• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS: Misc Massachusetts Pedigree CLOSED

150 posts in this topic

What the hell? Can't someone run the REAL douchebags off instead of the legit and accountable sellers? I just don't get it.

He said they were peds and how to get CGC to acknowledge it. Bob came on and confirmed. That should have been enough. No?

I saw something similar the other night here as well. Someone questioning a seller's price because he had seen what the seller had paid for a book and he was making "too much" money on it. Really? Is that the buyer's business? Or should he just care about what he's paying.

I'm astounded by how pious a good many of us appear to be.

I have nothing more to add about this situation other than

1) The Mass books I sold to Stuart were never pressed. Heck, I didn't know anything about pressing until I learned about it here on the Boards ! (lol)

2) I know CGC, specifically Mark Haspel, checked out my story and the provenance. I assume he checked with Marnin, making sure there was no overlap with the books he purchased.

Back in the mid-90's I bought a few books from Marnin. As was customary in those days I sent Marnin my want list (SIlver Age stuff). About two months later I get a letter from Marnin stating that every single book on my want list is available for purchase! Since Marnin was asking double top guide on everything I declined.

Lordy, these offerings were the Mass books, what I could have had ! Luckily, the Lord gave me another chance about a year later at the Bronze Mass.

Years ago, the only pedigree I ever heard of was the Mile High Church books. I purchased a couple Mile High's with nothing more than a verbal confirmation from the seller.

I bought books from John Hauser's Green River collection and didn't know they were Green River. They were just nice books he had for sale.

I bought many books from Showcase Dan but I sent them all back (save one) because I did not like the signature on the cover. Ever hear of the Winnipeg collection ? FYI, the one I kept, because it was impossible to find in high grade, was the Green Lantern 7, now a CGC 9.2 keeper.

The first SA collection I remember coming to market with 'certs' was the Northland.

Vinny only put a sticker on the label with the Oakland collection.

I only got a few Curators after most was sold and I only received a scribbled hand written note on a small piece of paper from John Hauser saying it was a Curator.

As someone else said, Mass pedigree or not, these are still nice books.

What I find troubling is that Jim doesn't think he did anything wrong. :screwy:

Jim has been nice, although brash, in his PMs to me. He finds nothing wrong with questioning these books in a public forum. He finds nothing wrong in questioning the certification of these Mass books, regardless of the truth. Jim has a thing for certificates and if you attempt to sell a non cert book on the boards he will likely come after you as well. The pedigree police on the seen. Great, for him. He finally has a outlet for those types of issues that obviously plague his mind.

I rarely see board members attack a fellow members sales thread. If I price a book at 20X guide, most people just pass it over and move in. If I was selling a Mile High Jim would ask to see a picture the guy who put the book on the stands and a picture of the pencil arrival date he placed on the book......Oh, and a cert, the book needs a cert.......

Likes often to err on the side of caution...to the point where everything is frozen and deadlocked.

This was a stupid way to derail a thread.

As mentioned earlier Jim simply could have asked the question *once* and let buyers decide. Nobody in this thread gives a rat's penishead what you personally need to justify the ped designation. We just want to see the books.

If want to have a discussion about ped designations take it to another thread.

:screwy:

Precisely

I, for one, was enjoying the thread and seeing the fine books. I really don't care about pedigree designations but I don't need some two bit forum police with a inflated sense of worth causing me to miss out on seeing some fine books. There are few good venues to purchase as it is without having to put up with Barney Fife telling me my business.

+1

barn.bmp

Jim, you are entitled to your opinion. In this case you are dead wrong and a bit out of line. You basically called Bob and I liars.Bob bought these books in the mid 1990s, before certs really came into existence. Bob bought them from the original owner of the Mass collection, the guy who bought them off the news stand and put them in a box, the OO. I bought them from Bob. How is any chain broke here? You need some glossy cert to make you feel better? Great, please derail some other threads with your certificate paranoia.

