• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Albedo Volume 1, NR2

201 posts in this topic

Can you Copper Wizards here give me any background on this book.

I have the opportunity to buy a VF+ to VF/NM copy that I had in my hands the other day. I havent been given a price on it yet.

I realized this book is very hard to find what I am not quite clear on is the 500 copies the black cover? and the red cover the 1500 copies version?

I had the black cover in my hands and I thought it was the 1st print, but I wasnt

100% sure. Anyone care to give me a value on this book and what I should pay for it in the above grade.

I believe you are describing Albedo #1 when you talk about a Red Cover Version.

If we were talking about Albedo #2 (see below), prices on this book have come down substantially. Mainly Comic Mylar on eBay has been buying up high-grade copies (last time when he posted 4 copies at the same time, 3 were CGC 9.6 books), but CGC 9.2s have sold in the $550 - $650 range, where a few years ago that pricetag would have been much higher.

By the way, there were 2,000 copies of Albedo #2 off the official Usagi Yojimbo site. Supposedly, that number used to be stated as 1,500 total.

http://www.usagiyojimbo.com/other/albedo2.html

albedo2.gif

Yes that is the issue I was talking about. I had the issue above in my hands the other day. My explanation was not the best. I thought the red copy was a 2nd print, but its actually issue 1 instead?

I think the book I am looking at is not worth slabbing so whats a good price on raw book graded at 8.5 to 9.0? I think slabbing this copy would not be cost effecient especially with that many high grade slabs, but I havent looked at the census to really see all numbers.

Appreciate any and all information.

8.5/9.0 raw: $150 - $200 tops

There is a fellow selling his CGC 9.0 on eBay you can compare the raw book to, but don't go by his price asked. He keeps reposting that book for $650, and it won't be selling any time soon.

If it's at least an 8.5, $200 would be a great deal! These have been on a down swing over the past 2 years, but CGC 8.5/9.0 copies still bring $400-$550. Raw copies in true 9.0 sell at $400 within a day or two.

Yes that is the issue I was talking about. I had the issue above in my hands the other day. My explanation was not the best. I thought the red copy was a 2nd print, but its actually issue 1 instead?

I think the book I am looking at is not worth slabbing so whats a good price on raw book graded at 8.5 to 9.0? I think slabbing this copy would not be cost effecient especially with that many high grade slabs, but I havent looked at the census to really see all numbers.

#2 was never re-printed as a second print. The variations of red are for Albedo #1.

Now, as to a good price, I've been out of the market for this book lately, although I did sell a 9.0 for a ton of money at the top of the market. :cloud9: I'd probably pay $200 or so for a raw unrestored 8.5/9.0.

BUT, be careful about color touch. The cover stock is pretty thick, so if there's a color breaking ding or stress, a fair number of them have been touched up.

#2 was never re-printed as a second print. The variations of red are for Albedo #1.

Now, as to a good price, I've been out of the market for this book lately, although I did sell a 9.0 for a ton of money at the top of the market. :cloud9: I'd probably pay $200 or so for a raw unrestored 8.5/9.0.

BUT, be careful about color touch. The cover stock is pretty thick, so if there's a color breaking ding or stress, a fair number of them have been touched up.

Just as an aside, Al Stoltz (who is a great dealer IMHO) has a #2 that looks awesome from the other side of the table at a con, but when you look at it out of the bag it has been touched with a black marker about 5 times. Would be a nice 8.0 if it hadn't been amateur CT. Very sad. Be very careful of #2s being color touched as well.

There is a fellow selling his CGC 9.0 on eBay you can compare the raw book to, but don't go by his price asked. He keeps reposting that book for $650, and it won't be selling any time soon.

If it's at least an 8.5, $200 would be a great deal! These have been on a down swing over the past 2 years, but CGC 8.5/9.0 copies still bring $400-$550. Raw copies in true 9.0 sell at $400 within a day or two.

Albedo #2 CGC 8.5/9.0 for $400-$550? I'm not sure about that, William.

There have been a few CGC 9.2s that even sold on eBay over the past year in the $550-$680 range, as I track those books when they come up. And I bought my 9.2 close to the high-end of that spectrum because I was sick of waiting any longer.

Just as an aside, Al Stoltz (who is a great dealer IMHO) has a #2 that looks awesome from the other side of the table at a con, but when you look at it out of the bag it has been touched with a black marker about 5 times. Would be a nice 8.0 if it hadn't been amateur CT. Very sad. Be very careful of #2s being color touched as well.

I've heard this quite frequently since that black cover can seem like a stress line collector. That's why I always avoided buying raw copies of this book.

What a shame. Even a nice CGC 8.0 would be wonderful to have.

Albedo #2 CGC 8.5/9.0 for $400-$550? I'm not sure about that, William.

There have been a few CGC 9.2s that even sold on eBay over the past year in the $550-$680 range, as I track those books when they come up. And I bought my 9.2 close to the high-end of that spectrum because I was sick of waiting any longer.

Yeah, I track it too. I wouldn't lie to you Nick! lol I know prices have dropped over the last couple of years, but I haven't seen a CGC 9.2 go for under $600+ in the past 3 years on Ebay, Clink, etc... It's possible that I've missed a quick buy it now or something, but I check every few days.

My buddy sold 2 copies at Chicago this year, a raw 8.0/8.5 to a dealer on Thursday for $350, and a CGC 8.5 WP copy within an hour on Friday for $500.

I am sure that there are deals to be had (especially compared to previous prices), but people are still willing to pay for a nice copy.

Albedo 2 CGC 9.2, eBay item # 260365037833, sold for $570, Feb-09. Guess you missed that one from curtis5824. :baiting:

He has sold over 5 copies of this book over the past two years. I know - I used to purchase from him until I read on here some of the things he pulled with other board members. That stopped me from buying further.

Albedo 2 CGC 9.2, eBay item # 260365037833, sold for $570, Feb-09. Guess you missed that one from curtis5824. :baiting:

He has sold over 5 copies of this book over the past two years.

yup, I bid on that one, but not high enough...

What's funny is the guy that won (willpine) tried to flip it a few months later for $900, and when I contacted him he tried to convince me he had paid $800.

When you checked his feedback, the second item down was this sale for $570. He didn't respond further when I pointed that out to him. lol

Well F me sideways. Was there a retracted bid or something on it? Because I keep notes on ebay comics that I sell and bid on and I actually remember bidding on that issue. According to my notes my bid of $611.09 was outbid. Maybe I should start taking drugs so I have an excuse... :insane:

lol

Curtis is known to have someone shill his auctions (that was one of the key complaints). I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of those auctions.

See, more than one person is noting the sales. :baiting:

Well F me sideways. Was there a retracted bid or something on it? Because I keep notes on ebay comics that I sell and bid on and I actually remember bidding on that issue. According to my notes my bid of $611.09 was outbid. Maybe I should start taking drugs so I have an excuse... :insane:

lol

Curtis is known to have someone shill his auctions (that was one of the key complaints). I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of those auctions.

See, more than one person is noting the sales. :baiting:

Yeah, that's what I'm starting to think (shilling). But after he or whomever retracted their bid, wouldn't have I been the winning bidder since my bid was higher then what the winning one went for? It just doesn't make sense.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have GPA for 9.2's? I haven't renewed my subscription yet.

Edit: Nevermind. Right in my notes It says I used a snipe account. It was probably shilled up so I got an email saying that my bid had already been outbid so I cancelled it.

Thanks for the heads up on Curtis and his practices...

What happens is the seller (if we were talking about a regular sale - not a shilled sale) gets the notice the buyer is retracting their winning bid. They then have the option of choosing who to make a second-chance offer to.

The system doesn't automatically default to the next highest bidder once an auction ends.

You would think he would have offered it to you first as the next highest bidder, but the final winner may have contacted Curtis ahead of time offering to pay whatever if the "winner" didn't pay.

So I got to see the copy up close this weekend. I took several pictures for another boardie here.

It is between VF+ and VF/NM copy. It could got either way I think. Just some very light stress marks on front and back as only defects. Nice color looked pretty square. Copy seems unrestored because it was pulled out of backstock and had a mid 90s price tag on it so its been sitting for at least 14 years. While I couldnt rule out restoration it looked unrestored.

Shop wants $400 for it.