• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS: Misc Massachusetts Pedigree CLOSED

150 posts in this topic

Squeezing the lemonade out of this lemon of a derailed sales thread, I learned something new and interesting: that Marnin didn't acquire the entire Mass collection, but only the SA up to around 1970. And Bomber-Bob was astute enough to nab a bunch of the gorgeous BA from the collection.

Just think, the Mass copies of BA keys like Hulk 180 and 181, GS X 1, X 94, ASM 121, 122 and 129, and the Adams Tecs and Bats were all there for the taking. Marnin passed on the BA Mass, and Dan G didn't want to deal with the BA Winnipegs and Golden States. Doug Schmell takes alot of heat on these boards from time to time (with good reason), but you have to hand it to him, Bomber-B, Steve Ritter, and the others for being savvy and prescient collectors and dealers who scooped up the BA portions of the Mass, Winnipeg, Golden State and other pedigrees. Those of us who love collecting both BA and pedigree comics owe them a debt of gratitude for keeping track of their provenance.

Thanks for the kudos but all I was doing was picking up some nice books. I knew Marnin had purchased all the SA stuff but it wasn't until he got his ASM run slabbed and certified by CGC as a pedigree that I realized what I had.

Please realize I was a SA collector and didn't care about BA. I was just looking to complete some titles like Lois Lane, Wonder Woman, etc. They were generally only offered in runs so I passed on many BA titles. At the time, I already had a complete Spidey run so I passed on Spidey ! One exception, I needed an upgrade on my ASM 129 so I made a strong offer on that copy alone. I also asked for any stray 12 centers that maybe didn't get shipped to Marnin . I liked the esoteric BA titles and took the Cat run. I asked for Night Nurse but it was already gone ?!?

Some titles were completely sold to another collector, even the SA portion. I know Marnin said he didn't get some titles like Superman. I had a complete run of JLA so I passed on those. I liked Mad magazine so I have a long run of Mass Mad starting in the mid-1960's. The OO had the Overstreet guides starting with #1 but I didn't feel they were worth the money.

The books were stored in stacks in freezer bags and shipped to me this way, often resulting in some minor damage but the paper quality, cover gloss, and overall freshness of these books were breathtaking. It was fun receiving long runs of a title.

I sound like an old man reminiscing about his life, maybe I am ?!?

Since this is shot to hell anyways I will add to the fire.

I dont know which is worst. The slight derail, or the harping and quoting, and utter destruction of the thread. One person making a comment may be bad, but 10 people coming in to the aid of the seller did NOT help. Over all, this was a joint effort by people with both good and ill intention. In the end, everybody loses.

Nochips has a fantastic reputation, and is intellegent enough to answer any questions. The real downer is alot of us missed out on some fantastic and gorgeous books. Now many are to be locked away, or slabbed and sold at auction. The Mass pedigree is one of my favorites, and I own many of them. But for someone who has never had the oppurtunity, they are missing out on some beautiful books. Even the low grade copies are sweet.

Sorry it went down like this, I was interested in picking up a few books as I finally have some spare coinage.

Squeezing the lemonade out of this lemon of a derailed sales thread, I learned something new and interesting: that Marnin didn't acquire the entire Mass collection, but only the SA up to around 1970. And Bomber-Bob was astute enough to nab a bunch of the gorgeous BA from the collection.

Just think, the Mass copies of BA keys like Hulk 180 and 181, GS X 1, X 94, ASM 121, 122 and 129, and the Adams Tecs and Bats were all there for the taking. Marnin passed on the BA Mass, and Dan G didn't want to deal with the BA Winnipegs and Golden States. Doug Schmell takes alot of heat on these boards from time to time (with good reason), but you have to hand it to him, Bomber-B, Steve Ritter, and the others for being savvy and prescient collectors and dealers who scooped up the BA portions of the Mass, Winnipeg, Golden State and other pedigrees. Those of us who love collecting both BA and pedigree comics owe them a debt of gratitude for keeping track of their provenance.

Thanks for the kudos but all I was doing was picking up some nice books. I knew Marnin had purchased all the SA stuff but it wasn't until he got his ASM run slabbed and certified by CGC as a pedigree that I realized what I had.

Please realize I was a SA collector and didn't care about BA. I was just looking to complete some titles like Lois Lane, Wonder Woman, etc. They were generally only offered in runs so I passed on many BA titles. At the time, I already had a complete Spidey run so I passed on Spidey ! One exception, I needed an upgrade on my ASM 129 so I made a strong offer on that copy alone. I also asked for any stray 12 centers that maybe didn't get shipped to Marnin . I liked the esoteric BA titles and took the Cat run. I asked for Night Nurse but it was already gone ?!?

Some titles were completely sold to another collector, even the SA portion. I know Marnin said he didn't get some titles like Superman. I had a complete run of JLA so I passed on those. I liked Mad magazine so I have a long run of Mass Mad starting in the mid-1960's. The OO had the Overstreet guides starting with #1 but I didn't feel they were worth the money.

The books were stored in stacks in freezer bags and shipped to me this way, often resulting in some minor damage but the paper quality, cover gloss, and overall freshness of these books were breathtaking. It was fun receiving long runs of a title.

I sound like an old man reminiscing about his life, maybe I am ?!?

Wow. Freezer bags. That's cool. Were they yellow?

I received over 30 PMs about this thread. More than half them offers apologies for awe4one's thread derailment. Hey, it's OK, nobody died here, it's just comic books.

I doubt I will be selling books here for a while. I do this for extra cash and fun. This was far from fun.

I received over 30 PMs about this thread. More than half them offers apologies for awe4one's thread derailment. Hey, it's OK, nobody died here, it's just comic books.

I doubt I will be selling books here for a while. I do this for extra cash and fun. This was far from fun.

That stinks.. If you still have the DD, House of Mystery, or Doom Patrols PM me. I would like to get a few..

I'm sorry you feel that way. You shouldn't let one act of douchebaggery ruin it for everyone else. Most importantly, you shouldn't let it ruin it for you...

I already got all the good books already. :slapfight:
I was actually going to buy that 100 pager last month. But I slacked and missed out. I do however have the Northland copy still :slapfight:
(shrug)

That stinks.. If you still have the DD, House of Mystery, or Doom Patrols PM me. I would like to get a few..

I would like to learn of any available HOM Pat passes on as well as House of Secrets, Beware the Creeper and any DC 48/52 page books. Thanks.