• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thinking about something.. RE:Thread in GA forum.

47 posts in this topic

I had to take it in another direction :shy:

I was never an Everett fan until recently. I actually was not a huge Kirby fan when I was younger either but I learned to appreciate them both in recent years.

It wasn't until Adamstrange (who's opinions I respect) noted that Everett was his favorite artist of all time that I took note and studied the work up he did up close.

The man is a serious story teller extraordinaire. Huge body of work, wildly original, versatile and great detail work. A giant IMO...and very understated. That is tough to pull off.

I was never an Everett fan until recently. I actually was not a huge Kirby fan when I was younger either but I learned to appreciate them both in recent years.

It wasn't until Adamstrange (who's opinions I respect) noted that Everett was his favorite artist of all time that I took note and studied the work up he did up close.

The man is a serious story teller extraordinaire. Huge body of work, wildly original, versatile and great detail work. A giant IMO...and very understated. That is tough to pull off.

But still not as good as Kirby ;) I like Everett's work, especially his precode stuff, but to me Kirby's (properly S&K) art was so much more dynamic, exciting, and interesting. In other words, it captured my attention and kept it.

It is possible that there is an argument to be made that Captain America #1 is the most important GA Timely. I think some research would need to be done, but anecdotal evidence would suggest that Timely was not a very important publisher until Cap 1 was released. Marvel 1 was their first title release. The next few (Daring, Mystic, Red Raven) didn't fare so well, and each transformed or was canceled in a short time. The newsstand numbers on the Church copies also suggest that Marvel Mystery sales really didn't start jumping until around the time of Captain America #1's release. Obviously World War II was a huge reason for Cap's success, but Marvel Mystery's sales increases also could be as a result of the War itself, or as a result of the correlation between the two titles. Either way, Captain America made Timely a viable publisher of superhero comics for the duration of the war.

(Doesn't all of this sound vaguely familiar...i.e. Fantastic Four 1 vs. Amazing Fantasy 15?)

It is possible that there is an argument to be made that Captain America #1 is the most important GA Timely. I think some research would need to be done, but anecdotal evidence would suggest that Timely was not a very important publisher until Cap 1 was released. Marvel 1 was their first title release. The next few (Daring, Mystic, Red Raven) didn't fare so well, and each transformed or was canceled in a short time. The newsstand numbers on the Church copies also suggest that Marvel Mystery sales really didn't start jumping until around the time of Captain America #1's release. Obviously World War II was a huge reason for Cap's success, but Marvel Mystery's sales increases also could be as a result of the War itself, or as a result of the correlation between the two titles. Either way, Captain America made Timely a viable publisher of superhero comics for the duration of the war.

(Doesn't all of this sound vaguely familiar...i.e. Fantastic Four 1 vs. Amazing Fantasy 15?)

I think there could be a lot of truth to this view. I would suggest that the relationship between Detective Comics 1 (or New Fun 1?) and Action 1 is also similar. Chronological precedence does not always equal historical significance.

Richard,

Would these be fair to say that:

GA: MMC #1 is the most important, but CAP #1 made the company keep going in terms of profitably and popularity

SA: Same correlation with FF #1 to AF 15.

Just curious as your opinion on that.

Really interesting stuff, Richard. (thumbs u

Or maybe, hundreds of years from now, something that we never gave any thought to (Sponge Bob? Sonic the Hedgehog?) could be considered the pinnacle of pop-culture achievement.

We will all just have to wait and see.

In the future when our great-great-grandchildren can all fly, lift automoblies and have x-ray vision, Superman will be considered a quaint figure from a bygone era, but Spongebob Squarepants will still be watched by children and adults everywhere.

Or maybe, hundreds of years from now, something that we never gave any thought to (Sponge Bob? Sonic the Hedgehog?) could be considered the pinnacle of pop-culture achievement.

In the future when our great-great-grandchildren can all fly, lift automoblies and have x-ray vision, Superman will be considered a quaint figure from a bygone era, but Spongebob Squarepants will still be watched by children and adults everywhere.

I don't know what sequel to Demolition Man you just watched...but I hope you've got the production company's address so you can mail them a bag of dog poop.

Everett did some great work on precode horror.Menace 1 and the zombie later,mens adventures,As you say very versatile.

MMC #1 is still the most important book for Timely/Marvel for the GA, but man is Cap #1’s cover to me is way better.

Cap decking Hitler, simply classic. :golfclap:

I was never a fan of MMC #1, but it sure is important.

I think alot of the attraction to Cap 1 is the cover art.Instead of using a pulp artist(Paul?) they shopuld have went with a comic artist.

But time moves on, and Spidey has rightfully been given the title of most important character from that time period. And silver age, simply due to perspective, is becoming THE collectible time period for comic books. The old farts get moved aside. I think it is entirely possible that at some point in the future Amazing Fantasy 15 could be considered the most important comic of all.

Totally agree. :golfclap:

I don't know what sequel to Demolition Man you just watched...but I hope you've got the production company's address so you can mail them a bag of dog poop.

They thought man would never land on the moon as well.

They thought man would never land on the moon as well.

If left up to the nimrods that think they're smart because they were able to pass some exams that wouldn't have happened either. You needed real vision and imagination...it just amazes me how many there are in the world that are considered professionals or experts because they were able to complete college.

Personally, I think that is debatable, Pat.

I think it all depends on your parameters: financial, historical, impact, scarcity, etc. Personally I think AF 15 is more significant than FF1 (and I am more of an FF guy than a Spidey guy) because Spidey is way more of a creative achievement. FF characters are all retreads. I know I'm setting myself up to look ignorant when some of you will point out Spidey's original sources of inspiration, but hey, I'm here to learn!

I wouldnt think non-Americans would be big cap fans. (shrug)

My eight year old stepson is German, and he saw the Cap 1 on my dsktop wallpaper and said "That offends me."

I think he meant the swastika offends him, as young Germans get hammered with anti-Nazi education, but I've had other war books in sight and that's the one that bothered him.