Neg, theres no difference between this and the recent Mile High 2 collection Chuck found under some stairs a couple years ago which CGC now won't certfiy as It tainted the whole collection. How is this any different? I'm not doubting you but the question begs to be asked....and I'm not out of line for asking it...

Jim

bravo, Jim, way to go.

this is what happens when you can't distinguish between erring on the side of caution and being a paranoic imbecile.

a noob trying to pimp books that clearly don't look like they would be considered high quality enough to belong to a well-known ped? yeah, sure, take a giant steaming poo on them.

a well-known long-time Forumite who receives corroboration for his information from another well-known long-time Forumite? jeez, i dunno, maybe you should remove yourself from the thread if you're not freaking interested in buying anything and shut the :censored: up.

gotamighty, what the #&(# is your deal, Jim? are you trying to accomplish anything at all by making a broad generalisation about the impact a freaking COA has in somebody's bloody sales thread? what the *$#$) is wrong with you? at some point did it never occur to you to use your grey matter to possibly think about what you were going to do before you did it?

:frustrated:

Oh, by the way. the word you're struggling to get is "provenance." and the mile high 2 cache wasn't found under any stairs, you mannerless dillhole. you're confused about more than just social nicety apparently

This was a sorry display and a perfect example of thread crapping.

Once the chain of custody of the books was established and attested to by the person Stu got them from it should have been end of story.

I have known Stu for about 20 years and I would wager he's forgotten more about pedigrees than his current detractors have ever known on the topic.

And by the way:

Provenance is a the history of the ownership or location of an object.

Providence is a city in Rhode Island.

Using the wrong one makes Baby Jesus cry. :cry:

These books were no good anyway since I'm sure they were all pressed.

:P

Another selling thread bites the dust.

da da dum dum dum

Another one bites the dust...

And another one's gone and another one's gone....

Greggy got his so that's all that matters. :cloud9:

And no, Chris, the books I received from Stuart hadn't been pressed at all.

Are you sure I didn't press them? How would you really know? I could have pressed them all.....What did the voices in your head say? Listen to the voices, the voices know all.......

I am quite sure even though I didn't even have to ask, Stuart. :foryou:

The voices in my head said, "Sweet books, I wonder if he has anymore." That thought was quickly followed by, "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!" :insane:

I'm sorry your sales thread got dumped on. I guess awe4one still has an axe to grind with you. What a maroon. :screwy:

Oh, and just so everyone knows, thanks to awe4one, the bulk of the books were sold to one individual via PM. Any of you guys that may have wanted one or two can thank him for ruining it for everyone else. (thumbs u

I'm relatively new to the boards myself. 2 things that I know for sure:

1) If you don't like the book(grade,price etc) never post your feelings-keep them to yourself

2) PM is there for a reason- have a concern talk to the person offline and get issues resolved.

Most selling threads are filled with back and forth "bickering" losing sight that legitimate sellers have quality books for sale. these books get lost with pages of complete BS.

In this case, while it may be a legitimate question as to the pedigree, once confirmed it should have ended the debate. To continue after the fact was just a move!!!

da da dum dum dum

And no, Chris, the books I received from Stuart hadn't been pressed at all.

Are you sure I didn't press them? How would you really know? I could have pressed them all.....What did the voices in your head say? Listen to the voices, the voices know all.......

I am quite sure even though I didn't even have to ask, Stuart. :foryou:

The voices in my head said, "Sweet books, I wonder if he has anymore." That thought was quickly followed by, "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!" :insane:

I'm sorry your sales thread got dumped on. I guess awe4one still has an axe to grind with you. What a maroon. :screwy:

Oh, and just so everyone knows, thanks to awe4one, the bulk of the books were sold to one individual via PM. Any of you guys that may have wanted one or two can thank him for ruining it for everyone else. (thumbs u

I bet it was Loey. Coming soon to a Comiclink auction near you . . . Mass ped Bronze.

these selling threads derailments are absolute BS. Marnin bought the Mass books issued thru 1969 and never issued a COA. does that mean the Mass pedigree never existed? Marnin said someone (Bomber-Bob i presume) bought the later books. i can't believe stuart knuckled under to someone who obviously: knows nothing about the history of these books or to stay the hell out of someone's sales thread.

Since when is asking about and questioning the provendence of a collection out of bounds in a selling thread?

I think you're the one who needs to re-evaluate who you're berating....

Jim

You gotta love the irony of a person asking not once but twice about the "provendence" of a comic. He doesn't even know what he's asking for but sure as hell wanted to argue for it. :roflmao:

If your looking for "provendence" perhaps try Rhode Island :baiting:

da da dum dum dum

So, the "truth" is finally out there...These Mass books are all phony and all pressed. Any other speculators what to chime in? Remember, the crazier your post, the easier it is to see your paranoia. Come on, don't hold back. If there are any other board members that hear voices, now is the time to let those voices be HEARD.

Just in case it wasn't obvious I was being sarcastic in line one with the pressing comment, then sad that another selling thread was killed in the middle part, then finally silly with the greggy remark.

It was very late and my eyes were half closed while typing...

What the hell? Can't someone run the REAL douchebags off instead of the legit and accountable sellers? I just don't get it.

He said they were peds and how to get CGC to acknowledge it. Bob came on and confirmed. That should have been enough. No?

I saw something similar the other night here as well. Someone questioning a seller's price because he had seen what the seller had paid for a book and he was making "too much" money on it. Really? Is that the buyer's business? Or should he just care about what he's paying.

I'm astounded by how pious a good many of us appear to be.

+1

HOLY CHIT AGAIN!!!!!!!

Come on guys......let's be a little more civil in these selling threads......PLEASE

What people sell books for is their business, don't like the price.....move on...or make an offer

Unfortunately COAs really have very little weight. Just a piece of paper.

It's the people signing them that carry the weight.

2c

Squeezing the lemonade out of this lemon of a derailed sales thread, I learned something new and interesting: that Marnin didn't acquire the entire Mass collection, but only the SA up to around 1970. And Bomber-Bob was astute enough to nab a bunch of the gorgeous BA from the collection.

Just think, the Mass copies of BA keys like Hulk 180 and 181, GS X 1, X 94, ASM 121, 122 and 129, and the Adams Tecs and Bats were all there for the taking. Marnin passed on the BA Mass, and Dan G didn't want to deal with the BA Winnipegs and Golden States. Doug Schmell takes alot of heat on these boards from time to time (with good reason), but you have to hand it to him, Bomber-B, Steve Ritter, and the others for being savvy and prescient collectors and dealers who scooped up the BA portions of the Mass, Winnipeg, Golden State and other pedigrees. Those of us who love collecting both BA and pedigree comics owe them a debt of gratitude for keeping track of their provenance.

Squeezing the lemonade out of this lemon of a derailed sales thread, I learned something new and interesting: that Marnin didn't acquire the entire Mass collection, but only the SA up to around 1970. And Bomber-Bob was astute enough to nab a bunch of the gorgeous BA from the collection.

Just think, the Mass copies of BA keys like Hulk 180 and 181, GS X 1, X 94, ASM 121, 122 and 129, and the Adams Tecs and Bats were all there for the taking. Marnin passed on the BA Mass, and Dan G didn't want to deal with the BA Winnipegs and Golden States. Doug Schmell takes alot of heat on these boards from time to time (with good reason), but you have to hand it to him, Bomber-B, Steve Ritter, and the others for being savvy and prescient collectors and dealers who scooped up the BA portions of the Mass, Winnipeg, Golden State and other pedigrees. Those of us who love collecting both BA and pedigree comics owe them a debt of gratitude for keeping track of their provenance.

:gossip: Marnin didn't pass on ALL the BA. I can attest to that.

Slap a sticker on them, maybe that will keep him quiet. Vincent didn't need no stinking COA's :kidaround:

On a more serious note, Stu has a solid reputation here, that is supposed to mean something on these boards...

th_ll106a.jpg