• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man and Daredevil Comics Are Really Good Right Now

43 posts in this topic

BND is a good jump on point if you haven't read ASM for a bit because everything was apparently "reset" ( I won't spoil it for you) There are all new story arcs and it slowly starts to get pretty good ...

Start at "Brand New Day", Blob. It's a good place to start, and it is really better than not, most issues. Give it at least five-ten issues, and I'm telling you, I think you'll enjoy it. It is as close to classic Spidey as the title has been in decades.

Also, for your info, Mephisto talked Peter into a bargain over Aunt May's Life. Her life in exchange for Peter and MJ's happiness. They agreed and Mephisto gave Aunt May her life back in exchange for erasing the marriage and everyone's memory of Peter, and of the marriage. That sets up, "BND".

thanks, yes, i had some inkling of what BND was about from the news articles and people getting ticked off here. I'm pretty sure I have almost all of that up to 600 and if I'm missing anything, not a big deal.

Do I need to read any of the spin-offs to understand what's going on?

Is secret invasion and civil war and all of that going to whack with the continuity (or is BND after that?)

Yes, it was a little confusing reading 600....

I get the feeling that 601 up with MJ's return might not be hitting the dollar box so much, but I guess it will depend on how much the shop overordered to get various variants (I'm starting to feel sorry for the guy ... he lets me look at his overstock first at 3 for $2 and, criminey, the guy has like 30 - 50 extra copies of some issues. He will never get rid of some of this stuff.)

BND was after Civil War and before Secret Invasion. I would read Civil War (I thought it was a pretty good read) but if you don't, it won't really matter as to the plotlines in ASM. Secret Invasion was a bit disappointing IMO, but you may want to read it as it sets up the whole Norman Osbourne Dark Reign plot that is overtaking all of my favourite Marvel books....

Hope this helps.

And maybe I missed something (very possible, a tie-in or I just wasn't paying close enough attention), but how did Peter know that revealing his identity to someone would remove any mental blocks they've had surrounding Spider-man? This started in the Fantastic Four arc around ASM 590 or so. Can someone enlighten me?

Spider-man made a deal with someone (not revealed who) to hide his Identity!

The whole gimmick in how it works never properly revealed!

That was my issue...I'M familiar with the deal, but I didn't think that Spider-man was privy to it after he made the deal. Then in one of the story arcs, he explains that once he removes his mask, the people who see him will have no more mental block surrounding Peter's identity. HOW DOES HE KNOW THIS? It seemed to just pop up in one of the issues with no explanation.

There are plenty of things wrong with how One More Day/Brand New Day was handled and I can get over most of the little plot holes, but some of these holes are gigantic and I have a hard time finishing the story without questioning it as a result.

Yep, this was a plot hole you could drive a truck through. Bad editorial management.

The other thing that isn't clear is how far back does the memory erase go? MJ remembers Peter is Spider-Man, and remembers their relationship at a time when he knew she knew.

I get the feeling it's all just being made up as they go along.

For those that like the Daredevil series and skipped on Daredevil: The List #1, I'd recommend going back and picking it up. It was enjoyable for me and it is highly linked to the main series (it's only a one-shot anyway). It might as well have been DD #500 1/2.

Pat

For those that like the Daredevil series and skipped on Daredevil: The List #1, I'd recommend going back and picking it up. It was enjoyable for me and it is highly linked to the main series (it's only a one-shot anyway). It might as well have been DD #500 1/2.

Pat

I would go further and say that it very well may end up being a key book if he follows through with what it appears will happen in the end.

I'm enjoying ASM, but I can't stand Jomita Jr's art. His drawings of MJ are horrible. When Pete takes his roommate to the wedding, she looks bad, but she's supposed to be a fox. Can't see it with the bad art. I love JR Sr, but his son stinks. I'll keep reading it though. I have every issue from 90 on in high grade, and many earlier issues as well. I try to stick with ASM through thick and thin. Sort of like a sports fan who's there in good and bad runs...

V/R,

Mike

Do I need to read any of the spin-offs to understand what's going on?

Is secret invasion and civil war and all of that going to whack with the continuity (or is BND after that?)

Yes, it was a little confusing reading 600....

Nah. You can pass on all that stuff. Look for it, as you say, when it hits the dollar box.

And I just read thru 604 and am still enjoying the direction of this book.

Pat

I would go further and say that it very well may end up being a key book if he follows through with what it appears will happen in the end.

thanks, both of you. will add it to my list.

How good is this cover?

amazingsm602.jpg

Terrible cover... I can't even see the moped with that girl in the way!

:roflmao:

Loved it, Comicopolis. I loved all the MJ covers for that arc. I need to throw them up on the wall and enjoy them for a bit. A nice little set of modern good girl art.

I'm enjoying ASM, but I can't stand Jomita Jr's art. His drawings of MJ are horrible. When Pete takes his roommate to the wedding, she looks bad, but she's supposed to be a fox. Can't see it with the bad art. I love JR Sr, but his son stinks. I'll keep reading it though. I have every issue from 90 on in high grade, and many earlier issues as well. I try to stick with ASM through thick and thin. Sort of like a sports fan who's there in good and bad runs...

V/R,

Mike

If it makes you feel any better, Mike, he's one of my all time faves, so your loss is my gain. It all works out in the end. It could be worse- he could be Sal Buscema, late career.

How good is this cover?

amazingsm602.jpg

Terrible cover... I can't even see the moped with that girl in the way!

:roflmao:

Loved it, Comicopolis. I loved all the MJ covers for that arc. I need to throw them up on the wall and enjoy them for a bit. A nice little set of modern good girl art.

Yeah, I agree they would look great framed.

I hated the whole BND thing and the stories that followed it but I wasn't going to stop buying as I have every issue from #1 (and AF #15) and now I've really started to enjoy it again since #600.

Love the latest arc and it's good to see somebody finally doing something interesting with the original Spidey villain.

I think it's only going to get better, CP. They plan on cycling thru all the old classics in one big arc, if I read that correctly, in a recent issue.

(You've got one more issue than me- I plan on getting it, calendar year 2010) Grats!