• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleaning questions

13 posts in this topic

Hi everyone...

Picked up a nice TOS 48 that I might slab. There's a small greasy smudge on the cover, and I'm thinking about wonderbreading it off if possible. I have a few questions about this process.

First, will CGC be able to detect this and PLOD me for it?

Second, I've never done this before. If I just do that one bit of dirt, will I have a clean spot in that area, compared to the rest of the cover?

Third, any tips on doing this? Hard pressure vs gentle pressure, etc?

I know many people have negative feelings about this process. I'm not looking to create yet another thread on resto ethics. I'm not a dealer, but if I ever do move this book I will disclose the cleaning. Personally I view restoration as an additive process, where you are restoring lost elements of a book, vs cleaning, which is simply the removal of aftermarket dirt. Your views may be different, and I'm fine with that.

Thanks!

web.jpg

web.jpg

I believe the Wonderbread method should be used on white areas like the back cover.

(thumbs u

There's that Joey guy waving his thumb around again.

:preach:

don't think the smudge would affect the grade much, and would leave as is. what is the wonderbread technique??

You can use a piece of Wonderbread to clean dirt from a white area of a cover. Try searching Wonderbread.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=30&Number=2901470&Searchpage=2&Main=147944&Words=wonderbread&topic=0&Search=true#Post2901470

don't think the smudge would affect the grade much, and would leave as is. what is the wonderbread technique??

You can use a piece of Wonderbread to clean dirt from a white area of a cover. Try searching Wonderbread.

Try searching, but don't try Wonderbread :grin: