• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to make the hobby FUN again !

81 posts in this topic

As some of you know, I have become quite discouraged by the hobby in the past years. I have moved over to buying Original Art, but that has its challenges as well. Recently I started think "what would make comics fun for me?". Here is what I came up with. I read comics from a very very young age, but I really got serious about it in 1976. What a great time to be buying comics! Here is what I have decided to do.

Buy every Marvel comic that came out in 1976. Now I still have a lot of what I bought back then, but I grew up in a small farming community in Indiana and the onl place to buy comics was Osgood, IN about 18 miles away so I onl bought stuff when my mom would drive me over to the drugstore in Osgood. Most of the time, my favorite titles we sold out but I always picked up something. Becuase of this, my stuff from then is pretty spotty.

Here are my constraints

1. Only buy Marvel (that was my focus back then)

2. Only buy raw (I read them back then and plan to again!)

3. Not get too caught up on condition. A nice copy with decent eye appeal is perfect (8.0 or better)

So I have staretd to compile a list of everything that came out during 1976. So far I have a list 360 issues so far, but I expect that list to grow. I actually think this should be fun and somewhat challenging to complete.

Good luck, hope it brings you back some of your original excitement. I'm doing a similar thing with DC 52-pagers.

One tip: don't get discouraged if the books aren't quite as good as you remembered them!

That does sound like fun! Nice project. :cloud9:

I started collecting in the late seventies, and was a big DC fan (got hooked on Marvel in the mid-80s). Most DC books from 1978-1980 were pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel, but I have a deep affection for them. Just seeing that "40c" price box really stirs memories of buying from newsstands as a kid.

Good luck, hope it brings you back some of your original excitement. I'm doing a similar thing with DC 52-pagers.

One tip: don't get discouraged if the books aren't quite as good as you remembered them!

Agreed! stuff you read as a teen will not be as good as you remembered them, This happened to me with yes the 2 holy grails of this hobby, Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen,I loved them as a teen but just read them as a 30 something year old and found them average, not the groundbreaking stuff I thought they were.

Agreed! stuff you read as a teen will not be as good as you remembered them, This happened to me with yes the 2 holy grails of this hobby, Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen,I loved them as a teen but just read them as a 30 something year old and found them average, not the groundbreaking stuff I thought they were.

The exception to the rule for me would be Punisher Limited Series and Killing Joke.

GL! (thumbs u

Very cool, Batman_fan! I have done the same thing, with the same constraints except for the years. My range was from '64 through "69. I still had almost all the books I bought as a kid, so I filled the holes and upgraded issues. A lot of fun, and from my perspective the stories and art held up pretty well over the years.

Have fun, and good luck!!!

I agree with that. The interesting thing, though is the stuff I read as a kid (Barks Ducks, Archie) is actually still great (thumbs u

It's a great idea and one that I have been pondering. I have been wanting to get all of the DC 20 cent covers for the same reason - they're what I bought at 7-11's when I was a kid and began reading comics. It's a shame that Marvel collectors don't have the resource that DC collectors have like Mike's Amazing World of DC. The Time Machine function is incredible!

NOTE: Looks like Mike is working on a Marvel database as well! (worship)

Dude, that's fun. I've started the same thing with 1982 DCs, the first year I really started collecting. So far I've got 164 of the 360 issues from that year, including the little digest books (which cost more than I thought they would).

I'm not even bothering to read them though. To tell you the truth, I don't really like reading comics. They're almost always pretty silly. I know, it's a strange position to take considering how much money I spend on the things.

Dude, that's fun. I've started the same thing with 1982 DCs, the first year I really started collecting. So far I've got 164 of the 360 issues from that year, including the little digest books (which cost more than I thought they would).

I'm not even bothering to read them though. To tell you the truth, I don't really like reading comics. They're almost always pretty silly. I know, it's a strange position to take considering how much money I spend on the things.

Honesty. :cloud9: