• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bad transaction between me and Forum member GreatEscape

308 posts in this topic

Andy, I only know you as a reasonable guy.

Thing is that I know Dino as a reasonable guy as well. I've met him.

This is a real shame.

:(

I'm very surprised to hear this about GreatEscape. I only know of him through the boards, but he'd always been an upstanding member here (from what I know). Sorry to hear about this unfortunate transaction. He's 100% in the wrong here and owes you a full refund (including CGC costs because the refund was predicated on the grade and PQ). I hope you get full restitution :wishluck:

If the buyer wants to return the book for a full refund (within a sensible time frame) the answer is always YES!

BINGO. This can't be repeated enough.

Sorry to hear of the trouble Andy, I find you to be quite a pleasure to deal(and chat) with despite you being a limey. :baiting:

If the buyer wants to return the book for a full refund (within a sensible time frame) the answer is always YES!

Sorry to hear of the trouble Andy, I find you to be quite a pleasure to deal(and chat) with despite you being a limey. :baiting:

lol

+1

How was this transaction payed for? Any possibility you can dispute it?

+1

How was this transaction payed for? Any possibility you can dispute it?

Paypal, via CC. And having checked with both, no. The book was delivered and I signed for it. That's all both Paypal and my credit card policies cover.

I thought there was a clause with paypal that if the book is significantly different then the description by the seller that they would act on it...

I figured since you got the book certified by a third party and the grades are significantly different then described that you should be protected....

I thought there was a clause with paypal that if the book is significantly different then the description by the seller that they would act on it...

I figured since you got the book certified by a third party and the grades are significantly different then described that you should be protected....

With Paypal, there's always a time limit to these things.

I have made several purchases from Andy over the years and have always been very happy with his grading and service.

Very sorry to hear about you being treated this way.

This seller will lose many future sales because of this. I think his financial situation is going to get worse.

Agreed, far beyond subjective. A seller should also disclose brittle pages when selling a book like this.

You would think this would be common sense, but it isn't!

I'm sorry for your troubles, I hope all is worked out in the end!

I'm surpised it got a 2.5 with the splits you describe. The price adjustment was far too small. How is CGC supposed to give it anything but BRITTLE pages with splits of all the wraps, top and bottom, to prove it? How "large" were they?

Hindsight is 20/20, but the CGC arrangement was doomed to fail. A full refund and return was the only recourse you should have accepted. If there was no return policy to begin with, you never should have bought the thing in the first place - not even from your mother. Respected forumite means very little, and I consider myself part of that group.

Not putting blame on you, trying to hold this up as an object lesson for others to learn from.

The splits are about an inch and a half each. The splits may not necessarily have been evidence of the brittleness, which was a general defect with the interior pages, in my opinion.

And I agree that this is an object lesson, although one shouldn't expect such conduct from someone who claims to have such a positive profile on the Forum.

So the spine and wraps are just a little less than half-split, 3 inches out of 8? This is a Fair/Good on my grading scale. Can't wait to see it, it must have some terrific eye appeal to get a 2.5.

Someone could have cut the spine with a scissor along the fold for an inch and a half on the top and bottom, but other than that, that kind of wear means the paper is no longer very supple... :grin: I suppose repeated opening and closing wear could have created the splits as well, without necessarily being brittle, so I hear ya.

Sorry to hear about this, Andy. Open and closed case. I'm sure GreatEscape is thinking about his next "great escape"... Want to get away?

You've always come across as reasonable...and to have someone take advantage of that is asking for Karma to kick you in the arse.

Sorry to hear about this, Andy. Open and closed case. I'm sure GreatEscape is thinking about his next "great escape"... Want to get away?

You've always come across as reasonable...and to have someone take advantage of that is asking for Karma to kick you in the arse.

Hey Sterling...

I like to think I'm karmically aligned on this matter :cool: - the one time another Forumite sent off a book he purchased from me and it came back a lower grade and not the designated ped I thought it was, I refunded everything, including shipping both ways and his CGC costs.

Hey Sterling...

I like to think I'm karmically aligned on this matter :cool: - the one time another Forumite sent off a book he purchased from me and it came back a lower grade and not the designated ped I thought it was, I refunded everything, including shipping both ways and his CGC costs.

Definitely karmically aligned...in serious need of a credit...

I think it's cool if you're off one grade...stuff happens...it's this kind of gross grading and behavior that makes me want to go Dark Knight on somebody. At the other end of the spectrum...I'm sure most folks don't want to deal with crybabies and anal retentives...what did I just categorize the whole hobby species? lol

Sorry to hear about this unfortunate transaction and that

isn't chump change you spent. :(

I sure hope you can somehow recover some or all of your

funds and I always enjoy your posts and I've heard from so

many members how you are a great guy to buy from and

always very fair. (thumbs u

That fact and you haven't sniped me in a long while. I guess

I would have to bid before you could snipe me. :insane::(

Good luck sorting this out somehow. :wishluck:

:foryou:

Sorry to hear about this unfortunate transaction and that

isn't chump change you spent. :(

I sure hope you can somehow recover some or all of your

funds and I always enjoy your posts and I've heard from so

many members how you are a great guy to buy from and

always very fair. (thumbs u

That fact and you haven't sniped me in a long while. I guess

I would have to bid before you could snipe me. :insane::(

Good luck sorting this out somehow. :wishluck:

:foryou:

Thanks Fay, much appreciated.

And I haven't been going crazy on ebay lately either, which explains the lack of any snipe wars.