• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets See those WWII Japanese Covers
8 8

915 posts in this topic

I think this cover rivals Exciting Comics 35 as one of the coolest Jap war covers (thumbs u

USAComics13001.jpg

Those are some evil yellow devils!! I didn't know Bucky was such a fan of the machine gun - did he use that a lot in the stories themselves?

Cross posting this in the Gerber thread. This is listed as a Gerber 7, but I wonder if it's more like an 8...

103342.jpg

Another issue I need to get.

This is a great example of the demonization of the Japanese at the time. I have always found it interesting that, for the most part, the Germans were not depicted in comics physically as monsters to anywhere near the same extent as the Japanese. Could this stem from the ultra anti-Japanese sentiment at the time stemming from Pearl Harbour?

Cross posting this in the Gerber thread. This is listed as a Gerber 7, but I wonder if it's more like an 8...

103342.jpg

This is a great example of the demonization of the Japanese at the time. I have always found it interesting that, for the most part, the Germans were not depicted in comics physically as monsters to anywhere near the same extent as the Japanese. Could this stem from the ultra anti-Japanese sentiment at the time stemming from Pearl Harbour?

Absolutely Josh. The direct attack by Japan on our land created a most hated resentment that trickled into comics at that time.

103342.jpg

Absolutely Josh. The direct attack by Japan on our land created a most hated resentment that trickled into comics at that time.

Very true, guys. Check out those 1942 "Remember Pearl Harbor" covers that ran on Marvel Mystery and the other Timely titles for some pretty direct evidence of this... Pearl Harbor was still a fresh atrocity, and the rage is really palpable in those covers.