• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT:The actor halts his Broadway play when a cell phone in the audience goes off.

19 posts in this topic

I saw the video. It was NOTHING like the Bale thing.

Jackman was patient and stayed in character. He handled it as professional as anyone could have expected.

The phone kept ringing and ringing. Jackman asked him to please turn it off. Then it starts ringing again!

I would have backed him if he'd jumped off stage and pounded the guy. Whoever it was, he was a total .

http://www.tmz.com/2009/09/28/jackman-and-craig-can-you-hear-us-now/

Much tamer than Bale, and he handled it pretty calmly, considering his body language was displaying a potential meltdown.

(thumbs u

I saw this, and thought Jackman made it fun for the audience while keeping the show going. No way did he even come close to acting like Bale.

Daniel Craig joined in, which was funny.

What about the guy who was filming this with his cell phone? Just as big of a jerk.

Dan

Of course the guy filming was pals with the cellphone guy. They wanted to see if they could get an outburst large enough to sell for real money to the tabloids.

...of course, that's what I heard from the tinhat brigade...

I believe whole heartedly that if you are at a live performance that you should not be speaking...let alone accepting phone calls. It's rude. There's a thing called class and it's something that a lot of people seem to have forgotten.

I've been in a movie theatre where a guy in his 20s kept taking calls on his cell phone (during Peter Jackson's King Kong) and finally some dude sitting next to him asked him to please turn off his phone in a very loud and irritated voice, the 20 year old popped off something smart and the older guy was like "If my kids weren't here with me right now I'd stomp a hole in your , now turn you phone off!" and the dude left the theatre and didn't come back.

It is a matter of "class" but not in an etiquette sort of way.

It's a matter of "class" as in "class system".

At first, cell phones were only used by the "top" of the class system... primarily doctors on call.

Later, cell phones started being used by the "upper middle" of the class system... parents or professionals with "lots of money".

Cell phones trickled down to the "middle class", and it wasn't surprising that just about everyone you knew had a cell phone.

Each of these groups, having several years of experience with cell phones, has generally learned how to

turn them off, silence them, or handle any situation without alerting/annoying the public.

As cell phones made their way into the hands of the class system's "leftovers"...

suddenly anyone, anywhere could make themselves "feel important" by taking a cell phone call.

I suppose they like to believe that the public thinks they might be a doctor since they are taking a phone call,

but I don't think they realize that the rest of society has already had phones for years

and learned how to keep them quiet.

As a result, the only people whose phones ever go off anymore are:

People who JUST got a phone, meaning:

a) they're extremely poor

b) they're extremely elderly

c) they're in middle school

I'm not sure that anyone would SHOUT any of these three things about themselves in public...

but that's what the cell phone does for them... each time it rings, each time a text chimes,

or whenever it's dark in the audience and someone is glowing from the text screen in front of them.

Much like the excessively-loud truck exhaust, these people are basically saying...

"If you want to know who's at the bottom of society, I'm over here!"

:foryou:

It is a matter of "class" but not in an etiquette sort of way.

It's a matter of "class" as in "class system".

At first, cell phones were only used by the "top" of the class system... primarily doctors on call.

Later, cell phones started being used by the "upper middle" of the class system... parents or professionals with "lots of money".

Cell phones trickled down to the "middle class", and it wasn't surprising that just about everyone you knew had a cell phone.

Each of these groups, having several years of experience with cell phones, has generally learned how to

turn them off, silence them, or handle any situation without alerting/annoying the public.

As cell phones made their way into the hands of the class system's "leftovers"...

suddenly anyone, anywhere could make themselves "feel important" by taking a cell phone call.

I suppose they like to believe that the public thinks they might be a doctor since they are taking a phone call,

but I don't think they realize that the rest of society has already had phones for years

and learned how to keep them quiet.

As a result, the only people whose phones ever go off anymore are:

People who JUST got a phone, meaning:

a) they're extremely poor

b) they're extremely elderly

c) they're in middle school

I'm not sure that anyone would SHOUT any of these three things about themselves in public...

but that's what the cell phone does for them... each time it rings, each time a text chimes,

or whenever it's dark in the audience and someone is glowing from the text screen in front of them.

Much like the excessively-loud truck exhaust, these people are basically saying...

"If you want to know who's at the bottom of society, I'm over here!"

:foryou:

I think I've just developed my first man crush.