• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is the greatest publisher ever ............ DC or Marvel?

If considering only these 2 publishers, who is the greatest publisher ever?  

501 members have voted

1. 1. If considering only these 2 publishers, who is the greatest publisher ever?

155 posts in this topic

Back in the day I always thought Marvel was too bombastic and pleased with itself.

That's why I identify with them. lol

Sadly I changed my mind and realized that they wrote sensitive, cerebral stuff like Warlock and off-the-wall nerdy books for girls like Howard The Duck and The Defenders. :baiting:

You do realize, this means WAR!

Back in the day I always thought Marvel was too bombastic and pleased with itself.

That's why I identify with them. lol

Sadly I changed my mind and realized that they wrote sensitive, cerebral stuff like Warlock and off-the-wall nerdy books for girls like Howard The Duck and The Defenders. :baiting:

You do realize, this means WAR!

Fair enough. Although I always enjoyed HTD back in the day.

1967 Comic Book Sales Figures

Average Total Paid Circulation as Reported in Publishers' Statements of Ownership

Title Publisher Avg. paid circ.

1) Batman DC 805,700

2) Superman DC 649,300

3) Superboy DC 547,100

4) World's Finest Comics DC 537,200

5) Archie Archie 484,648

6) Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen DC 450,700

7) Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane DC 448,400

8) Detective Comics DC 425,700

9) Action Comics DC 420,900

10) Adventure Comics DC 412,800

11) Man from U.N.C.L.E. Dell 411,235

12) Justice League of America DC 385,800

13) Tarzan Gold Key 384,450

14) Amazing Spider-Man Marvel 361,663

15) Betty and Veronica Archie 349,632

16) Brave & Bold DC 342,400

17) Fantastic Four Marvel 329,536

18) Walt Disney's Comics & Stories Gold Key 310,665

19) Dennis the Menace Fawcett 308,736

20) Treasure Chest Catholic Guild 306,80

Has anybody ever met anybody who collected Treasure Chest Catholic Guild?

I have met people who collect Archie,Ducks and Dennis but I have never met a Treasure Chest fan, it must have been popular at 300,000 sales a month.

Let's sort this list logically.

Great books bought by happy fan boys

Fantastic Four Marvel 329,536

Amazing Spider-Man Marvel 361,663

Batman DC 805,700

Detective Comics DC 425,700

Adventure Comics DC 412,800

Books bought by mom for unhappy fan boys

Superman DC 649,300

Superboy DC 547,100

World's Finest Comics DC 537,200

Archie Archie 484,648

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen DC 450,700

Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane DC 448,400

Action Comics DC 420,900

Man from U.N.C.L.E. Dell 411,235

Justice League of America DC 385,800

Tarzan Gold Key 384,450

Betty and Veronica Archie

Brave & Bold DC 342,400

Walt Disney's Comics & Stories Gold Key 310,665

Dennis the Menace Fawcett 308,736

Treasure Chest Catholic Guild [/b]306,80

and I'm still trying to figure out WHY Batman and Robin are sleeping in the same bed when he has a HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE house.

In case there is an emergency need to slide down the Bat-pole in the middle of the night :gossip:

That's the first time I've ever heard it called the Bat-pole.

the_batpoles.jpg

Marvel is because its been more of a universe for the most part while DC really has only been about the Batman and Superman.

Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Flash, Atom, Aquaman, Swamp Thing, Sgt. Rock, Cain, Abel, John Constantine, Sandman, Deadman, Plastic Man, Hawkman, Black Canary, Supergirl, Lois Lane, Teen Titans, JLA, Green Arrow ....... these characters have long histories

Marvel is because its been more of a universe for the most part while DC really has only been about the Batman and Superman.

Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Flash, Atom, Aquaman, Swamp Thing, Sgt. Rock, Cain, Abel, John Constantine, Sandman, Deadman, Green Arrow ....... these characters have long histories

yeah now its a cohesive universe but the majority of the dc lifespan, it was all about Superman and Batman.

Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Flash, Atom, Aquaman, Swamp Thing, Sgt. Rock, Cain, Abel, John Constantine, Sandman, Deadman, Plastic Man, Hawkman, Black Canary, Supergirl, Lois Lane, Teen Titans, JLA, Green Arrow ....... these characters have long histories

They also have more pink covers, snowman covers, homoerotic covers and single dimensional stories than Marvel...and who can forget the plethora of Robin corner shock covers. Oh my.

:baiting: