• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets See those WWII Japanese Covers
8 8

915 posts in this topic

You know, i thought of posting that (the Flag in the background). Nice copy!

Yeah, ciorac beat me to it, too... :cry: ...but I'll post it anyway! lol

62674faa-89f4-47b8-8588-8393d131b30e_zps625ffad4.jpg

I'm pretty sure that the cover of Shield-Wizard #7 is Kirby penciled (after he and Joe Simon were summarily fired for moonlighting work to Timely's competitors). Indeed, the redesigned Shield has similarities to Captain America costume-wise. Note: Shield-Wizard's Summer issue was probably on the stands in April or May '42 (S&K's last issue of Cap is dated Jan. '42), so the timing fits into their move to DC.

The inking appears to be by Irv Novick, but that's less obvious. At any rate, my guess would be that it's a collaboration because there's no signature (Novick tended to sign work he penciled & inked as did most other MLJ artists). If the color artist had chosen red instead of green for the decapitated skull in the foreground the visual irony would be even more striking.

For the sake of speculation, this may have been a reworked cover sketch intended for an issue after Cap #10, the Wizard being added as an afterthought. It's also within the realm of possibility that the Imperial Japanese flag was added later (if the sketch was done prior to Pearl Harbor). As you've noted, the pirates aren't easily distinguishable as Japanese.

To be clear, this is just my 2c ...adjusted for inflation. ;)

Good points all on this cover ,never even thought about the possible reworked Cap cover theory. But again, what irony (or revenge) that he chose Cap's patriotic predecessor to have a published cover for after getting terminated at Timely.

Part of the fun of collecting these books is all the speculation we can make about various (cover, story, publisher) choices on these seminal works! Glad i own a copy (but your Mile High :cloud9: )

Edited by Sagii

8409213584_992cb31c63.jpg

(PAC #21)

mm

Woohoo! Marty with a superhero Timely! Very nice, Marty. :applause:

I might find some more if I keep digging!

8472706247_8010e7db86.jpg

(PAC #56)

mm

I can only dream of what it was like to buy Timely's off the newstand Marty! Just think, a whole stack to pick through at once. Were you a "condition" guy then or did you just grab the one in front?

8409213584_992cb31c63.jpg

(PAC #21)

mm

Woohoo! Marty with a superhero Timely! Very nice, Marty. :applause:

I might find some more if I keep digging!

8472706247_8010e7db86.jpg

(PAC #56)

mm

I can only dream of what it was like to buy Timely's off the newstand Marty! Just think, a whole stack to pick through at once. Were you a "condition" guy then or did you just grab the one in front?

As long as the cover wasn't ripped it was mine!

mm