• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much $ would a CGC 9.8 copy of Action Comics #1 sell for?

262 posts in this topic

I could think of a handful of entertainment/celebrities that collect comics who would not be setback by a record-breaking price on an Action 1. I was thinking if a certified 9.4 ever made it to market, it would be in the $5 Million range, so double that amount for a 9.8 is conceivable, though not very likely in terms of a copy of this book in that condition ever surfacing.

Wayne Gretzky and Bruce McNall bought the Honus Wagner for about a half-million in the early 1990s. That was an example of celebrities going into the collectibles market so there is precedent.

What are the odds of 'Tec 27 overtaking Action 1 going forward? You'd have to think the Batman franchise is currently much healthier than Superman.

Will never happen again IMO.

Det 27 took the torch from Marvel Comics #1 when the Buton Batman movie came out 20 years ago for a brief time and then Action #1 took the lead after that.

I think people realized that once the stigma of Marvel #1 had been broken by that first movie hype that the only real successor could be the first and the best.

I don't think Action #1 will ever slip into 2nd Place again. We're dealing with artifacts that relate to Pop culture now and it's no longer about the character at this point. It's more about the idea of a hero breaking the molds in 1938 IMO.

Fine art vs. commercial art; fine art trumps every time by a huge margin. Also the Pollock is a one of a kind.

An auction of the original art for the cover of Action #1 would be fun to watch.

Anyone know anything about this? Such as who owns it and where it is located?

Fine art vs. commercial art; fine art trumps every time by a huge margin. Also the Pollock is a one of a kind.

An auction of the original art for the cover of Action #1 would be fun to watch.

Anyone know anything about this? Such as who owns it and where it is located?

Don't think anyone in the general public knows the answer.

AF #15 Original Art was MIA for decades until someone donated it to the Library Of Congress recently.

The stuff that dreams are made of.

:cloud9:

I could think of a handful of entertainment/celebrities that collect comics who would not be setback by a record-breaking price on an Action 1. I was thinking if a certified 9.4 ever made it to market, it would be in the $5 Million range, so double that amount for a 9.8 is conceivable, though not very likely in terms of a copy of this book in that condition ever surfacing.

Wayne Gretzky and Bruce McNall bought the Honus Wagner for about a half-million in the early 1990s. That was an example of celebrities going into the collectibles market so there is precedent.

What are the odds of 'Tec 27 overtaking Action 1 going forward? You'd have to think the Batman franchise is currently much healthier than Superman.

Det 27 took the torch from Marvel Comics #1 when the Buton Batman movie came out 20 years ago for a brief time and then Action #1 took the lead after that.

I think people realized that once the stigma of Marvel #1 had been broken by that first movie hype that the only real successor could be the first and the best.

I don't think Action #1 will ever slip into 2nd Place again. We're dealing with artifacts that relate to Pop culture now and it's no longer about the character at this point. It's more about the idea of a hero breaking the molds in 1938 IMO.

Sure. But FF1 managed to get overtaken by a more important character. Back in the day FF1 was THE SA Marvel to have.

I'm not saying Action1 will get overtaken, but I'm just asking the question.

Sure. But FF1 managed to get overtaken by a more important character. Back in the day FF1 was THE SA Marvel to have.

I'm not saying Action1 will get overtaken, but I'm just asking the question.

True enough. I am a little sad by that as I am an FF fan. To be fair the AF #15 market seems to have been ignited by the sale of two high grade copies of AF #15 about 1.5 years ago. We have not seen a true high grade copy of FF #1 come up for sale any time recently. I suspect that if someone threw an FF #1 up for auction in 9.4 grade it would easily sell for $200K and draw up all lower copies with it. That's my opinion.

If you look around you can see that AF #15 has stopped breaking records with every sale...it's corrected a bit.

I'd love to see an FF #1 9.4 come up for sale soon....then you could compare apples to apples.

I also think the market dynamics are a little different when you are discussing Action #1 as compared to AF #15 or FF #1 but hey, I'm happy to be proven wrong.

There are litereally 100's or 1000's of people who can afford and relate to AF #15.

The same can't be said for an Action #1 or a Tec #27 where a "rag" copy will cost you what a better AF #15 will cost.

