• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the most you have overpaid and regretted paying for a slab?

43 posts in this topic

I have way more selling regrets than purchasing regrets, but most of those stem back to my "stupid kid" days (as opposed to my current "stupid old guy" days). Of note, selling a mid-grade copy of ToS 39 for $40 (in my defense, this was around 1978, and I had only paid $10 for it, but still...)

I have way more selling regrets than purchasing regrets, but most of those stem back to my "stupid kid" days (as opposed to my current "stupid old guy" days). Of note, selling a mid-grade copy of ToS 39 for $40 (in my defense, this was around 1978, and I had only paid $10 for it, but still...)

$10.00 :o

DRX

thinking books were rare in the beginning, then eventually finding out they were a dime a dozen..in the same grade after you bought it at a high price !

Amazing Spiderman #301 hm

It used to sell for $1000+ when there was a perceived scarcity but the last GPA sale was $311

I "sacrificed" my 9.8 white copy to the ebay gods last month for $500, trying to get something for it before prices went even lower. I was initially disappointed to only get $500, but it now looks like I made the right decision (especially since it was a raw copy I slabbed myself)

$10.00 :o

DRX

$10 probably seemed high at the time, considering the original owner paid 12 cents for it

I haven't taken a bath on anything other than raw books I bought that ended up being restored, but there are two types of slabs I've bought that have either slightly decreased in value or remained the same, which itself isn't ideal. The two types of books are:

• High population non-key books. Almost all high population books either decrease in value or increase at a fairly low or nonexistant rate. Prime examples of this I've bought include X-Men from GS1 to 141 and Silver Age books that were parts of warehouse finds such as FF 48, DD 9, and various others.
  • Marvel Annuals. This surprised me, but Annuals of even key titles don't appreciate much. Spidey Annual #1 and FF Annual #1 haven't increased in value much at all the last 5-10 years.

Bought my Avengers #1 CGC 5.5 for 2500$ last year. Another sold last month for 1700$. Guess the craze is over.

just wait till the movie speculation picks up again in 10-11. :gossip:

Well it was a pure impulse buy and I mainly regret my impatience in the matter. I still love the book however.

Does it have to be slabbed?

If it can be raw I bought an Amazing Spider-man #14 first Green Goblin that was graded as a fine in the LCS I bought it at and I paid 1400.00 for it.

Now I admit, It was before I was a member of this forum and gained some badly needed grading experience and knowledge.

Upon review, it is at best a 3.5-4.0 so yeah I got hosed.

Captain America Comics # 1 CGC 5.0 EPR.......$6,000 off a 'reputable' dealer...sent me scan after scan with the CGC label blurred...told me his camera was playing up...gave me a description of the restoration..arrived with 'married pages' (I knew it was restored, but not married pages) which he failed to mention in his description...sold it a year later for $4500...gutted!!!