• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave and the Bold #28 Club
7 7

810 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
13 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:
15 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Actually, this book will have made itself available twice in under a couple months.

Sold here not too long ago.

Actually, this is the 3rd sale of this book this summer. However, it was originally a 7.5

Wow ! From a 7.5 to 9.0. And yes, third time sale would be correct.

1 hour ago, Foolkiller said:

They were very nice Bob.  Unbelievable colors etc.  The book sold for $108k.  I was the previous owner before it went to Greg.

Are you saying that you was the previous owner when it was still a CGC 7.5 graded copy of the exact same book?  ???

If so, were the pressable defects on the original unpressed copy so bad and such an eye sore that it warranted that big of a drop all the way down to a CGC grade of only 7.5?  Or was the book left as is and this is simply within CGC's acceptable grading margin of error?  hm  lol

55 minutes ago, Foolkiller said:
1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

Besides offering the BB28 9.0, Doug will also have a pretty neat Tec 225 9.4 (single highest) and a Bats 155 9.6 (single highest)

The latter two are from a different collection.  

Any idea what the prior grades were on these 2 books?  :devil:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Are you saying that you was the previous owner when it was still a CGC 7.5 graded copy of the exact same book?  ???

If so, were the pressable defects on the original unpressed copy so bad and such an eye sore that it warranted that big of a drop all the way down to a CGC grade of only 7.5?  Or was the book left as is and this is simply within CGC's acceptable grading margin of error?  hm  lol

I was the owner of it as a 7.5 and upgraded the book (yes it is the same book).  The pressable defects were mostly non color breaking bends and other very minor fixable things, and there were some other things that were edge wear that if you simply took the time to do could be fixed.  It definitely was some good, careful work.  

7 minutes ago, Foolkiller said:

I was the owner of it as a 7.5 and upgraded the book (yes it is the same book).  The pressable defects were mostly non color breaking bends and other very minor fixable things, and there were some other things that were edge wear that if you simply took the time to do could be fixed.  It definitely was some good, careful work.  

Well done then and very sharp eyes!  (thumbsu

Was this done by Matt's former company or was this done by the competing pressing company?  hm

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well done then and very sharp eyes!  (thumbsu

Was this done by Matt's former company or was this done by the competing pressing company?  hm

Neither.  I would use CCS if I wasn't using someone else who is delivering a product that is in my eyes comparable to Matt's best work and skill.  But I still use CCS. 

12 minutes ago, Foolkiller said:
18 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Neither.  I would use CCS if I wasn't using someone else who is delivering a product that is in my eyes comparable to Matt's best work and skill.  But I still use CCS. 

So, no truth to the rumors or conspiracy theory that if Matt had identified the book as having been pressed by the competing company, it probably would have come back as a CGC PLOD 7.0 instead of CGC 9.0 Universal graded copy.  :devil:  lol

17 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

So, no truth to the rumors or conspiracy theory that if Matt had identified the book as having been pressed by the competing company, it probably would have come back as a CGC PLOD 7.0 instead of CGC 9.0 Universal graded copy.  :devil:  lol

Somehow I doubt it.  

1 hour ago, Foolkiller said:

Somehow I doubt it.  

Why........you party pooper, you!  (tsk)

Why spoil a good fun story with dry and boring facts.  lol

I will find that auction VERY interesting as far as the B&B28 goes.  I noticed the sale on Greg's site a little while ago and was wondering if that price was an accurate representation of what it would go for in an auction.  Does whomever sold it make a profit or take the loss?

45 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

Weird question - are Batman and Superman part of the JLA in BB28 or do they join in a later issue (like BB29 or JLA 1 etc)?

Awesome books everyone - a club I really want to join ......

They are both mentioned as members but when they are called by Aquaman they are both too busy to participate in the mission against Starro. Silver Age divas :grin:

8 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

Weird question - are Batman and Superman part of the JLA in BB28 or do they join in a later issue (like BB29 or JLA 1 etc)?

Awesome books everyone - a club I really want to join ......

I found in that in the earlier issues (maybe even the later books) Superman and Batman don't appear much  and I was kinda disappointed when reading BB28 to JLA 10. Batman is my favorite hero of all-time so.

As far as issue number 11 and on maybe someone can give you input on that....I would like to know myself to be honest. I have only read DC Archives volume 1 of the JLA.

Edited by SC22

On 8/15/2017 at 5:40 PM, JLA Brad said:

I will find that auction VERY interesting as far as the B&B28 goes.  I noticed the sale on Greg's site a little while ago and was wondering if that price was an accurate representation of what it would go for in an auction.  Does whomever sold it make a profit or take the loss?

80,500 Reserve Not Met. 

55 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

80,500 Reserve Not Met. 

So, no profit, no loss.

Interesting that the bidding didn't go beyond 80,500...was it because it was auctioned off through Pedigree?  I would imagine the reserve was probably set somewhere around $110K?

6 minutes ago, JLA Brad said:

So, no profit, no loss.

Interesting that the bidding didn't go beyond 80,500...was it because it was auctioned off through Pedigree?  I would imagine the reserve was probably set somewhere around $110K?

IMO, Reserve auctions typically don't do well. Personally, I don't even bother bidding when I see Reserve. I'm sure there are others that feel the same. Doug is transitioning from dealing in strictly Marvel to some DC.  DC is a different marketplace than Marvel. DC bidders are not used to paying insane multiples like the Marvel Junkies. The 9.2 Showcase 22 didn't make Reserve either. 80,500 for a 9.0 isn't bad. I think a 9.2 would have crushed the 100K mark ,but not a 9.0, yet.

8 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

IMO, Reserve auctions typically don't do well. Personally, I don't even bother bidding when I see Reserve. I'm sure there are others that feel the same. Doug is transitioning from dealing in strictly Marvel to some DC.  DC is a different marketplace than Marvel. DC bidders are not used to paying insane multiples like the Marvel Junkies. The 9.2 Showcase 22 didn't make Reserve either. 80,500 for a 9.0 isn't bad. I think a 9.2 would have crushed the 100K mark ,but not a 9.0, yet.

I have to say I agree with you.  Reserve auctions are really little different than the "Buy it Now" option on Ebay.  Whomever put the book up was not going to lose money, so he/she was banking on either keeping the book or making a quick profit with the upcoming JL movie on the horizon.

I think there is a lot of upside to this book - I'm not saying to pay $110K for the 9.0, but 5 years from now we are likely wishing we did.

I think this is Doug's copy that didn't meet reserve, up for auction on Heritage. I didn't realize there are 9 copies in 9.0 with 5 higher. Last time I checked the census was a lot lower.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-brave-and-the-bold-28-justice-league-of-america-dc-1960-cgc-vf-nm-90-off-white-pages/p/7169-40019.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Edited by Bomber-Bob

13 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think this is Doug's copy that didn't meet reserve, up for auction on Heritage. I didn't realize there are 9 copies in 9.0 with 5 higher. Last time I checked the census was a lot lower.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-brave-and-the-bold-28-justice-league-of-america-dc-1960-cgc-vf-nm-90-off-white-pages/p/7169-40019.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Yes, Gotham Kid had mentioned this over in the Showcase 22 thread last week, that this BB28 along with the 9.2 Showcase 22 were in the upcoming Heritage auction (former Greg Reece and Pedigree auction copies)

I imagine that these would possibly be no reserve auctions in Heritage?

13 hours ago, DanCooper said:

I imagine that these would possibly be no reserve auctions in Heritage?

I'm not even sure Heritage allows for reserve auctions.

The Tec 225 9.4 is also there.

Edited by Gotham Kid