had to have him back.

I love Sean Bean , became a fan of his around 97-98 watching the 'Sharpe's' series on masterpiece theatre here in America...

[

I loved Christopher Reeve in Superman. Great casting of an unknown who fit the part perfectly. And Lynda Carter in the Wonder Woman TV show was good casting. She really looked the part.

Can't argue with those picks - both WERE their characters, for most people. And both definitely looked the part.

Likewise I reckon Hellblazer should be played by an unknown who would have the opportunity to make the part his own, but Hollyweird would never go for it.

In the meantime, would any other Brit care to voice his disapproval re K.R. as Constantine? Anyone? Come on, he's a national treasure.

I bet when they do the Hellblazer movie, they won't have any Pogues on the soundtrack, either, which would be a travesty.

they won't have any Pogues on the soundtrack, either

You're right about that. We'll get a Linkin Park / Ludacris collaboration instead. tonofbricks.gif

Chris

That would be hideous. That AOR soundtrack that Spider-Man had almost ruined the film for me even more than the tacked on romantic sludge.