• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets See those WWII Japanese Covers
8 8

915 posts in this topic

Cross posting this in the Gerber thread. This is listed as a Gerber 7, but I wonder if it's more like an 8...

103342.jpg

Another issue I need to get.

This is a great example of the demonization of the Japanese at the time. I have always found it interesting that, for the most part, the Germans were not depicted in comics physically as monsters to anywhere near the same extent as the Japanese. Could this stem from the ultra anti-Japanese sentiment at the time stemming from Pearl Harbour?

Absolutely Josh. The direct attack by Japan on our land created a most hated resentment that trickled into comics at that time.

Very true, guys. Check out those 1942 "Remember Pearl Harbor" covers that ran on Marvel Mystery and the other Timely titles for some pretty direct evidence of this... Pearl Harbor was still a fresh atrocity, and the rage is really palpable in those covers.

I think the historian Stephen Ambrose might have explained this racial hatred the best. In his book "Americans at War," Ambrose wrote, "From beginning to end the Japanese-American war in the Pacific was waged with a barbarism and race hatred that was staggering in scope, savage almost beyond belief, and catastrophic in consequence. Each side regarded the other as subhuman vermin. They called each other beasts, roaches, rats, monkeys and worse. Atrocities abounded, committed by individuals, by units, by entire armies, by governments. Quarter was neither asked nor given. It was a descent into hell."

"By contrast, the race hatred that characterized the Pacific war was absent in the German-American war. How could there be racism in a war that pitted German soldiers who had American cousins against American soldiers who had German parents? Fully one-third of the U.S. Army was German in origin."

Cross posting this in the Gerber thread. This is listed as a Gerber 7, but I wonder if it's more like an 8...

103342.jpg

Another issue I need to get.

This is a great example of the demonization of the Japanese at the time. I have always found it interesting that, for the most part, the Germans were not depicted in comics physically as monsters to anywhere near the same extent as the Japanese. Could this stem from the ultra anti-Japanese sentiment at the time stemming from Pearl Harbour?

Absolutely Josh. The direct attack by Japan on our land created a most hated resentment that trickled into comics at that time.

Very true, guys. Check out those 1942 "Remember Pearl Harbor" covers that ran on Marvel Mystery and the other Timely titles for some pretty direct evidence of this... Pearl Harbor was still a fresh atrocity, and the rage is really palpable in those covers.

I think the historian Stephen Ambrose might have explained this racial hatred the best. In his book "Americans at War," Ambrose wrote, "From beginning to end the Japanese-American war in the Pacific was waged with a barbarism and race hatred that was staggering in scope, savage almost beyond belief, and catastrophic in consequence. Each side regarded the other as subhuman vermin. They called each other beasts, roaches, rats, monkeys and worse. Atrocities abounded, committed by individuals, by units, by entire armies, by governments. Quarter was neither asked nor given. It was a descent into hell."

"By contrast, the race hatred that characterized the Pacific war was absent in the German-American war. How could there be racism in a war that pitted German soldiers who had American cousins against American soldiers who had German parents? Fully one-third of the U.S. Army was German in origin."

i'm a history major [back in the dark ages], and big ambrose fan, and i'm sure there's alot to what he says. but the racism/atrocity incidence falls a little flat on the japanese side when you remember that there were no greater atrocities than those visited by the japanese on the chinese in the 30's and 40's. now as to us, i agree; i don't think we ever drop the bomb in europe, and tho' the sneak attack may have had something to do with that dichotomy, i also think the germans were simply "like us" and wouldn't get the ultimate weapon. don't know that it woulda been much worse than what we did to "our cousins" in dresden, tho'.

RangersComics1492Pennsylvania.jpg

Alanna for the win!!!!!!!!!

no doubt; proud of my two little penn's above, but holy mack'el andy!

and an excellent example of o'street being out of the know--by guide the subby 7 in 8.0 is worth over 3X the rangers in 9.2. but i'm fairly sure on the auction block the rangers gets a bigger hammer call.

Yes, this particular issue seems to have "broken out" recently. Heritage sold a VF+ for an astonishing amount recently and followed up soon after with a FVF copy that went for about $1200! But I'd have thought the collector base for the Subby is going to be a lot deeper in the long run?

I think it's my only GA double cover.

thrilling470001.jpg

Someone didn't pay attention in history class. :baiting: Wrong continent.

But I've got a double cover, too.

Thrilling4790001reduced.jpg

lol..I think I posted in another thread that I should never post after having a glass of wine with dinner...I just knew it was a war cover...but how interesting there were 2, double covers of the same book!