R.

ya know, for a Marvel Zombie. I like the way you think. (thumbs u

I think Tec #27 may start moving up in value faster than Action #1 in the near future. Whether that means Tec #27 will overtake Action #1 or not, I don't know. Marvel #1 used to be the king of comics until Tec #27 and Action #1 duked it out with Action #1 coming out on top. Now I think Tec #27 is fighting to regain that mantle. With the Batman movies affecting pop culture on a much grander scale than the Superman movie, and the Batman character being a more realistic superhero, it's conceivable that the 1st appearance of Batman could be the "it" comic in the near future.

I think Tec #27 may start moving up in value faster than Action #1 in the near future. Whether that means Tec #27 will overtake Action #1 or not, I don't know. Marvel #1 used to be the king of comics until Tec #27 and Action #1 duked it out with Action #1 coming out on top. Now I think Tec #27 is fighting to regain that mantle. With the Batman movies affecting pop culture on a much grander scale than the Superman movie, and the Batman character being a more realistic superhero, it's conceivable that the 1st appearance of Batman could be the "it" comic in the near future.

Nobody has really been able to answer this, and I've asked it several times in the GA forum, but why was Marvel Comics #1 at the top and then dethroned? I mean it's my favorite book even though Action #1 is worth more, but why did it hold that top spot for so long only to get knocked off?

I heard that Bob Overstreet was a huge fan of Marvel #1, and it might be true as he bought a coverless copy of Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1 (1st Sub-mariner app/origin which was reprinted for Marvel Comics #1) for $2000 when they were found making the book more expensive than an Action #1 at the time.

Anybody?

I read through the forums somewhere, that once upon a time (1970s ish), it was actually a 4-horse race with a Captain Marvel comic in there duking it out.

And prior to that - I believe a Disney book or something?

Speaking of which - what's the future of GA Capt Marvel?

I read through the forums somewhere, that once upon a time (1970s ish), it was actually a 4-horse race with a Captain Marvel comic in there duking it out.

And prior to that - I believe a Disney book or something?

Speaking of which - what's the future of GA Capt Marvel?

It was Whiz Comics #2 (1) was his first app/origin and yes it was way up there at one point. It's also one of my favorite GA runs to collect.

Captain Marvel was hands down the most popular hero of the GA. His Captain Marvel Adventures comics outsold Superman 2:1 at one point.

Now? Out of sight out of mind I suppose.

Are there even enough sales of Action 1 and Detective 27 in the same grade during the same years to even make a call as to which one is valued more by the market? I couldn't find a clear trend looking through GPA data. (shrug)

I'm certain this would have been discussed on the GA forums (i.e. the "future" of Capt Marvel).

Has it?

Any notable threads? I'm curious to read up about it.

Part of the problem may be that he's not Capt Marvel anymore, he's Shazam. Cap Marvel is part of the Marvel universe. He had a bit of a resurgence in the 70's with the TV series and comic book, but it was short lived. Plus, the nickname "The Big Red Cheese" isn't doing him any favors

Are there even enough sales of Action 1 and Detective 27 in the same grade during the same years to even make a call as to which one is valued more by the market? I couldn't find a clear trend looking through GPA data. (shrug)

Not in similar grades but there have been enough sales of each book to extrapolate some sales data for each.

Tec #27 is holding it's own but in a given grade Action #1 beats it out currently.

I'm certain this would have been discussed on the GA forums (i.e. the "future" of Capt Marvel).

Has it?

Part of the problem may be that he's not Capt Marvel anymore, he's Shazam. Cap Marvel is part of the Marvel universe. He had a bit of a resurgence in the 70's with the TV series and comic book, but it was short lived. Plus, the nickname "The Big Red Cheese" isn't doing him any favors

He is still called Cap Marvel, but he can´t have his own title name like that, because of that Marvel BS. He was doing Shazam´s job for a while though, as he (Shazam, the magician) was dead.

Cap Marvel would need a really creative team to push him up again. I am certain, that he has the potential, I just don´t see anyone doing anything to prove that.

Personally, I´d want them to draw him with open eyes (they´re so small, it always looks like he hasn´t any) and they´d have to modify his suite and alter ego a bit.

Has it?

He is still called Cap Marvel, but he can´t have his own title name like that, because of that Marvel BS. He was doing Shazam´s job for a while though, as he (Shazam, the magician) was dead.

Cap Marvel would need a really creative team to push him up again. I am certain, that he has the potential, I just don´t see anyone doing anything to prove that.

Personally, I´d want them to draw him with open eyes (they´re so small, it always looks like he hasn´t any) and they´d have to modify his suite and alter ego a bit.

If you haven't yet you need to read DC's Kindom Come mini series. Their take on Captain Marvel blew me away.